Calorie Counting Addict??

Options
Rajions
Rajions Posts: 128 Member
I've recently started my journey to lose 100 pounds. So far down 10 pounds Yay! Anyways, I've been reading about calorie deficits and whatnot and so everything I eat I log into my FitBit account. I've been trying to just focus on portion control, but I end up counting calories again. It's really annoying trying to keep up with calories I've eaten, but I'm trying to stay below my BMR which is 1800 calories a day. Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Ummm, I'm not sure of the question, since that's what this site is made to do?
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is usually what you do to lose weight, so I'd say everyone here "has that problem".
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Tracking my calorie intake and hitting my calorie targets is why I lost 50lbs. OP, I'm not sure what you're asking?
  • Rajions
    Options
    It sounded better in my head lol but I guess what I'm trying to ask is if anyone has benefitted from just relying on portion control to lose weight. It's annoying to keep up with calories. I understand that this is what this site is about but I came for others' input and inspiration.
  • Ravenwing101
    Ravenwing101 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As a relative newbie to calorie counting myself, I feel your pain, Rajions. It can be a pain in the butt. But after three weeks of doing this, I've noticed that simply logging in my foods has made me more aware of what I put in my mouth and why. (Again. LOL) It's also helping me to re-learn what a true portion size is. I move more, eat better, and I have so far lost 3.5 lbs.
    Another benefit, even if you don't do the calorie thing religiously, is that if you hit a slump, you can go back over your week and find out where you went wrong (hidden or empty calories, a less active day, etc.) and correct for balance or in order to get back on track.
    In previous years, portion control was enough for me, to be fair. But as I've hit my mid thirties, it's harder to lose the weight. Monitoring my calories now --- NOT obsessing, just keeping track and being aware --- helps me a ton, even if it's annoying.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Ahhh that makes more sense. Portion control isn't easy for me. I have to weigh and measure and track to be successful. Portion sizes at restaurants are way over what a normal portion would be. You could be eating way more calories than you think you are if you're not measuring/weighing and logging.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Portion control is a nice idea but unfortunately many people aren't very good at it - which is why they calorie count instead. If we were able to accurately portion control we probably wouldn't be here - there would be no need a site like MFP.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Rajions wrote: »
    It sounded better in my head lol but I guess what I'm trying to ask is if anyone has benefitted from just relying on portion control to lose weight. It's annoying to keep up with calories. I understand that this is what this site is about but I came for others' input and inspiration.

I stopped using the site for calorie counting, gained back 5-6 lbs in about 9 months. Then, boom, stress/life happened and I gained back 20 more lbs. I'm back to calorie counting. Go with what works for you. When I hit my goal again I am going to weigh myself at least 2X a week and calorie count any time I go up 5 lbs. Womp. Wish I restarted sooner.
  • Rajions
    Options
    How well did you do with portion control when you got to the point when you needed to lose 100 pounds?

It was really hard at first but I kind of gotten used to is because I've recently started intermittent fasting so that cut out my eat time drastically.
  • Ravenwing101
    Ravenwing101 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How well did you do with portion control when you got to the point when you needed to lose 100 pounds?

It was really hard at first but I kind of gotten used to is because I've recently started intermittent fasting so that cut out my eat time drastically.

Is this a liquid fast or total? I tried a liquid fast recently (the last Friday of Lent) and it went well. I wouldn't do it more than once a week personally else the cravings would be a nightmare.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to eat under your bmr?
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yep, guilty. I am sometimes OCD about certain things though and if i am OCD about the calorie counting i hope it's at least keeping me on track. I love to plan a week ahead, log everything and see what it comes out to. It helps me know even if i'm eating dinner leftovers from the night before for lunch that i can stay on track with calories. It also helps me see this IS what i am eating today. There is no straying or surprises. I am also looking to lose 95 and am 13 pounds in. Good luck!
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try logging using MFP instead of the Fitbit app.
    If you are frustrated with their app, suggest you pursue on their site rather than here.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I would love to go by portion size rather than calorie counting. It would be so much easier. My goal is to get there in time but meanwhile I'll continue as I am until I am confident enough that I would be accurate enough with portion size only. I expect I'll be in maintenance for a year to bet a real grasp of it before this could occur.
  • Rajions
    Options

Is this a liquid fast or total? I tried a liquid fast recently (the last Friday of Lent) and it went well. I wouldn't do it more than once a week personally else the cravings would be a nightmare.

Intermittent fasting is basically an eating schedule. Most people go with the 16-8 split. You fast for 16 hours and eat in the 8 hour time frame. My schedule is eat from 11am-7pm and fast from 7pm-11am. Depending on whether you go to bed, you will only be up for a couple hours of the fast, so that makes it easier.