Wrist Pain (during workouts)

Options
storytelinor
storytelinor Posts: 245 Member
Hello! I've just gotten myself back into a regular workout schedule and have been adding in new (to me) exercises, including "dips" where you place your hands on the edge of a chair behind you and use your arms to dip you down and push you back up (sorry, awful way to describe it, but if you've done them I think you'll get it!).
Today I could not even do 5 in a row because of the pain it caused in my wrists! I tried a couple different ways of holding the chair, and nothing improved.

This is not the first time I've noticed this - when I do yoga I have trouble if I am not using blocks (due to wrist pain, not the balance or stretch aspect) and push-ups can be difficult for the same reason.

Anyone else encounter this? Is it something that will go away if I really stick with things this time? Any wrist strengthening exercises people can suggest?!

Replies

• jen_so
    jen_so Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It could be carpal tunnel syndrome. Most importantly listen to your body. If you experience pain after a certain exercise swap it out for something else. Try icing it and wrapping a stretch bandage around it for 4 hours p/day (tight eno go to support but not so tight it hinders circulation). You should notice an improvement after a few days of doing this, but either way I'd recommend talking to your GP or physio.
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. When I do balance core workouts or yoga I have this problem. I don't think it is carpal tunnel, to me, we aren't used this kind of work out and we need to work out strength. Gloves help or adding more cushion for you hands by using a foam mat.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    After having broken my wrist I no longer do any exercises that place my body weight on my wrists as it just hurts too much. The physical therapist suggested using small weights and concentrating on keeping my wrists straight to build up strength, but she said I might never be able to do push ups. Don't make an existing issue worse for sure, listen to the pain.
  • AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You can do wrist spacific workouts. As long as they dont cause pain of course.

Lay your fore arm down on a bench or flat surface palm up with a light weight. Then just move your hand up and down slowly.

Have a wooden dowel that has a hole through the middle. Put some rope through the hole and loop the rope around a weight. You then just roll the dowel in your hands until the rope is all wrapped around the dowel. Then rotate the dowel the other way to lower the weight back down.

Just a few ideas.
  • storytelinor
    storytelinor Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Super helpful! I agree, I don't think it is carpel tunnel, mostly because I was a secretary for a number of years and watched carefully for warning signs and it just doesn't feel the way I've seen it described. Thanks for the wrist exercise ideas! I have the perfect weights to use!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    You might consider seeing an orthopedist, just to make sure it's nothing serious...
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i have tendonitis, and i use ace deluxe wrist braces for upper body workouts except for my warmup sets. they're highly adjustable so i can have them tight around my wrist and firm but not tight around the other parts of my hand, and they have a removable split that i leave in when lifting. i also sleep in them when i'm having wrist problems.