Scared of the gym

Options
2»

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I like smaller local gyms. Many cater to specific clientele (young, older, men, women,...), which can be nice.

If you're new to weights, get instruction.

Have a great time!
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    As the others have said, you'll be fine. If you find the rare breed that does do something in an attempt to humiliate you, you can always just report them to the front desk. Most gyms are pretty strict about not making fun of anyone.
  • Naina149
    Naina149 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym yesterday for the first time in a long time at my heaviest with all sorts of horrible scenerios running through my mind I was a nervous wreck for the first five minutes until I realized no one is paying attention to me everyone is too busy absorbed in their own world which helped me relax and get a great workout in.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I was terrified too then I realized everyone is looking at themselves. Get out there, do it!
  • Intheseblueeyes
    Intheseblueeyes Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Nobody pays attention to me there.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    When you start at the gym ask the person who is signing you up to show you around, go over rules, etc. It will help you feel more at ease if you walk through with someone else and you'll see first hand that everyone is just minding their own business. Some gyms do a special discount on some personal training sessions for new members and if you can afford it that might help too--especially if they pair you up with someone of similar skill level as then you'll have a gym buddy. Just keep in mind, personal trainers often know ZERO about food and nutrition so don't pay too much attention to that, just let them show you how to use the equipment....If you can't afford that, it's fine too. Strangely enough a lot of times other women come up to me at the gym and ask "how do I use this?" or stuff like that and I don't mind--guess I look approachable or something.
  • Intheseblueeyes
    Intheseblueeyes Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Usually, no one else even pays attention to you. Most people are focused on their own workouts. Just get some wireless headphones, grab a good water bottle (personally, I prefer a sports bottle that i can just squeeze. Caps are a pain when you're working out) and go for it!

I recently joined the Planet Fitness that opened up in my city. I really enjoy it. I see people of all shapes and sizes there.

EDIT: And like others have said, just be sure to wipe the machines and re-rack your weights. Its simple, really.
  • MeginBliss
    MeginBliss Posts: 30 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Girl I been going to the gym for years and I have the same fear EVEERRRRYY single day, but when I get there and start moving it's easy and I don't care anymore. I'm so focused on my workout, and the burn, and performing at my best that I don't even notice or care if other people are watching me. It helps to go in with a plan. I'm going to do xxx amount of warm up, train this and this and this then do this cardio for this amount of time and finish with this cool down. Then you just go step by step. I have been told by so many people that once they are in the gym they don't notice anyone else and if they do it's out of admiration or motivation like "dang I wish my butt looked as good as hers!" Or "I can't wait until I can squat that much!" Or "Wow, I'm going to try to run that fast when I'm done lifting, that's impressive."

Push through that fear, because honestly it is more than worth it.
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I get anxious in social situations, and I am self conscious too. I worked out at home for years until I just no longer had the motivation to do so. I needed a change.

So I joined my YMCA and started doing group classes. I recommend starting with a Spin class. There's zero focus on you -- everybody is facing/watching the instructor. Also, the room is dark and the music is loud -- nobody can even really see you if they tried. Get there early to learn how to set up your bike -- if you get there late, people will watch you set it up. They're not judging, just curious if you need help -- it personally makes me nervous, even though intentions are good.

I also recommend doing a little home practicing if you want to do something like Zumba or Bodypump -- watch routines on YouTube and mentally prepare yourself for it. The fact that I'd been doing Zumba on the Wii for years made me a little more comfortable when I started going to classes. And if you think Oh my gosh I'll look so crazy doing that -- don't worry. I see so many rhythm-less people in Zumba, but they all have a smile on their face because it is so much fun.

If you want to do weights, I recommend having the gym people show you around and demonstrate how the equipment works. I feel more comfortable if I know what I'm doing. If you have the funds, I highly recommend hiring a trainer for at least two sessions. Tell them you want to learn a routine you can do when they aren't around. Again, knowledge is the key to confidence.
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    MeginBliss wrote: »
    Girl I been going to the gym for years and I have the same fear EVEERRRRYY single day, but when I get there and start moving it's easy and I don't care anymore.

Yes, the fear never really goes away. You just have to suck it up and do it. I believe in you.
    MeginBliss wrote: »
    Push through that fear, because honestly it is more than worth it.

BOOM. This is it.

• EdinBeau
    EdinBeau Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I HATE the gym. Absolutely HATE it. However, I try to go every day. The first few days were the hardest, but I did it. My husband paid for my membership to the new Planet Fitness gym that opened up near us. I'm not wasting his money. PLUS I have a goal. I want to lose weight. I want to feel better about myself. I want to like what I see in the mirror. That's my motivation to go. I go later at night because I don't like to workout when it's crazy busy. I use the free weights and racks and don't want to wait around. Like everyone else has said, no one is paying attention to you. They're focused on their own workout. You'll be just fine. Get it, girl.
  • Butts_Boys_and_Burgers_ohmy
    Options
    I know these feels so well. I have crippling social anxiety and I've been to several gyms over the years. Here is what I have found. If anything, I have actually made connections in the gym. I see the same people alot and they will notice if I don't come in. They have cheered me on when I struggle and cheered my accomplishments.

I am currently 150 pounds overweight, but I suit up, put my headphones in, turn up my music and do my thing.

You got this girl!! I believe in you!!