Am I the only one who can't lose weight?!

Options

Replies

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    ^^^^THIS 100% this^^^
  • Peacefulkancer
    Peacefulkancer Posts: 16 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    These are my hard-and-fast rules:
    (1) Don't worry about the number on the scale. A weight loss journey is more about how you feel, not a number.
    (2) Regardless of diet the path to weight loss is based on calories in vs calories out.
    (3) Losing weight is a lifestyle change, not a change in diet.
    (4) You didn't obtain your current weight overnight or in 4 weeks... so don't expect to lose it overnight or in 4 weeks.
    (5) In terms of ratios I personally say that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. So don't stress that you need to join a gym.

With that said, these are my suggestions:
    (1) Start making changes in your life. You say you're generally sedentary... so change that. When you go somewhere don't park at the spot closest to the door - park at the back of the lot and walk in. Taking a phone call? Walk around while taking a call. Stairs or elevator? Pick the stairs. Eat dinner and can chose between laying on couch or taking a lap around the block - take a walk around the block (I actually wanted both so I found a way to watch my shows on my phone and take a walk. Walk with caution if so!)
    (2) Get a pedometer like a Fitbit. Join challenges and compete with friends, family, neighbors, co-workers.
    (3) Track your food as close as you can, even the things you don't think matter.
    (4) When eating don't eat until you're stuffed. Don't watch TV when eating as you ignore your level of hunger/fullness.
    And not least... and this is controversial on these forums... but...
    (5) Try a low-carb diet such as Keto. Cut out all breads, cereal, pasta, deep-fried foods, fast-food, alcohol, energy drinks, artificial sweeteners, and yes... tropical fruit and fruit juices. Learn to love cauliflower as it will be a staple (honestly, it is awesome and you can do so many things with it). Eggs can be eaten anytime in their various forms. Put butter on everything that needs flavor. If you do this... then stay strict on your diet (no cheat days or meals) for 3 solid weeks (shoot for 70g of carbs/day to start and reduce 10g each of the three weeks). After that your body will adapt to preferring to burn fat instead of carbs and the weight will start falling off. My macro is 15% carbs, 60% fat, and 25% protein. By eating this way your satiety index will be higher and you'll generally feel more full and thus eat less.

NOTE: I personally love my Withings Wi-Fi scale but I want to stress to not concentrate on the number. If you do the keto diet your body will be kinda funky at the beginning while it adapts. You will probably see no weight loss during the transition. But if you stick with it, Keto will reward you and a nice scale as such paired with logging your foods on MFP will help you see that when you cheat, your weight goes up. When you keep on schedule, your weight goes down.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the advice. And @bizgirl26 I've never done weight watchers. I've honestly just assumed that if you as healthy as possible that's the only way you can lose weight. So I figured fruits veggies, chicken, fish and eggs, with premade protein shakes(I use Atkins) thats how I could lose weight. But anything but that has happened. I'm not active very much at all. And yes 100+ pounds to lose is ALOT and a lot of stress. I'm just afraid if I eat anything besides what I already am, I'll gain. I've suffered from physiological binge eating disorder so I struggle with that while losing weight, not to mention, depression. (Which 100% more than likely is due to lack is self esteem issues for sure!) but that's besides the point. I guess I'm just trying to figure out something different. I'll give it more time and see. But I'll be happy to take advice for anyone who's reading this. I already order a good scale from amazon within the amount of time I've posted this. So thank you guys!

Have you plugged in all your numbers and established a realistic goal? Height, weight, goal weight? What is your TDEE? You are setting yourself up to fail assuming the shakes and cutting fruit is the way to do it. Get everything in order, start measuring, relax and it will happen.
  • Peacefulkancer
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Also to note about keto... you can kind of eat as much as you want. It doesn't feel restrictive as you can eat as much meat, nuts, eggs, and other things as you want. But because your body is in ketosis and you're eating high satiety foods, you feel like eating less. If you want... take 4 weeks of trying it... and start with 120g/day of carbs and then reduce by 10g each week until you get to 50g/day or so. Don't feel pressured to be perfect, I cheated a lot in my first month but I was honest about it in tracking my food in MFP.

If you want, send me a friend invite and you can look at my journal and see what I eat - have lots of recipes saved too.

EDIT: You cannot eat AS MUCH AS YOU WANT of anything if you want to lose weight. As I said in my original post, the key to ANY diet is to abide by the calories in, calories out. Keto just happens to help your with your calories because it helps with your glycemic index by ensuring that you're eating high satiety indexed foods, which make you feel more full, which in turns makes you want to eat less.
  • Peacefulkancer
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Also to note about keto... you can kind of eat as much as you want. It doesn't feel restrictive as you can eat as much meat, nuts, eggs, and other things as you want. But because your body is in ketosis and you're eating high satiety foods, you feel like eating less. If you want... take 4 weeks of trying it... and start with 120g/day of carbs and then reduce by 10g each week until you get to 50g/day or so. Don't feel pressured to be perfect, I cheated a lot in my first month but I was honest about it in tracking my food in MFP.

If you want, send me a friend invite and you can look at my journal and see what I eat - have lots of recipes saved too.

Keto is fine for some but to tell the op that she can eat all she wants on a keto diet is flat out wrong. It's about calories.

Did you read my whole original post? Doesn't seem like it. If you did you'd see that I directly said
    (2) Regardless of diet the path to weight loss is based on calories in vs calories out.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Keto is fine for some but to tell the op that she can eat all she wants on a keto diet is flat out wrong. It's about calories.

To add to this, satiety is individual. Telling the OP that she will definitely feel fuller eating keto and that she will be able to eat all she wants isn't necessarily true. Keto might also be overly restrictive for someone with BED.

OP, baby steps. For now, just start accurately tracking your intake by weighing your food and trying to stick to your calorie goal. I used to believe that all I needed to do was eat healthy foods in order to lose weight and I couldn't have been more wrong. Calories are what matter. It's great that you want to eat a nutritious diet, but for weight loss, how much of that nutritious food you eat matters most.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

Did you read my whole original post? Doesn't seem like it. If you did you'd see that I directly said

I did but you are wrong about the keto part being a diet in which you can't eat all you want. Sorry if I misunderstood you.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    bizgirl26 wrote: »
    I am assuming you may have done weight watchers in the past as they said you could eat all the fruits and veggies you wanted and have zero points. Well although I am sure most of us didn't get overweight on fruits and veggies to begin with they certainly count calorie wise and if you eat any food in excess of your calorie deficit you will gain. Fruits and veggies are very nutritious - you should be eating them. AS everyone has said ensure you weigh and count everything that goes in your mouth . If you are 100 pounds overweight I cant see why you would only eat 1200 calories a day

I did WW years ago, and that was not a rule when I did it. That was a different version. Just wanted to comment that WW has had many different plans over the years. :)

I only brought up WW as I did it years ago and that was a rule . Some people still believe it
  • Peacefulkancer
    Options

To add to this, satiety is individual. Telling the OP that she will definitely feel fuller eating keto and that she will be able to eat all she wants isn't necessarily true. Keto might also be overly restrictive for someone with BED.

OP, baby steps. For now, just start accurately tracking your intake by weighing your food and trying to stick to your calorie goal. I used to believe that all I needed to do was eat healthy foods in order to lose weight and I couldn't have been more wrong. Calories are what matter. It's great that you want to eat a nutritious diet, but for weight loss, how much of that nutritious food you eat matters most.
    Satiety is a model in chemistry and the human body and how it processes food. Point in case, 200 calories of a steak (all protein and fat) is going to make you feel more full and for a longer period of time than 200 calories of pancakes (all carbs). This is something we've all felt and that is because of the science of chemistry. So while satiety is going to vary slightly between people (I may not feel as full from 200g of steak than you), it isn't generally going to be opposite. Keto helps with your insulin and other body secretions and therefore largely helps with metabolism and hunger. Without controlling your hormones and internal triggers your weight loss journey is going to be rough. Keto helps with controlling these items.

As for BED and restrictive eating... that is why there are other items listed on my two original posts and that I even put a disclaimer on my keto suggestion. I am doing keto and it doesn't feel restrictive at all - I just can't binge on fast food or each a whole box of cereal anymore, which isn't something anyone should be doing unless they are highly active or looking to gain.

Does everyone just disregard all previous messages. BTW?
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Are you referring to previous posts in this thread?
  • Peacefulkancer
    Options

I did but you are wrong about the keto part being a diet in which you can't eat all you want. Sorry if I misunderstood you.
    Edited just for you...
  • Peacefulkancer
    Options

Are you referring to previous posts in this thread?
    I'm referring to people saying I'm wrong but seemingly not reading my previous posts which already previously clarified their opposition.
  • Peacefulkancer
    Options

People respond differently to different macros though. I have much better satiety levels with a higher carb woe. Fat does nothing for me and I could easily eat way over my maintenance calories eating a low carb woe. Nuts are really calorie dense for the amount you get-if I'm not measuring out portion sizes I can easily pack away 500 calories or more in cashews or walnuts at a time, without even realizing it. And lets not even talk about bacon :#
    Alright, let me clarify. Satiety will change based on the individual based on their current diet. Satiety is both a mental game and a biological game. I am talking about a biological game. If one is not on a LCHF diet then they will naturally feel more full on a carb diet than a LCHF diet. This makes sense because that is what your mind craves.

However, someone on a LCHF diet their bodies aren't tuned for carbs so they don't crave carbs.

Again, a LCHF diet controls your insulin and other things which helps you eat less and helps your metabolism. Here is one example of people eating more calories on a LCHF diet versus a HCHF diet. The people who ate carbs gained more than those who ate less carbs, while eating the same calorie intakes.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/what-happens-if-you-eat-5800-calories-daily-on-an-lchf-diet

Bottom line is that on a LCHF diet there is a chemical/biological change to the body unlike other diets. It fundamentally alters how your body processes food taken in and stored. If OP wants to investigate it then there it is...

BTW: Bacon is totally fine on a keto diet. :)