AND the weight loss journey begins...

Options
ccvpanda
ccvpanda Posts: 10 Member
edited April 2017 in Introduce Yourself
I'm 28yrs old & 433lbs. I've let my injuries and excuses get the best of me. Drs are pushing medical emergency gastric bypass on me, but i want to give it one last go on my own! I can use all the encouragement and up lifting friends i can get!! Also any dieting tips and in home exercises would be gladly appreciated!

Replies

• LizM031315
    LizM031315 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Tips: Drink tons of water, log everything you eat good and bad, and move!!! You go this, wishing you nothing but success along your journey :)

• warmxintentions
    warmxintentions Posts: 43 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I am 27 and need to lose 160 lbs at 5'2. I've had lap band surgery and did not lose a single pound since I got it in 2008. It is 90% diet and 10% exercise. I get that now and I am starting my journey to a healthy lifestyle today. We can help eachother!
  • HdezJ
    HdezJ Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My man!!! Keep up the good work bro. Stay away from surgery if you can. My little brorher was weighting about 355 and i motivated him to lose weight. No lie, in 2 months he was down to 304. So you can defiantly do it. Since you have quiet a bit of weight youll drop it stinking fast. Just keep moving and keep that deit on point. If you need any suggestions hit me up or freind me bro. Id love to help you get to where you wanna be
  • Jabbarwocky
    Jabbarwocky Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    The best tip that everyone gives on here is be honest with yourself. If you eat it, log it. It dawned on me a few weeks ago how badly I was sabotaging myself by not logging the "tastes" I was taking. I had hit a plateau for a bit and caught myself taking about a quarter of a serving of trail mix because I had the munchies and realized that I had no intention of logging it. I stopped and thought about it and realized that I would do this several times after work but before dinner so I was easily eating a full serving or more every day and not logging it. Also, look for high protein snacks and meals. I can eat a pound of chocolate and still feel hungry but one serving of greek yogurt and Kashi Golean cereal keeps me full till lunch time. Most importantly, DONT DENY YOURSELF THE FOODS YOU LOVE!!! I was recently diagnosed diabetic and have NO intention of giving up ice cream. I do, however, have to be much more sensible about how much and when I eat it. Personally, the longer I deny myself something I'm craving the worse the binge ends up being.

Its ok to go over your calorie goal every once in a while. Remember, this is as much about changing habits as losing weight and change takes time and there WILL be setbacks involved. The main thing is to accept that it happened and get right back on the horse.

As far as exercise goes, I would highly suggest you speak with professionals about this. Considering your weight and the fact that injuries helped you to get there, you really need to be careful so you don't reinjure yourself. That being said, buy a tracker and pay attention to it. My wife and I recently purchased Fitbit Charge 2's and it has really helped us to keep on track. It even gives you hourly reminders to get up and move! And I'd have to say that for you, right now THAT is key. Don't worry so much about scheduled exercises so much as making it a point to just move more. If you have two bathrooms in your house always go to the furthest one from you. If you get up for a drink of water, walk down the hall and back just because. Drink water, lots and lots of water. If your like me and don't like just water, try adding something like Crystal Light for flavoring. I've seen people using cucumbers and lemons and such to make "healthy" flavored water but I can't bring myself to do that just yet. I will say though that after using the Crystal Light for a while, its made it much easier to just drink plain water. Try to minimize caffeine and diet soda, they can hinder progress.

Remember, you didn't gain this weight in a day and you most certainly wont lose it in a day. Slow and steady wins this race. Don't fall for any of that fad crap that says you can lose 30 pounds in a month. Yes, its possible to do this but it isn't healthy or sustainable which, in my opinion anyway, makes it worthless.

Good luck.
  • Lilylee757
    Lilylee757 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Definitely stay away from the surgery. Met too many people with adverse effects. Take it one day at a time don't think about tomorrow, only today. Log daily and reach out for support. You can do it!
  • alisaknewby
    alisaknewby Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm trying to lose 100lbs as my first goal. Maybe we can motivate each other.
  • HdezJ
    HdezJ Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If you want something you have to go out and get it, work for it, fight for what you want. Aint nothing given to you. Your about to take one of the hardest roads ahead of you. If it were easy everybody would do it! It depends on you and nobody else to accomplish your goals. How bad do you want it!?
    If you kinda want it, you aint gonna get no where. Simple as that. But if your willing to change the world is your yours. Dont see it as a dream my man, see it as a reality, something that is going to happen, something th has happened in your near future. If you have that outlook anything possible.
  • SylverWolfPDX
    SylverWolfPDX Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi there! ~ Obese 5'3" Boxer/Bodybuilder here. Just think of me as a Pigmy Rhino with incredible Stamina LOL
    Feel free to Add me if you're ever in need of motivation or teammate. My highest = 332Lbs (So I get it)
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I recommend a personal trainer if you can afford it. There's a guy at my gym who must have started at >300lbs, and with the help of a PT got himself going. I regularly see him in the gym working his backside off, and he has lost loads of weight. He does a lot of power stuff: weights, resistance and impact (he's a total boss at box jumps) and it really shows.

You can do it!

• ccvpanda
    Options
    LizM031315 wrote: »
    Tips: Drink tons of water, log everything you eat good and bad, and move!!! You go this, wishing you nothing but success along your journey :)

Will do and Thank you so so much!!
  • ccvpanda
    Options
    I am 27 and need to lose 160 lbs at 5'2. I've had lap band surgery and did not lose a single pound since I got it in 2008. It is 90% diet and 10% exercise. I get that now and I am starting my journey to a healthy lifestyle today. We can help eachother!

Yeah. Im finally figuring that out. My diet is huge! Thank you!
  • ccvpanda
    Options
    HdezJ wrote: »
    My man!!! Keep up the good work bro. Stay away from surgery if you can. My little brorher was weighting about 355 and i motivated him to lose weight. No lie, in 2 months he was down to 304. So you can defiantly do it. Since you have quiet a bit of weight youll drop it stinking fast. Just keep moving and keep that deit on point. If you need any suggestions hit me up or freind me bro. Id love to help you get to where you wanna be

Thank you bro! You the real MVP!! Much appreciated!!
  • ccvpanda
    Options
    The best tip that everyone gives on here is be honest with yourself. If you eat it, log it. It dawned on me a few weeks ago how badly I was sabotaging myself by not logging the "tastes" I was taking. I had hit a plateau for a bit and caught myself taking about a quarter of a serving of trail mix because I had the munchies and realized that I had no intention of logging it. I stopped and thought about it and realized that I would do this several times after work but before dinner so I was easily eating a full serving or more every day and not logging it. Also, look for high protein snacks and meals. I can eat a pound of chocolate and still feel hungry but one serving of greek yogurt and Kashi Golean cereal keeps me full till lunch time. Most importantly, DONT DENY YOURSELF THE FOODS YOU LOVE!!! I was recently diagnosed diabetic and have NO intention of giving up ice cream. I do, however, have to be much more sensible about how much and when I eat it. Personally, the longer I deny myself something I'm craving the worse the binge ends up being.

Its ok to go over your calorie goal every once in a while. Remember, this is as much about changing habits as losing weight and change takes time and there WILL be setbacks involved. The main thing is to accept that it happened and get right back on the horse.

As far as exercise goes, I would highly suggest you speak with professionals about this. Considering your weight and the fact that injuries helped you to get there, you really need to be careful so you don't reinjure yourself. That being said, buy a tracker and pay attention to it. My wife and I recently purchased Fitbit Charge 2's and it has really helped us to keep on track. It even gives you hourly reminders to get up and move! And I'd have to say that for you, right now THAT is key. Don't worry so much about scheduled exercises so much as making it a point to just move more. If you have two bathrooms in your house always go to the furthest one from you. If you get up for a drink of water, walk down the hall and back just because. Drink water, lots and lots of water. If your like me and don't like just water, try adding something like Crystal Light for flavoring. I've seen people using cucumbers and lemons and such to make "healthy" flavored water but I can't bring myself to do that just yet. I will say though that after using the Crystal Light for a while, its made it much easier to just drink plain water. Try to minimize caffeine and diet soda, they can hinder progress.

Remember, you didn't gain this weight in a day and you most certainly wont lose it in a day. Slow and steady wins this race. Don't fall for any of that fad crap that says you can lose 30 pounds in a month. Yes, its possible to do this but it isn't healthy or sustainable which, in my opinion anyway, makes it worthless.

Good luck.

You didnt have to do what you did, but you did!! And im grateful!! Thank you so much for the reply!! Slow and steady wins the race!!
  • ccvpanda
    Options
    Lilylee757 wrote: »
    Definitely stay away from the surgery. Met too many people with adverse effects. Take it one day at a time don't think about tomorrow, only today. Log daily and reach out for support. You can do it!

Thank you so so much!!
  • ccvpanda
    Options
    Hi I'm trying to lose 100lbs as my first goal. Maybe we can motivate each other.

Awesome, sounds like a plan! Thank you!
  • ccvpanda
    Options
    HdezJ wrote: »
    If you want something you have to go out and get it, work for it, fight for what you want. Aint nothing given to you. Your about to take one of the hardest roads ahead of you. If it were easy everybody would do it! It depends on you and nobody else to accomplish your goals. How bad do you want it!?
    If you kinda want it, you aint gonna get no where. Simple as that. But if your willing to change the world is your yours. Dont see it as a dream my man, see it as a reality, something that is going to happen, something th has happened in your near future. If you have that outlook anything possible.

Yeah. Its really hitting me. Im kind of in a tough pickle now. But im not giving up or in sir!! Im in this till the wheels fall off!!
  • ccvpanda
    Options
    Hi there! ~ Obese 5'3" Boxer/Bodybuilder here. Just think of me as a Pigmy Rhino with incredible Stamina LOL
    Feel free to Add me if you're ever in need of motivation or teammate. My highest = 332Lbs (So I get it)

Haha. Thats awesome! I lack stamina insanely. So im def on the verge of switching that up!! Thank you so much!!
  • ccvpanda
    Options
    I recommend a personal trainer if you can afford it. There's a guy at my gym who must have started at >300lbs, and with the help of a PT got himself going. I regularly see him in the gym working his backside off, and he has lost loads of weight. He does a lot of power stuff: weights, resistance and impact (he's a total boss at box jumps) and it really shows.

You can do it!

That def sounds like something to consider. I may have to put some serious thought in making such a decision. Thank you for the advice!!