Missing Nutrients (Potassium) USDA RDI Solution

Options
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/index.html

I have recently been throwing myself into a mild panic... MFP is saying that I am not getting the potassium that I need.

Then I started doing a self audit of my food log and came to the conclusion that there are many inacurate entries in the MPF database (And some that are close enought to work)

You can go to this site and verify the information... not saying it is easy or necessarily true, but I have found an extra 1000 units of potassium just by selecting the right item

Example
Tangerines....
Some have no potassium in the database
Some entries are right on the money...

Jif - Creamy Peanut Butter
0 in Database...
USDA says 238 mg

Replies

• utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Database may say 0 for some things because it's not on the label that people are entering the information from.
  • PhiloVance
    PhiloVance Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I find that many of the database entries that are entered by MFP users are missing data. I think some folks are interested only in calories, so that's all they enter. Others are tracking calories, fats and maybe carbs, so that's all they enter, and so on. Very few are watching potassium, so that one is frequently omitted. Vitamins and minerals frequently get left out too.

But for any given food, you can generally find several database entries and, generally, at least one will be complete and accurate.