Overcoming a plateau

Options
Ive hit a killer plateau, havent lost Any thing in the past year. My work outs and diet just seem to keep me from gaining. Any advice on how to bust it?
5 ft tall, 130 lbs, consume 1200-1500 cals a day, except my free day and workout 4-5 days a week doing a mix of cardio and yoga. Recently ive added in some weights as well

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you haven't lost anything in a year, then you've found the number of calories you need to maintain.

Are you logging your "free day"? Some people are easily able to wipe out the deficit they've created in a week with a single unlogged day. Most women should be able to lose on 1,200-1,500 calories a day (especially with exercise), so if you are confident that you are logging accurately the rest of the week, the free day may be the issue here.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're eating more than you think.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Momoyafah wrote: »
    Ive hit a killer plateau, havent lost Any thing in the past year. My work outs and diet just seem to keep me from gaining. Any advice on how to bust it?
    5 ft tall, 130 lbs, consume 1200-1500 cals a day, except my free day and workout 4-5 days a week doing a mix of cardio and yoga. Recently ive added in some weights as well

Improve the accuracy of your logging. How often do you use a food scale? How often do you estimate your portions?
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Momoyafah wrote: »

Stop eating back your exercise and log your 'free day' which isn't without consequences.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Free days aren't free, they have consequences.
  • daniel_parrett
    daniel_parrett Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    ditto to the free days. everything adds up. for me, if I break and overeat, I try to stay at least under my maintenance calories, but calories still count even if you don't log them.
  • BigBadVanna
    BigBadVanna Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I used to do "free" weekends. I kept my workweek calories very low, like 1300, and ate what I wanted Friday night through Sunday afternoon. I maintained. I got tired of maintaining and decided to stop having free-for-alls. Saw results almost instantly.
  • jplinis
    jplinis Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I used to do "free" weekends. I kept my workweek calories very low, like 1300, and ate what I wanted Friday night through Sunday afternoon. I maintained. I got tired of maintaining and decided to stop having free-for-alls. Saw results almost instantly.

This was me before as well. I don't do free days anymore but just a reasonable "free meal" once or twice a week.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    How many calories does your free day entail- 2-4-5,000 calories? Do you log these days, do you weigh all of your food on these days and the rest of the week? If not, start now! This will give you a clearer picture on what's holding you back.

But if you've been maintaining instead of losing, then the most obvious answer is that you are eating more than you think.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I used to take a "free day" too. Then someone suggested I log it, still enjoy it, but log to see how much I was actually eating. I was between 3-4000 calories on my free day and my deficit was shot.