Beginner strength training question!

I feel quite silly asking this, but I just ventured into the free weight section today for the first time. I found a great set of about 8 exercises that work various muscle areas, and I can do about 9 to 12 reps for each exercise. My question is, do I cycle through each exercise once and then start over (cycling through maybe two or three times)? Or do I do multiple sets consecutively for each exercise? I am not sure what is most efficient or effective -- sorry for such a newbie question!

Replies

• HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    I do multiple sets consecutively, not positive what everyone else does.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    depends on your goals and what you enjoy. You can do the same lifts together, or do them in a circuit, whatever you like.
  • lbaxandall
    lbaxandall Posts: 62 Member
    Whatever you like! Circuits are fun to do, just make sure you're not hogging a bunch of weights to do a circuit if it's busy!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Either one, but do abs at the end of the workout, and compound exercises before isolation exercises. Google those terms if they're new to you.
    Which program are you following?
  • deeowens867
    deeowens867 Posts: 9 Member
    Just lift and make sure to make the last 1-2 hard to complete. I normally alternate between 2 body parts...like biceps and triceps. OR a push vs pull movement.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Since you are free-weight neophyte, any new stimulus will have a positive effect. Insofar as sets vs. circuits, the only recommendation I'd make is that you progressively load your lifts.
  • hannahrose894
    hannahrose894 Posts: 19 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Either one, but do abs at the end of the workout, and compound exercises before isolation exercises. Google those terms if they're new to you.

These are the exercises that I tried today: https://www.spotebi.com/workout-routines/upper-body-dumbbell-exercises-biceps-triceps-shoulders-workout/
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    If you're in a busy gym - do a set consecutively. That way you don't have to wait or mess up your circuit if someone jumped on a machine you were using. If your gym is quieter and it won't be bothersome to be hogging a row of machines for a circuit - do that if you prefer.

As others have said, it depends on your goal. I like supersetting with dumbells at times to make it more challenging.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »

These are the exercises that I tried today: https://www.spotebi.com/workout-routines/upper-body-dumbbell-exercises-biceps-triceps-shoulders-workout/
    The exercises are good but the premise for the workout is bogus: Get rid of arm fat
    You can't spot reduce so, if you lose weight, you will lose it wherever your body chooses it would like to come off first, regardless of what exercises you are doing. Beyond that caveat, have at it and good luck!
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    None of the above. It sounds like you put together your own weight workout, which is a bad thing for a newbie to do. Trust the workouts that already exist. A lot of people go with Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength or New Lifting Rules (For Women)
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    depends on your goals and what you enjoy. You can do the same lifts together, or do them in a circuit, whatever you like.

I mix it up.
  • hannahrose894
    hannahrose894 Posts: 19 Member
    None of the above. It sounds like you put together your own weight workout, which is a bad thing for a newbie to do. Trust the workouts that already exist. A lot of people go with Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength or New Lifting Rules (For Women)

Thanks for the suggestions!! Just trying to ease myself in, not looking for a very rigorous routine yet. Really just concerned with upper body. I'll definitely check those out!
  • hdrenollet
    hdrenollet Posts: 147 Member
    I highly recommend Stronglifts 5x5 for novice strength training. It's a great 12 week program and you'll see a huge difference in your abilities in that short period of time. There are plenty of others out there as well, but I know this one has been around for a long time and has been proven to be highly effective over the years.