Stuck on weight loss

Options
SInce starting my weight loss journey 4 weeks ago, I have been faithfully tracking every bit of food and drink I am consuming, staying at/below my goal of 1,600 calories per day with the balance of carbs/fat/protein pretty close to the recommended percentages on the app. I have also started walking 1 to 1 1/2 miles at least 4-5 times per week. I initially lost 6 pounds over the first two weeks...but over the past two weeks NOTHING...not a single pound of weight loss. I am 54 y/o and post menopausal, if that makes a difference.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    It is still early in the process. Be sure to drink enough water and give it time. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already own one to help increase calorie accuracy. Overall, 6lbs in 4 weeks is in a healthy weight loss range rate (1.5 lbs a week) so really don't feel discouraged- you are doing quite well :smile:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Even post menopausal women can experience weight swings similar to when they had their periods. You lost a lot of weight the first two weeks, so I wouldn't be worried yet about not losing for a few weeks. As long as you are weighing your food you are doing fine.

As for the suggested macros (fat, protein, and carbs) on the app, I found that my protein was really low. If you find that the current macro settings leave you feeling a bit hungry or unsatisfied it's okay to change them or experiment with different percentages.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You've successfully lost 1.5 pounds per week, congratulations! Weight loss isn't linear. Water retention from sodium, muscle repair, or TOM if applicable (maybe not in your case) can mask losses. As can food volume in the digestive system (poo, basically). My advice is to take a good hard look at your logging and measuring and if you're happy with it (comfortable that your 1600 calories really is 1600 calories) just keep doing what you're doing.
  • redd_dayspring12
    redd_dayspring12 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would anymore calories. I was 264 lasagne I first started eating 2000 calories and walking 30 mins I was losing 2lbs a week. I am now 178lbs.
  • embryg
    embryg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement and tips. I measure most of my meals at home, but definitely could do better. Unfortunately I have to eat 3-5 times a week with clients, either lunch or dinner. I use the restaurant nutrition guides...but maybe they aren't accurate enough or the portion sizes are different. My biggest challenge seems to be keeping the sodium intact below target. I'm definitely eating alot less than I used to though...and less fat/carbs...so I'll keep counting, walking and start measuring more. Thanks again.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    embryg wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement and tips. I measure most of my meals at home, but definitely could do better. Unfortunately I have to eat 3-5 times a week with clients, either lunch or dinner. I use the restaurant nutrition guides...but maybe they aren't accurate enough or the portion sizes are different. My biggest challenge seems to be keeping the sodium intact below target. I'm definitely eating alot less than I used to though...and less fat/carbs...so I'll keep counting, walking and start measuring more. Thanks again.

I'm always over in sodium. Always. You can only bloat from sodium so much - I figure I've found some kind of sodium-fueled equilibrium :laugh: If you're worried about the calories on your meals out being incorrect, just start leaving a little on your plate (easier said than done, I know!)