I'm new, 29 and completely terrified.

Options
Growing up I was always bigger than most, but I never thought of myself as "that big" I used to compare myself to people that were a lot "bigger" than myself and say things like how can they let themselves get to that point I could never I will never be like that....fast forward to 361 pounds later and I am that person I thought I'd never be. I am looking for motivation, inspiration and experience! I let myself get this big because I was to busy looking at everyone else instead of looking in a damn mirror. And now I am looking to "those people" for help because I haven't been able to help myself. I thought I was so blind of how big I was but honestly I wasn't I was fully aware I was just to ashamed and embarrassed to admit it.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    There is nothing to be scared of! You have admitted it, and you sound like you want to do something about it - you're in a good place to start :)

Remember, your journey isn't a straight path though, but being consistent and persistent will get you where you want to go.
  • OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Welcome, @jambriz624. For many (me included), it's the "I am that person I thought I'd never be" moment that kicks butts into gear. So as @livingleanlivingclean stated, it sounds like you're off to a great start. Welcome to fold!
  • RightTrackBaby
    RightTrackBaby Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Don't be shy, feel free to reach out at any point. We're all here to help each other reach our goals!
  • KeshiaV
    KeshiaV Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling all too well. I needed my lightbulb moment too before I could start to make changes. A few pieces of (unsolicited) advice as you get started:
    1. Strive for progress over perfection. It's impossible to be perfect on the journey. You're going to have days where you eat more than you planned or days when you skip workouts in favor of ice cream on the couch. Try hard not to beat yourself up. Enjoy it, hop back on the wagon and treat the next day like a fresh start.
    2. Find a good buddy or two (online or in person) that you can openly and honestly share experiences with. My buddy knows farrrr too much about my bodily functions. But having her to text in the midst of a craving or at 5:30 am when I've pressed snooze twice and am considering sleeping through my workout is invaluable. Being honest with her has kept me honest with myself.
    3. Don't feel pressure to change everything all at once. You don't have to work out 6 times a week and eat only celery to see progress. Every week work toward changing a behavior (walking 1 extra flight of stairs, eating dessert 1 less day, using 1 less sugar packet/creamer in your coffee). You'll be surprised at how quickly those little things will feel like second nature :)

Wishing you so much luck! You'll be a MFP veteran in no time!
  • jambriz624
    jambriz624 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you the motivation here is real I didn't expect any type of response especially so quickly I am excited and very thankful.
  • CatMama526
    CatMama526 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation. The first step is acknowledging what you're facing, and the next step is kicking butt! You can do this! :)
  • svtenderspirit
    svtenderspirit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Realizing that you need to change is a huge step. The next step is to not beat yourself up. Instead, look forward to each small accomplishment you make. Every small step will lead you towards your goals. Speaking of goals...make them small and obtainable, and every day is a chance to start fresh.
    Good luck because soon we will all be getting our inspiration from you. B)