Do you record all your fruits and veggies??

Options

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Mustard, you don't have to weigh because any reasonable amount you'll use is still 0 calories.

True, but if you are watching micronutrients or trying to get into good habits, it may be worthwhile weighing. Some people extend the mustard rule to stuff like caesar dressing with poor results.
  • RedSquadronLeader
    RedSquadronLeader Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I really don't think the difference between anyone losing weight or not is coming down to a cucumber or a pile of spinach. Even if it's a big pile of spinach. I wouldn't log the green and leafy or very low-cal items, but I'm interested in tracking micronutrients lately so I do anyway. I'll weigh things like onions and sweet potatoes but I just eyeball the spring mix and such.

Also, if I were working on a 100 - 200 cal deficit or something like that, I'd definitely weigh and measure everything because that's easily my margin of error right now. But I tend to eat or a bit above at my maintenance set for "sedentary", and I walk around 7 miles every day, lift weights, and do martial arts. So if I'm 200 cals off I don't really care, it'll all average out.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I eat about 200 calories worth of veggies a day, if I didn't log it, I'd fill that 200 calories with something else, then I'd be 200 calories over for the day thinking I'm not
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    The only things I do NOT log are spices, medications, water, and anything with zero nutritional value. Everything else gets entered.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    melcling wrote: »
    I'm just getting started recording my food and was curious if you feel it's necessary to record all veggies? I can understand recording fruit due to the high amount of carbs/sugars, but I don't feel it's necessary to record low cal veggies cooked without oil like cucumber, zucchini, squash, lettuce, etc... Its basically just me not wanting to have to record all my veggies, but I don't want to skip it if it's going to hurt my chances of losing weight. Any thoughts/advice??

Depends on the amount. I skip lettuce sometimes. A full 4.5oz bag (bigger than youd think) is 25 calories and I find I dont eat more than 10 calories of lettuce at a time. I record tomatoes although I guess thats fruit lol. It depends on if youre eating half a carrot (25 calories) once or twice a day or 25 baby carrots (100 calories) - big calorie difference.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I used to not record veggies in previous weight loss attempts. I lost weight slowly.

This time, I'm weighing and logging everything, and I'm surprised how many calories of veggies I'm eating. 222 calories of veggies today. 136 calories of veggies yesterday. It does add up.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Absolutely every last gram. I eat a good amount, though, most days.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Food in = logging and it has been that way for 1200+ days now
    Everything counts When I vegetables it can add up to more than 200cal a day I eat a lot yes) Not recoding it would cause underlogging
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i don't weigh cucumber/lettuce for the amount i will put in a sandwich.If i'm going to make a salad with them, then yes, i'll weigh them.All other veggies and fruits i weigh and log.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Everything, to the best of my ability down to the "just a taste".
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.
  • HakimKassam
    HakimKassam Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    some of these veggies are low in calories so adding 40 calories might not make a huge difference. However some of these also have 1-2gr of fiber and if you are concern about "your flow" you might want to keep a eye on that. As a guy eating quite a bit of protein I know I have to keep on eye on that. ;-)
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I log everything. I raided my parents fridge yesterday and stopped and logged the deviled egg I popped in my mouth prior to eating it.
  • LizzyPops2
    LizzyPops2 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hey :) I don't log any fruit and veg and have managed to lose 12.5kg in 6 months. I eat 1,200 calories and then unlimited amounts of fruit and veg.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    My salad is 60 calories without dressing so I don't know about you but if that were 1/2 an English muffin would you log that? It's the same calories.
  • creyes4182
    creyes4182 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you generally eat the same veggies you could just make a meal on mfp for it. Then just re-use it. If your just going low calorie then it might not make a difference. If your going low carb I suggest tracking it because the do add up.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Veggies and fruits have calories so yes I log them. I would think that if I was lax about logging them it would spill over to other foods anyways. The only things I don't log are dried spices and vitamins. I know there are calories in vitamins but I am taking them no matter what and not worried about the small amount they put me over. They used to say that eating celery -as an example used up more calories than you actually consume. Although I doubt eating too much celery will make you gain a significant amount of weight- being over your calories will prevent you from losing weight . We need to accurately log everything or else we will be in the " Why am I not losing weight ?" place .
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I weight my veggies but not very accurately. If I am 10 grams over or under, that'll do BUT I know if I stop losing I need to tighten my logging. My logging is a little sloppy but at the moment it's not doing any damage but it might as I get closer to my goal and my deficit gets smaller. At that point "Oh that'll do, close enough" will not be acceptable anymore.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    When I'm logging I do. It adds up and I eat a lot of vegetables, so my calories would be way low and my day look weird without them.

Bigger issue, since I suppose I could set a low goal to make up for that, is that I don't understand not minding logging but not wanting to log vegetables. I like logging them, because I feel good about eating them. If I am having a hard week and look back to see what's up and see I've been lower than usual on vegetables, that's helpful and something I can fix, and I also sometimes (when logging) look back to see if I've been getting a good variety. For a while I logged on Chronometer (when I log again I probably will there), and since the point is to see how well you are doing on nutrients, it would be sad without vegetables. For me logging vegetables is related to seeing my goal as eating a healthful diet and getting in the nutrients I need (and protein and so on too, of course), and not merely trying to be low cal.

(I am willing to estimate vegetables more roughly, though, especially greens which I may log as 1 cup or 2 cups vs. weighing. I mostly weigh when chopping, though, so even though not necessary I think it's easier to weigh zucchini when logging than make myself estimate.)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I log my fruits and vegetables because sometimes I eat 300-400 calories of vegetables in a day and that is a significant chunk of my total calories. Also, it helps me understand where I'm coming in on macronutrients.