Highest weight or Lowest weight

Options
I always take my highest weight for the day instead of my lowest weight for the day as my overall weight when I am telling people my weight, entering in information etc. I do this basically because I can gain anywhere from 3-6 lbs depending on what I eat/drink or what time of the month it is.

I read people should take their weight the same time every day for accurate readings and that is fine and makes total sense.. I am just curious for your own personal reasons whatever that may be, do you say your weight is your highest or lowest weight?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I just say "about 12 stone" which is my mid-range.
    (168lbs)

For fitness apps I update when there's a change in my overall trend weight.

The only time I weigh more than once a day is before/after a long cycle ride in hot weather when I want to estimate how much I need to rehydrate.

Do people really want, let alone need, to know your exact weight on any one day?
    "About" or a range is more realistic.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Do people really want, let alone need, to know your exact weight on any one day?
    "About" or a range is more realistic.

This. We don't have one *true* weight anyway- it's constantly in flux.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I go by my one and only weigh in, which is always in the morning. If I forget a first-thing weigh in, I just don't weigh that day. I don't go around telling people what I weigh. If someone who needs to know asks, I give an rough average.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I take it in the morning because that's when I believe I'll have the most consistent conditions on a day to day basis as opposed to post eating/hydrating/sweating from exercise, which could vary more day to day.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Yep, I also weigh in first thing in the morning, naked, after I pee and before eating or drinking anything. Otherwise it's thrown off by all kinds of meaningless variables like how much I drank that day. (And I drink a TON of water!)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I see little point in weighing myself multiple times daily and weighing food and liquids and the ensuing waste...

Also, you don't really have a specific weight...body weight isn't static...maintenance is a range where you basically look at the average trend.
  • robinsvitakjones
    robinsvitakjones Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a day, in the evening after work. That is the weight I go by.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week, in the morning post run.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    The only person in my life whom I would think needs to know my weight is my doctor.

I choose to share with my husband.

Everyone else can *aardvark* off! ;)

I've never had anyone ask how much I weigh, only how much I've lost. If they did ask, I'd probably just say something like, "A little more than I'd like to!" and leave it at that.

I weigh ONCE every day, first thing in the morning. I don't understand why anyone would want to weigh multiple times in the same day - it fluctuates enough as it is, why complicate things even further?!
  • kclewis416
    kclewis416 Posts: 79 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Just to confirm since there seems to be some assumption that people weigh more than once a day....

I weigh myself once every 2 weeks at the end of the day, I do notice when I have weighed in the morning that I weigh 5lbs less give or take.. I do hold on to water weight easy.

The point of my question was just to see when other people weigh themselves and if they do weigh at night (when they would be heavier) if this is the weight they use when working towards a goal weight range, since this is what I do.

Overall it seems most weigh in the morning, which makes sense since you are lighter.

Thanks for your replies.

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    kclewis416 wrote: »
    Just to confirm since there seems to be some assumption that people weigh more than once a day....

I think we all assumed *you* were doing that because you said you "take your highest weight of the day". It's not unusual for new ones to jump on the scale several times a day, so people like to point out there is no useful info to be gleaned from doing that.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Fair enough, OP... it did sound like you were weighing more than once per day (which some people do)!

I would choose to weigh at the same time of day under the same conditions (naked, just used the bathroom, etc.) regardless of whether it was daily, weekly or monthly, so that I was comparing like to like. If I weigh on a Saturday morning, and then weigh the following Saturday night after a pizza supper, and then Sunday afternoon a week later after a high-sodium breakfast, I'm not going to have a good idea of which direction my weight is really heading in because there are too many variables. :)

Edit: If you're happy with weighing yourself at the end of the day then that's fine, but you might want to stick with that time so that you have overall consistency. That's all I'm getting at. :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week, just to make sure I'm still in the ballpark and I round to the nearest five when I tell people what I weigh or if I enter it into an app. Last week the scale read 202.6, so that is 205. Trust me, the exact weight just isn't that important.
  • adipace815
    adipace815 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning at the same time, before my shower, in my birthday suit. It takes as much of the variances out as possible. I use a Bluetooth Scale, and Apple Health takes care of the rest. It shares my weight with MFP, Happy Scale, and some of the other health apps that I use. Sometimes I don't even bother to look at the results until later when I can look at moving averages, etc.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself multiple times a day, so I take the only weight. Which is first thing in the morning, naked, after I pee.

This. Not only do I only weigh once and day, I also prefer to not discuss my weight with others.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I don't weigh myself multiple times a day, so I take the only weight. Which is first thing in the morning, naked, after I pee.

This. Not only do I only weigh once and day, I also prefer to not discuss my weight with others.

I've had one person ask me directly about my weight in the last year. He was asking because he wanted to know how the weight his doctor recommended compared to mine. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. They can look at me and know how much fat I'm carrying around.