Carbs after training

Options
abs1970
abs1970 Posts: 235 Member
Did a pretty solid abs workout today. My training is usually heavy lifting, barbell squats, kettle bells etc. so I don't feel like I over trained! I had my protein shake straight after and then lunch about 30 mins later but minus carbs. Now I have a major slump and feel in need of an afternoon nap..... should I have had carbs with lunch?

Replies

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    There are countless variables to account for when trying to decide why you feel like you need a nap today, but I wouldn't overthink it unless it becomes a chronic issue.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling zonked after an ab focused weight session, I doubt it has anything to do with the postworkout food. How's your sleep in general?
  • NASAbound
    NASAbound Posts: 27 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Post workout is probably the most important time you can have carbs. This is when your insulin sensitivity and capacity for proper carbohydrate utilization and storage are at their peak. Which means your body maximizes the amount of carbohydrates stored in the muscles as glycogen, instead of fat. By partitioning the carbs directly to muscle glycogen your body is going to be able to recover from its workout much faster. Without some post-workout carbs your muscles are going to have a hard time repairing themselves and you're ore likely to feel achey and tired.

So yes! Have carbs post workout. If you follow a generally low-carb diet, this is probably the best time of day for a carb-rich meal.

However, if you regularly avoid carbs after a workout and this is the only time you've felt tired, then it's probably another issue (too little sleep, too much stress...)
  • abs1970
    Options
    @Gallowmere1984 My sleep is rubbish - get about 6 hours a night.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    abs1970 wrote: »
    @Gallowmere1984 My sleep is rubbish - get about 6 hours a night.

You're going to want to fix that before you start putting too much thought into periworkout nutrition. It's helpful, but it's not going to save you if your basics are off.

Now, don't get me wrong, some people do just fine on six hours of sleep, and I thought I was one of them for years. However, I've noticed that just going from my usual 5-6 to 7.5-8 has completely changed my game both in the gym, and out.
  • abs1970
    Options
    @NASAbound Thanks for the great advice re: carbs. I do generally have a low carb diet but actually just stuffed a hot cross bun down - needed a boost today! I think it's more to do with my awful night's sleep last night rather than just my exercise.
  • abs1970
    Options
    @Gallowmere1984 I fall asleep straight away, it's staying asleep that I have a problem with! Had a week off work and found myself having an afternoon nap every day to make up the hours lost at night. :#
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    is your diet low carb usually, or are you trying something new today?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I eat about 50% of my exercise cals as carbs after a workout. But then, my workouts are cardio-intensive (swim, ride, run).
  • abs1970
    Options
    I just find my body is leaner on low carbs

• abs1970
    Options
    I eat about 50% of my exercise cals as carbs after a workout. But then, my workouts are cardio-intensive (swim, ride, run).

My workouts are based on strength training with a little HIIT as a warm up, so never sure how many calories I actually burn
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I just find my body is leaner on low carbs

That is because you deplete glycogen/water storage. Some of which you probably store in your ab area.
  • haroldrios1692
    haroldrios1692 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    SLEEP...is when your body repairs and the growth and progress happens. Do your best to ensure you get quality time in bed. It's a very serious issue!!
  • abs1970
    Options
    SLEEP...is when your body repairs and the growth and progress happens. Do your best to ensure you get quality time in bed. It's a very serious issue!!

Thanks for this advice - lack of sleep is a big issue for me
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Did a pretty solid abs workout today. My training is usually heavy lifting, barbell squats, kettle bells etc. so I don't feel like I over trained! I had my protein shake straight after and then lunch about 30 mins later but minus carbs. Now I have a major slump and feel in need of an afternoon nap..... should I have had carbs with lunch?

Rest days, sleep and consuming enough calories are way more important than carb timing. And usually abs workouts are the "weakest" workout compared to let's say leg day. Leg days exhaust me.
  • abs1970
    Options

Rest days, sleep and consuming enough calories are way more important than carb timing. And usually abs workouts are the "weakest" workout compared to let's say leg day. Leg days exhaust me.

I'm on a rest day today, my sleep's not great, and 749 calorie deficit last night...... I'm screwed!! Last night was an exception (wasn't feeling great so no appetite).

I'm with you about abs though. I don't usually train them much at all - I figure they get enough of a workout when I'm lifting :)