Calorie Control Council

Options
This site, caloriecontrol.org ,
seems to be free of woo, full of sanity, good advice front-and-center, and just freaking useful.

The amazing thing is it seems to be new as it doesn't pop up in a search on this site. I learned about it from a friend who called to tell me what it said his BMI was and what it said his healthy BMI was and it told him the truth about how to lose weight.

I hope this isn't worthy of a mod-lock.

The 'healthy weight calculator' appears to be a NEAT calculator because it doesn't include body-fat %.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Kind of like MFP...
  • JeromeBarry1
    Options
    I'm in giddy teen mode. The food calorie calculator is powered by the USDA National Nutrient Database and is actually EASY to use.
  • JeromeBarry1
    Options
    Kind of like MFP...

Without the user-generated woo.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Good readings there. Definitely a woo-free site. I love how they mythify the "noncaloric sweeteners make you fat" hogwash.

Right? If that shiz were true I'd be 600lbs at this point, eye rolls for days.

Great link OP, thanks for sharing!
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Wow, really like that site! Good find, thanks for sharing OP!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    I like it.

MFP is about five years behind in cleaning up the database. And by that I mean, it will never happen. How hard would it be to have a separate or at least clearly marked USDA database search on this site?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    From the About page:
    The Calorie Control Council, established in 1966, is an international association representing the low- and reduced-calorie food and beverage industry. Today it represents manufacturers and suppliers of low- and reduced-calorie foods and beverages, including manufacturers and suppliers of more than two dozen different alternative sweeteners, fibers and other low-calorie, dietary ingredients. Council staff includes experts certified in public health, food and nutrition.

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Wow. Great find. Thanks for sharing.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I used their calculator to see what it gave me in calories for weight loss. For sedentary it gave me 962, For lightly active it gave me 1175.

I was really shocked at the first one.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    susanp57 wrote: »
    I used their calculator to see what it gave me in calories for weight loss. For sedentary it gave me 962, For lightly active it gave me 1175.

You must be tiny. Seemed spot on for me at 2397.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options

I got 1181 for sedentary. I'm 5'0" and currently 183lbs, goal weight of 135. I won't eat less than 1200 though!
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options

You must be tiny. Seemed spot on for me at 2397.

I'm 5'5", 144. I went back and checked again. & on a different puter. The only thing I can figure is that it is using my age, 61, as a factor.

Yep I went back and put in 40 and got 1088.