Eating very low fat

Options
pennygm72
pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
Hi all, I have gallstones and am awaiting surgery, however this could be over 6 months away (I'm in the UK and this the local wait time in the NHS) I have been eating very low fat since I was diagnosed in January 17. By very low fat I'm averaging 11g fat a day on 1200-1300 calories. If I go over around 15g fat I experience acute pain for at least 8 hours requiring paramedic assistance. I was wondering if anyone had any idea how long I can eat this small amount of fat before I start to affect my health. I have discussed it with my Dr who has agreed to escalate my case to the surgeon, however he didn't give me any clue how long I can eat like this for and remain healthy. Thanks for your help

Replies

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Get your doctor to do a full
    Blood work up done, this will tell
    You exactly how it's affecting you
  • pennygm72
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Get your doctor to do a full
    Blood work up done, this will tell
    You exactly how it's affecting you

Thank you, I will try, unfortunately getting an appointment can take as long as the surgical waiting list!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Can you call the doctor's office and speak to a nurse or physicians assistant? Or maybe contact your local hospital? No personal experience with this myself, so hopefully someone else more knowledgeable will chime in. Healthy fats are necessary for a healthy body so I'd be a bit concerned about going that low fat for too long.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Wow 6 months I had to wait two months and it was terrible every break at work I would be lying down with the pain. After work at home I in a fetal position on the couch. Will your doctor give you any pain killer?
    I ate mostly soup my boyfriend made for me. I am sorry I don't have an answer to your question does all fat activate the pain, or can you eat things cooked with butter or olive oil? Are you able to eat other foods?
  • pennygm72
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »
    Wow 6 months I had to wait two months and it was terrible every break at work I would be lying down with the pain. After work at home I in a fetal position on the couch. Will your doctor give you any pain killer?
    I ate mostly soup my boyfriend made for me. I am sorry I don't have an answer to your question does all fat activate the pain, or can you eat things cooked with butter or olive oil? Are you able to eat other foods?

Thanks for the empathy
  • pennygm72
    Options
    pennygm72 wrote: »
    Treece68 wrote: »

Thanks for the empathy

Sorry, wrote a full reply but didn't post! I have a whole range of pain meds but they don't control it unfortunately. And it seems to be all fats, thank you again and sorry you've experienced the same!
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    You don't need a doctors appointment.
    Ring up, ask for full blood work up and
    Go at any walk in health centre, I get
    Mine done every 3 months
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    That's awful the wait times are so long in your healthcare system. :( I'm sorry; that sounds miserable. I'm not sure how long you can eat that low level. Are you noticing any side effects/symptoms now of eating such a very low fat diet?
  • pennygm72
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    That's awful the wait times are so long in your healthcare system. :( I'm sorry; that sounds miserable. I'm not sure how long you can eat that low level. Are you noticing any side effects/symptoms now of eating such a very low fat diet?
    Thank you, the NHS is an amazing institution and until the last few years the wait wouldn't have been anywhere near as long, our current government doesn't like the NHS however and so it is being starved of the funds it needs to run efficiently and safely. In terms of side effects my skin is very dry and lips are cracked, I haven't noticed any hair loss or huge hormonal issues though. I think the only way to tell is to get my bloods checked out as recommended.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    That's around 10% of your diet. I don't see what the problem is. Especially if it's from healthy sources and supplying omega 3s.

Plus there are studies that show you don't need gobs and gobs of fat to absorb fat soluble vitamins. Usually the problem is that people who are deficient are simply not eating enough vitamin rich foods.

I've been doing around 10-15% fat for 2 years and my comprehensive lab tests are perfect. In fact, my best cholesterol tests are when I'm closer to 10%.

And if you've developed gallstones requiring surgery it means your diet has been too high in fat. Gallstones are made of cholesterol which comes from usually high saturated fat diets. If you're getting the gallbladder removed, you most likely won't be able to handle fat any better so you might want to get used to it.

Good thing is low fat isn't harmful to your health and actually has benefits like lower cholesterol and reduced risk of heart disease.
  • pennygm72
    Options
    That's around 10% of your diet. I don't see what the problem is. Especially if it's from healthy sources and supplying omega 3s.

Plus there are studies that show you don't need gobs and gobs of fat to absorb fat soluble vitamins. Usually the problem is that people who are deficient are simply not eating enough vitamin rich foods.

I've been doing around 10-15% fat for 2 years and my comprehensive lab tests are perfect. In fact, my best cholesterol tests are when I'm closer to 10%.

And if you've developed gallstones requiring surgery it means your diet has been too high in fat. Gallstones are made of cholesterol which comes from usually high saturated fat diets. If you're getting the gallbladder removed, you most likely won't be able to handle fat any better so you might want to get used to it.

Good thing is low fat isn't harmful to your health and actually has benefits like lower cholesterol and reduced risk of heart disease.

Thats very helpful, thank you, most of my fat intake us from fish, so certainly a healthy source
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    My daughter was in college so waited about 6 months also. There are fats that don't require bile for digestion. I used coconut oil when sauteing and she was fine with that.
  • pennygm72
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    My daughter was in college so waited about 6 months also. There are fats that don't require bile for digestion. I used coconut oil when sauteing and she was fine with that.

I didn't know that, great tip, I will have to investigate further, thank you!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

11g of total fats would make it extremely difficult to meet essential fatty acid requirements; IIRC, women need 11-16g, and that is assuming they are coming from sources rich in Linoleic acid and Alpha-Linoleic Acids (PUFAs).

Here is one source

Additionally, gallstones have a variety of causes... low calorie diets are one of them.
  • pennygm72
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

11g of total fats would make it extremely difficult to meet essential fatty acid requirements; IIRC, women need 11-16g, and that is assuming they are coming from sources rich in Linoleic acid and Alpha-Linoleic Acids (PUFAs).

Here is one source

Additionally, gallstones have a variety of causes... low calorie diets are one of them.

I am pretty sure mine didn't come from a low calorie diet, however erratic eating patterns as a result of chaotic home and work life last year most certainly had a role to play! Regardless I now have gallstones which play up regardless of fat intake and fat intake above 15g is definitely a trigger for a very painful 8-10 hours. I consume fish, haddock, basa and tuna at least three times a week, eat chicken once/ twice a week and have whole milk on cereal every day. I am concerned about the impact of long term low fat diet and have communicated this to my doctor, it is also very restrictive and severely limits my opportunities to eat out as a social exercise and eating at friends/ family. The prospect of doing this for another 6-9 months is disheartening, holidays (camping) become much more difficult to plan and spontaneity is out the window. On the plus side the gallstone issue gave me the kick up the backside I needed a long time ago to address my weight, I have dropped from a bmi in the obese range (33) to overweight and edging closer to a healthy bmi every week. In addition I have reignited a passion, long dormant, for exercise and am beginning to enjoy and appreciate my health and fitness again. Just need to get to surgery without losing my hair and cognitive function and I'll be a new woman...off to order some coconut oil
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Here is one source

I am pretty sure mine didn't come from a low calorie diet, however erratic eating patterns as a result of chaotic home and work life last year most certainly had a role to play! Regardless I now have gallstones which play up regardless of fat intake and fat intake above 15g is definitely a trigger for a very painful 8-10 hours. I consume fish, haddock, basa and tuna at least three times a week, eat chicken once/ twice a week and have whole milk on cereal every day. I am concerned about the impact of long term low fat diet and have communicated this to my doctor, it is also very restrictive and severely limits my opportunities to eat out as a social exercise and eating at friends/ family. The prospect of doing this for another 6-9 months is disheartening, holidays (camping) become much more difficult to plan and spontaneity is out the window. On the plus side the gallstone issue gave me the kick up the backside I needed a long time ago to address my weight, I have dropped from a bmi in the obese range (33) to overweight and edging closer to a healthy bmi every week. In addition I have reignited a passion, long dormant, for exercise and am beginning to enjoy and appreciate my health and fitness again. Just need to get to surgery without losing my hair and cognitive function and I'll be a new woman...off to order some coconut oil

Are we talking 15g in ome sitting or total throughout the day? Are we talking all types of fats or more fried/sfa?

For my wife is was when she ate more processed types foods but didnt have the same impact when it was oily fish, avocado or oils.
  • fitzmonkey13
    fitzmonkey13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I was on a practically 0 fat diet for about 4 months while going through the diagnostic and wait time for my gallbladder operation. It was awful.

Unfortunately, I lived on one particular brand of vegetarian hot dog for protein and white french bread and sugary cereals. I ate some vegetables but some of them caused attacks too at that point. My diet got worse the closer my surgery got. And because I was in pain and tired and feeling sorry for myself, I ate myself into a sugar coma regularly and gained a lot of weight leading up to the surgery. I didn't experience any symptoms due to the low fat part, just the really high sugar part.

About a week after the surgery I was up and moving around and able to eat pretty much anything I wanted. And once I started eating normally, I shed some of the weight I'd gained. That was a long time ago though.

I haven't eaten a veggie dog since though. (And I may or may not flip off the case where they are sold when I'm grocery shopping to this day.)

I hope your doctor can bump you up on the list and get the operation sooner rather than later. And I'm glad you've been able to address some of your other health issues. I wish I had talked to my doctor about the struggles I was having waiting for the surgery because I bet she could have recommended a dietitian or some painkillers that would have made the process bearable. Be strong. Once this is over you'll feel like a new person!
  • pennygm72
    Options
    Its throughout the day, I wouldn't risk 15g in one sitting! And to be honest I'm wary of using trial and error to determine what I can and can't eat, I'm a single mother with two children under 10, no family in this country, the gallstones tend to play up at night and prescribed meds including opiates and codeine have no effect, often the paramedics want to take me to ED for further pain relief however I can't go as I have no one to care for my children. It also means I'm not able to work for a few days following and can't drive (med related) I've had attacks eating whole meal tortilla wraps with grilled chicken breast and red pepper, a banana and a pitta bread with salad and tuna, however it was a KFC that got me the first time, hardly ever eat the stuff but work was busy, it was snowing and their drive through was closest...food of the devil! I haven't eaten anything fried since then. I think it's very individual, I have friends who found tomatoes were a trigger for them, whilst for another it was a cup of tea.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options

Here is one source

Whole milk!!! Yikes! That right there could be setting you off! Cut down to 1% or skim, and any other full-fat dairy, avoid cucumbers/radishes/coffee as they can aggravate and inflame the gallbladder. You could probably increase your fat a bit more via other sources without much difficulty to your system. I sympathize...had mine out in 2007 after 2 years of awful discomfort.
  • pennygm72
    Options

Here is one source

Whole milk!!! Yikes! That right there could be setting you off! Cut down to 1% or skim, and any other full-fat dairy, avoid cucumbers/radishes/coffee as they can aggravate and inflame the gallbladder. You could probably increase your fat a bit more via other sources without much difficulty to your system. I sympathize...had mine out in 2007 after 2 years of awful discomfort.
    I know other people have had issues with whole milk but I don't seem to, probably as its a very small amount on my cereal in the morning, from then on, at work its skimmed in my one/two cups of coffee, again the coffee doesn't seem to have any effect but it's instant and a small amount. I don't have any other full fat dairy and haven't eaten a radish since last year ( and probably won't this year based on your advice!)Sorry to hear you experienced the same, strange to be looking forward to surgery!