weight loss...inch gain

JaydedMiss
JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
im really just curious why i whooshed last night down 3 pounds so i decided to measure myself the same ways iv been doing since iv now hit 100 pounds lost. Im well practiced did it all the same ways.

But this is the first time iv lost weight but gained inches? Not a small amount of them either 1-2 inches all over my arms and ribs only place i lost an inch is my boobs but im putting that down to an overly tight sports bra. Any idea why? Seems water retention isnt likely after a whoosh, And i definatly havent put on muscle.

Its just so weird XD

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Another whoosh is around the corner! Yay!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    And you're sure you measured in exactly the same places as last time?
  • JaydedMiss
    And you're sure you measured in exactly the same places as last time?

100% iv been doing it the exact same way for 100 pounds now lol. Its so weird
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Really weird, but I'm confident you're on the right track based on what I've read of you on the threads. Deep breath and push through.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Could it be that you skin is a little, I'm trying for the right word here, looser than before (empty balloon) and this is affecting your measurements.

I have had this same flow of ups/downs in tape when losing. It is frustrating and bit worrying (for me anyway) but it all tightened up and the numbers went down again.

Hope my anecdote is helpful.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Has your aunt been sneaking salt into your coffee?
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Could it be that you skin is a little, I'm trying for the right word here, looser than before (empty balloon) and this is affecting your measurements.

I actually asked someone this question the other day. I have quite a bit of loose skin on the inside of my upper thigh and measuring the top of my thigh is affected by how much I overlap the tape measure and let it "push" into the loose skin. I asked if anyone knew if we should "squish" the loose skin or just keep the tape measure lightly over it and no one knew. But this does confirm my suspicion that the loose skin makes a difference.

@JaydedMiss when you measure over loose skin do you "squish" it with the tape measure? I'm trying to figure out how to measure my thighs for the most accurate measurement. It makes a good 1 1/2 - 2" difference for me.

• HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member

I actually asked someone this question the other day. I have quite a bit of loose skin on the inside of my upper thigh and measuring the top of my thigh is affected by how much I overlap the tape measure and let it "push" into the loose skin. I asked if anyone knew if we should "squish" the loose skin or just keep the tape measure lightly over it and no one knew. But this does confirm my suspicion that the loose skin makes a difference.

@JaydedMiss when you measure over loose skin do you "squish" it with the tape measure? I'm trying to figure out how to measure my thighs for the most accurate measurement. It makes a good 1 1/2 - 2" difference for me.

@ronjsteele1 Perhaps you could try the method that I have which is to measure with thighs apart, it doesn't have to be akimbo but enough that the skin isn't hanging or slack. I have always had to measure like this due to the large amount of weight lost 178 lbs and the ravages of gravity otherwise I would never be able to work out where my bum ended and my legs began.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    In general measuring terms for tailoring- the tape should be taught, can't put anything between tape and thigh, but not tight, no squish.
    I can have a 23 in waist if I squish. It is really 26, (a 23in waistband would be uncomfortable pretty quick).

I was about to post a similar reply to @HippySkoppy, things may be just realigning.
    So glad she did post, I couldn't think of a polite way to put it.

Cheers, h.
  • JaydedMiss

i dont squish anything @ronjsteele1 that would add in to many varying factors like how tight i squeezed it. i measure firmly against skin but not indented
  • JaydedMiss
    Has your aunt been sneaking salt into your coffee?

LOL probably
  • JaydedMiss
    @HippySkoppy possible for the arms but my ribs are pretty much as small as i thought theyd get and they gained inches to with my loss. its just so damn annoying to not know the answer to something so im choosing to believe this XD