Feeling discouraged!!!!!!

Options
I have been working out for two weeks and eating right and I haven't lost any weight. Do you think it's harder to lose weight over the age 40?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you in a calorie deficit? That is going to be more crucial for weight loss than "eating right."
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    No. I haven't had any problem once I got the basics right. A food scale made all the difference. Weighing and logging my food, insuring that I was hitting my calorie goal was essential to my success.

@tacklewasher (I think I should add the chart... am I "addicted?")
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    By eating right, do you weigh your food? Have you logged it accurately and been under your goal every day for the past two weeks? Did you have a cheat day or a cheat meal? Have you considered menstrual cycle or sodium intake?
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    It's been two weeks! Patience.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It takes time and weight loss is not a perfectly linear experience. Sometimes your weight will go up one week and down the other.

The best thing you can do to ensure success is:

1. Invest in a digital kitchen scale and track your calorie intake as accurately as possible every single day. That means measuring and weighing everything that goes into your body! And trying to find the most accurate calorie counts on MFP.

2. Properly track your calories burnt through exercise and only eat a portion of them back. Gym machines can be notoriously bad for giving inaccurate calorie values. Always err on the side of less - if the machine tells you you burnt 600 calories, only eat 300 calories back (if you're hungry).

3. Make sure your deficit is the right amount for your weight, height and age. Use a good TDEE calculator to determine this.

Be patient and keep at it!
  • a_thickness
    a_thickness Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way but im stuck @ 8.4lbs. I want give up neither should you gweneasley. I still have 32lbs left to meet my goal weight.
  • gweneasley
    gweneasley Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Are you in a calorie deficit? That is going to be more crucial for weight loss than "eating right."

Wow, no I am not and you are absoutely right! Thank you
  • gweneasley
    Options
    No. I haven't had any problem once I got the basics right. A food scale made all the difference. Weighing and logging my food, insuring that I was hitting my calorie goal was essential to my success.

Thank you so much!!! I have a food scale but I don't use it... out of sight out of mind. Thank you for reminding me
  • gweneasley
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    By eating right, do you weigh your food? Have you logged it accurately and been under your goal every day for the past two weeks? Did you have a cheat day or a cheat meal? Have you considered menstrual cycle or sodium intake?

No, I do not weight my food and I just rejoined MFP today. I'm definitely pulling the food scale back out today. I didn't have a cheat day... I am very mindful what I put in my mouth. Also, I no longer have menstrual cycle but I am questioning my sodium intake. Thank you for the reminder of the food scale.
  • gweneasley
    Options

I will definitely pull back out my food scale. What's the chart? Thank you
  • gweneasley
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    It takes time and weight loss is not a perfectly linear experience. Sometimes your weight will go up one week and down the other.

The best thing you can do to ensure success is:

1. Invest in a digital kitchen scale and track your calorie intake as accurately as possible every single day. That means measuring and weighing everything that goes into your body! And trying to find the most accurate calorie counts on MFP.

2. Properly track your calories burnt through exercise and only eat a portion of them back. Gym machines can be notoriously bad for giving inaccurate calorie values. Always err on the side of less - if the machine tells you you burnt 600 calories, only eat 300 calories back (if you're hungry).

3. Make sure your deficit is the right amount for your weight, height and age. Use a good TDEE calculator to determine this.

Be patient and keep at it!

Thank you sooooooo much for this information!!!!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'm 39 turning 40 next month and I started last autumn, I took off 40lbs and have been maintaining for a month now. Once you get your balance right it's just science and math. If you're not losing weight, your numbers are off somewhere.
  • gweneasley
    Options
    It's been two weeks! Patience.

I will... thank you
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    gweneasley wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »

No, I do not weight my food and I just rejoined MFP today. I'm definitely pulling the food scale back out today. I didn't have a cheat day... I am very mindful what I put in my mouth. Also, I no longer have menstrual cycle but I am questioning my sodium intake. Thank you for the reminder of the food scale.

Good plan!

I'm in my fifties, don't exercise and very definitely don't eat "healthy" all the time, and I'm losing just fine as long as I count my calories and weigh/log my food accurately. Getting older might mean we have a few less calories to play with, but it shouldn't be a barrier to losing weight. :)

Your best friends in this game will be your food scale and lots of patience! :)
  • tinamarie6624
    tinamarie6624 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I was 49 when I started my endeavor. Jan 2, 2016 at 378 Lbs. I have so far lost 190 Lbs. It is possible, you just have to keep working. Try not to get discouraged and keep telling yourself every day that you are doing a great job!
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    We all get discouraged at one point or another. Find your goals, define them, write them down where you will see them, establish steps of how you will get there. Any never be afraid to tweak your routine. Change takes time, and we all fall down on occasion. If it were easy Fitness would not be a Hundred Billion dollar industry. But the fact is, most of us did not gain the weight over-night, and we certainly are not going to lose it overnight either. You can do it!!!
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    gweneasley wrote: »

I will definitely pull back out my food scale. What's the chart? Thank you

Since you asked... :D

ftyzo3dhg1xr.jpg
  • quiksylver296
    Options
  • gweneasley
    Options
    I'm 39 turning 40 next month and I started last autumn, I took off 40lbs and have been maintaining for a month now. Once you get your balance right it's just science and math. If you're not losing weight, your numbers are off somewhere.

Wow, welcome to the "40's" club!!! And you are right...