Fake sugar?

Options
Anyone cutting calories by replacing things with sugar free options (ie: coffee creamer) ? I have a calorie goal of 1200 as I'm mostly sedentary (desk job). I'm eating more fruits and veggies, but can't let go of my coffee. I've read terrible things about artificial sweeteners though. Any thoughts? Is one sweetener better than the other?

Replies

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I use Truvia in things like green tea and flavored seltzer water, but I cannot use an artificial sweetener in my coffee. Just tastes too weird to me. I use regular sugar and half n half and call it good. :)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    To me its either real food or a chemical. It doesn't matter if it is some confugulation of natural ingredients that are altered to make a "natural artificial sweetener". I eat sweets or don't have any sweeteners but never do the artificial route. My preference not required for all people.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Use whichever one tastes best to you, and don't sweat it. Unless your profile picture isn't you, and you're actually a rat... ;)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Most of the studies would suggest natural sweeteners are perfectly healthy and have not shown any effect in human models. At worse, some anecdotal evidence says it may cause hunger and/or headaches, but that might be more placebo than anything else and haven't seen any studies to support that. Personally, if they don't both you, like they don't for me, then I would use them as they are a great way to cut calories.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I use half and half! 40 calories in 2tbsps. Really doesn't impact my calories.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yep I started using artificial sweeteners when I started my weight loss phase and continue to use them now several years into maintenance :)
  • MessyApron
    MessyApron Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I found an English Toffee flavored liquid stevia on Amazon that's delightful in coffee, as long as you don't use too much. Of course, Stevia still has a distinctive aftertaste, but I find it acceptable unless I've waaay overloaded the beverage in question.
  • haloerich
    haloerich Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Lots of fearmongering out there. It's hard figuring out what's really true.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

I use Slpenda just because I like the taste. Truvia is good too, it's very sweet so you don't use as much.

Thank you, that's an interesting article
  • FitJulian
    FitJulian Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    just give up the sweetness in coffee - i did that about 10 years ago... True it took about 2 years before the coffee tasted ok :s .. but now i cannot tolerate any sugar in my coffee (or tea) - it just tastes awful...

Like losing weight - it is a lifestyle change that takes time ...
  • haloerich
    Options
    I unfortunately have a coffee dependence. The migraines are rough without it. And see no reason to torture myself with black coffee. I've been using regular creamer and cutting the calories elsewhere, but I figure if I can eat more of something else with better nutritional value and cut the calories back in my unhealthy addiction it will be better.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    haloerich wrote: »
    I unfortunately have a coffee dependence. The migraines are rough without it. And see no reason to torture myself with black coffee. I've been using regular creamer and cutting the calories elsewhere, but I figure if I can eat more of something else with better nutritional value and cut the calories back in my unhealthy addiction it will be better.

I'm with you. I did cut out my original flavored creamer as I was using FAR too much of it. Like a candy bar in a cup, basically. I switched to half n half (10 calories per tub) and 2 tsps of real sugar and I'm much happier. I also like Silk Almond Milk Caramel creamer (15 calories per tbsp) when I want more flavor :)
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    My understanding from various sources is that Stevia (which is what Truvia is) is the best of a bad bunch when it comes to artificial sweeeteners. It is the only one which was proven not to have an adverse effect on the gut and it doesn't have the bad rep for side effects that Aspartame and some of the others do. I can't remember the program I saw but there was one which definitely persuaded me that of them all, Stevia was the best to have.

They do say though that having artificially sweetened drinks can still lead to weight gain/struggles with weight management as there is a tendency to then want sweet foodstuffs either with or after the sweet tasting drink.

Just food for thought.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Don't know if you're interested in other options, but I use .25 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk and 1 tablespoon of regular hazelnut creamer in my 16 oz of coffee every morning. ~50 calories.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Try cold brew instead of hot coffee. I can't drink hot coffee black anymore because it's so so acidic and even gives me heartburn sometimes. Cold brew, on the other hand, is naturally much sweeter than hot drip coffee and much more concentrated, too. I can drink cold brew black and sometimes I even have to water it down because of the brew concentrate. I think you need to ask yourself if you have a coffee dependence or a sugar "ooo yummy!" dependence. If you're not willing to drink black coffee, it doesn't really seem like it's just the caffeine?

This is what I use to make mine.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Anyone cutting calories by replacing things with sugar free options (ie: coffee creamer) ? I have a calorie goal of 1200 as I'm mostly sedentary (desk job). I'm eating more fruits and veggies, but can't let go of my coffee. I've read terrible things about artificial sweeteners though. Any thoughts? Is one sweetener better than the other?

I drink 16oz. coffee with real sugar every morning. I hate the aftertaste of fake sweeteners.
  • mcginger1
    mcginger1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I use Natural Bliss coffee creamer. Yes, it's got real sugar in it, but it also only has 4 ingredients - cream, milk, sugar and vanilla flavor. One tablespoon is 30 calories, and it's enough for my morning cup of coffee. If your coffee is important to you, don't skimp or try to tolerate some crap replacement. Enjoy!
  • kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    My understanding from various sources is that Stevia (which is what Truvia is) is the best of a bad bunch when it comes to artificial sweeeteners. It is the only one which was proven not to have an adverse effect on the gut and it doesn't have the bad rep for side effects that Aspartame and some of the others do. I can't remember the program I saw but there was one which definitely persuaded me that of them all, Stevia was the best to have.

They do say though that having artificially sweetened drinks can still lead to weight gain/struggles with weight management as there is a tendency to then want sweet foodstuffs either with or after the sweet tasting drink.

Just food for thought.

Aspartame has actually been probably the most studied artificial sweetener and has been shown to be safe. There are many people (including on these forums) that have had zero side effects from all sweeteners including Aspartame. Also, I have seen on these same forums that people find sweeteners to satisfy their sweet tooth as opposed to create cravings. To the OP, if you want to cut calories by using sweeteners, just try different types and see what tastes the best. Some people are turned off by the tastes of different ones.
  • haloerich
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I think you need to ask yourself if you have a coffee dependence or a sugar "ooo yummy!" dependence. If you're not willing to drink black coffee, it doesn't really seem like it's just the caffeine?" ]

I thought about that. I'm good without coffee if I take caffeine pills though. They have way too much caffeine though, I wind up feeling jittery.

I've replaced my regular milk with almond milk for cereal and it's not bad. I will look for the almond milk creamer