natural antidepressants

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For mild depression type things, or warding it off, exercise helps me, eating well in general helps me, having orderly surroundings (dealing with the clutter I am prone to) helps me, meditation helps me, and, yes, Vitamin D seems to help me too (I think I probably have a deficiency in non summer months due to lack of sun here when I don't take it). I am sure that if you have a deficiency in something that can help.

I'd talk to your therapist about it, though. I do think at a certain point nothing else is really going to be adequate, but I don't know what your situation is (and I'm sorry you are going through it, sucks!).
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people have said that exercise has worked for them. I don't have a link to it now, but I've read a good study on treating depression with a.medication only, b. medication and routine exercise regimen and c. exercise only. Thinking that b. would be the most beneficial, it was actually found that over long term especially, the exercise-only method was most effective for treating depression. I've done all three myself and believe that exercise is the one route to which the depression (and anxiety) is managed (I'm off meds). In particular, having cancer, that is a unique stressor. Not knowing your current medical situation and physical/immune health issues, it doesn't have to be running or sitting in a sweaty gym; it can be walking, yoga, etc. so long as it is consistent.
  • hcdo
    hcdo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses. I do take a B complex vitamin; I'm wondering what the dosage needs to be to help alleviate depression symptoms? I just take the regular dose. I also take D and fish oil, do I need to take high doses of those, too? I will look into some of the plants mentioned, but I agree that I definitely have to check with dr first, as I've heard of some interactions with things that would seem to be harmless. I live in SoCal and get lots of sunshine, but maybe need to be out in it even more. I exercise almost every day, but it's at the gym, so no sun (plus it's at 5 am so it's dark anyway ;) . I'm in therapy, but have seemed to hit a wall, there, too. Maybe I just need to make some small adjustments with all of those and see what helps.
  • nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have depression that came with my Multiple Sclerosis. I also suffer from SAD or Seasonal Affect Disorder from Sept - January..

I have been on Pristiq for depression for 5 years (since MS dx) and was on Abilify with SAD, but went off in early Feb since that is seasonal.

I have gone down on Pristiq after getting my exercise up to 6 days a week competitive swimming. I also have cleaned up my diet (no refined sugar, no dairy, no gluten (occasional - like once a month maybe), no soy. I take Vitamin D and Vitamin B.

I also use a seasonal light I got off Amazon to help with the SAD.

I will continue to go down on my anti-depressants slowly. I feel great. Oh, and I sleep 9 hours a night. I suffer from really bad fatigue with my MS. I take Adderall for my fatigue.
  • hcdo
    Options
    I have gone down on Pristiq after getting my exercise up to 6 days a week competitive swimming. I also have cleaned up my diet (no refined sugar, no dairy, no gluten (occasional - like once a month maybe), no soy. I take Vitamin D and Vitamin B.

What dosage of D and B do you take?
  • MommyWifeTeacher
    MommyWifeTeacher Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try a magnesium supplement - google it! I take 400mg per day along with zoloft.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Big doses of B will just give you nice, bright yellow pee. It's water soluble. D is fat soluble, but that means you should be careful not to overdo something you're probably not deficient in in California.
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    What about NAC or SAM-e?
  • hcdo
    Options
    jlscherme wrote: »
    What about NAC or SAM-e?

I haven't tried either of those; I'll look into them. And the magnesium, too, @MommyWifeTeacher. Thanks for the ideas!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Turmeric is supposed to be good,I find it a little stimulating though,rhodiola,5htp,100%cocoa,all of what's already been mentioned, I have "bluesy" days that I hate! I dont consider myself to have real depression that requires medication, tried Zoloft and gained 50 lbs in 3 months back in '06 I'll do whatever it takes to avoid meds but if you really feel bad defo see your doctor
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Theanine is another one I just thought of,one at a time though and if anyone is already taking AD's dont mix
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Exercise works incredibly well for me. It melts my stress away and gives me a happy distraction too. Has to be outdoors, though.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have trouble sleeping from anxiety. Valerian Root works great. I take it when I have to do presentations to large groups too. I think it really works. Getting good sleep might help with your mood. I tried Siberian Ginseng too which is supposed to help with stress. I was in a pretty good mood. There is a magnesium product called calm which is really good for you too. YMMV and please learn about this stuff before using it. I hope you feel better.
  • Tum22
    Tum22 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think something called HTP can help.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    hcdo wrote: »
    HI All,

My therapist suggested that I should go back on my antidepressants, but my oncologist told me there are only two that don't interact negatively with tamoxifen (Effexor and Celexa). I've been on both before, with only minimal success. Does anyone have suggestions for natural antidepressants or foods that have a similar effect? Or has anyone else had the same problem and found a different medication that works? I'm still planning on going back to a psychiatrist to see if there are other options, but I thought I'd check here as well.

It sucks having limited options. It also sucks that, with mental health drugs, you can't really know how well they work until months have passed. I have tried most out there (do not take tamoxifen so that is not my issue) and it took over 10 years to get the one that works the best. I was on a cocktail of Zoloft and Wellbutrin for a while but the generic Wellbutrin did not work for me (a known complication, usually generics work exactly the same) and I could not afford the brand because I lost my insurance. My Dr. started me on Viibryd because she had samples and Forest Labs could supply me for free through their PAP. Turns out it was the most effective thing I ever took. I now have insurance which pays for it.

Good luck finding the right one.

As for natural antidepressants, the only things that work for me is cuddling my cats and taking long walks.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Chocolate (eating in general) and petting animals or touching very soft fabrics help me.