Am I the only one who can't lose weight?!

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP have you taken any time to read the stickied, Most Helpful Forum Posts at the top of each section?

This one, in the Getting Started section, I think might be particularly helpful to you, along with the other links embedded within it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1
  • niabo
    niabo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means an expert but I recently (as in 30 mins ago) bought this scale (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004164SRA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) on Amazon for $12 because it was suggested on one of the "get started" threads and I realized that I should probably do the most accurate logging that I can. If I'm already committed to using measuring cups and sitting here logging food, I may as well do it as accurately as possible. I lost 10 pounds in a little less than a month, eating a bit more than 1200 cals, and then felt that I wasn't eating enough because I gained back 3 eating 1700 the very next week. By paying attention to me, I tweaked to about 1350-1400 and feel good while losing. Good luck. (I also wish fruit had a magical zero calories!)
  • JLanziPhTech
    JLanziPhTech Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What kind of protein shake are you consuming. check out my last post and you will understand why I ask...
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    @jessiferrrb I'm well over 100 pounds over weight. I'm 5'2. I cut out all carbs except fruits and veggies. I eat chicken eggs and protein shakes and that's literally all I eat. I usually weigh myself 1 time a week but lately I been weighing myself every chance I get while in the bathroom and it's literally the same every time. But I do it at work so I'm fully clothed with shoes and it's in the middle of the day mostly when I weigh myself. I also have a desk job and only average 3k steps a day if I'm lucky, so that could be part of it. I been wondering what I could do for exercise since I have so much to lose I can't do much.

Firstly, stop doing that. Tomorrow morning, get out of bed, get naked, pee, and weigh at HOME. If you don't have a scale, get one. Do that EVERY morning. Same routine on the same scale. Log that weight every day

Secondly, I also have a desk job, and I normally get at least 10K steps every day, and also hit the gym at night.
    Start walking at lunch, instead of going out to eat (or if you are eating at the office, go walk, and eat before or after).
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    bizgirl26 wrote: »
    I am assuming you may have done weight watchers in the past as they said you could eat all the fruits and veggies you wanted and have zero points. Well although I am sure most of us didn't get overweight on fruits and veggies to begin with they certainly count calorie wise and if you eat any food in excess of your calorie deficit you will gain. Fruits and veggies are very nutritious - you should be eating them. AS everyone has said ensure you weigh and count everything that goes in your mouth . If you are 100 pounds overweight I cant see why you would only eat 1200 calories a day

I did WW years ago, and that was not a rule when I did it. That was a different version. Just wanted to comment that WW has had many different plans over the years. :)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @gamerbabe14
    Hmmm, then I'll just cut out all fruits. Literally eat just chicken and drink protein shakes and only drink water, because that's all I freaking eat. I barely eat now. I never eat my full 1200 calories when I log it (so I think) but apparently I'm eating more. I feel like I'm starving myself. So I really don't feel like I'm eating that much. I went from eating 3k+ calories a day and cut that in half. Soooo... there should still be enough difference for me to lose. It's pissing me off.

Hello nutrient deficiencies if you do this. Are you trying to make yourself sick? If you're eating nothing but chicken and protein drinks you'll find yourself at the doctor really quickly. With scurvy, kidney failure, low iron, low everything else that should be in your blood, hair loss, probably skin problems and organ problems..

If you have a scale, you weight the protein powder before you add water. If it comes premixed, you use a liquid measuring cup to validate the milliliters on the bottle. Make sure you're weighing your chicken (and hopefully other meat too like fish, turkey, red meat, etc) when raw and that you're choosing USDA RAW entries when you enter it into you diary. While you're at it, weigh your eggs too. Crack them into a bowl first.

Don't cut out fruits and veggies. Instead, weight them and COUNT them. It's very simple. You're going overboard with cutting everything out.

I mean this all as friendly advice - I genuinely worry you're cutting out too many types of food.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    @JaydedMiss what do I measure besides chicken. You can't measure protein shakes or anything else I usually eat. I'll cut out fruit. I'll measure veggies. Other than that I don't eat anything else. Except eggs.

You can measure shakes and almost everything. That's why there are labels and the data base. "I'll just cut out this and that" because it's too hard to weigh and measure isn't going to get you losing weight. Buy a nice digital food scale and learn how to use it. Log everything you eat and drink. Try to be as accurate as possible. Hunger depends on how you're mixing up your foods. Everyone needs to learn how to eat as much as possible and still lose. You can do this, so many of us have.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the advice. And @bizgirl26 I've never done weight watchers. I've honestly just assumed that if you as healthy as possible that's the only way you can lose weight. So I figured fruits veggies, chicken, fish and eggs, with premade protein shakes(I use Atkins) thats how I could lose weight. But anything but that has happened. I'm not active very much at all. And yes 100+ pounds to lose is ALOT and a lot of stress. I'm just afraid if I eat anything besides what I already am, I'll gain. I've suffered from physiological binge eating disorder so I struggle with that while losing weight, not to mention, depression. (Which 100% more than likely is due to lack is self esteem issues for sure!) but that's besides the point. I guess I'm just trying to figure out something different. I'll give it more time and see. But I'll be happy to take advice for anyone who's reading this. I already order a good scale from amazon within the amount of time I've posted this. So thank you guys!

i can relate to a lot of this. depression and self worth issues are familiar territory. the stress can't be eliminated altogether but it can be managed. set for yourself reasonable expectations. take things slowly and try as much as is possible to enjoy the journey. if you can add in activity as you go, do so. if you can't do it right away then let it go. if you can keep some foods in the house which you enjoy but don't trigger binges, then do that too. sometimes individually portioned out snacks are my best friend, even if they put me over my daily calories. it's better to eat 150 extra calories of cheese and crackers and not feel starving than it is to deprive yourself until you cave and eat the entire packages of both. some nights i want a glass of wine more and other times i want the calorie deficit more. most times i can have both. 100 pounds is a lot to lose. but 10 pounds is pretty manageable. set up mini goals.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I've seriously been dieting for almost 4 weeks now and either I stay the same or I gain. I started out @ 1400 calories and I saw that I gained, so then I went down to 1200 and now I'm maintaining that same weight. I've gained 35 pounds since my last weight loss experience last year, and I feel hopeless like I can't lose weight no matter how hard I try. I haven't started exercising yet because I figured like last year when I lost 30 pounds I only ate healthy and didn't even exercise so I thought this experience could be the same. I don't know what to do at this point. I'm doing all veggies fruits and high protein low carb. I average like 50g of carbs a day.. that's low. So I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm frustrated and feel hopeless. Anyone else?

This same thing happened to me too.. I thought, well my calories are less and years ago I lost it without working out...
    For me, I wasn't eating the best food choices compared to doing this years ago, plus I have to work out at least twice a week to lose...
    Are you sure you're measuring accurately? I agree get a scale and make sure you document every bite of whatever you take! You may not be logging accurately, take a look at your macros and see how you're doing, also check your sodium and sugar?
    Other than that, I love that chart that someone posted above!
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    And I agree- don't cut out fruits! Just watch your daily sugar intake and don't go overboard... you can have what you want in moderation!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    @jessiferrrb I'm well over 100 pounds over weight. I'm 5'2. I cut out all carbs except fruits and veggies. I eat chicken eggs and protein shakes and that's literally all I eat. I usually weigh myself 1 time a week but lately I been weighing myself every chance I get while in the bathroom and it's literally the same every time. But I do it at work so I'm fully clothed with shoes and it's in the middle of the day mostly when I weigh myself. I also have a desk job and only average 3k steps a day if I'm lucky, so that could be part of it. I been wondering what I could do for exercise since I have so much to lose I can't do much.

I'll also add that your weight fluctuates a lot during the day. Weighing yourself multiple times per day, or at different times and under different conditions is going to make tracking your weight more difficult. It's usually recommended to weigh yourself in the morning after using the restroom either naked or with similar weight clothing every time. Weigh every day if you want to be familiar with your typical weight fluctuations, or do it less frequently if things like seeing your weight jump up after a higher sodium day (water retention) is going to discourage you.

On exercise, I'm assuming you have no physical disabilities, you're just concerned about the impact of the extra weight. Given that, walking, cycling, elliptical, rowing are all safe bets and low impact.