"Why should I use a food scale?"

Options
12345679»

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    So, here's a question for you guys who are weighing your bacon:

If a piece of bacon that the package says should be about 15g weighs in at 18g, are those extra 3g grams of fat? (Meaning it is actually 107 calories instead of 80.) Protein? (Meaning it is actually 92 calories instead of 80.) Or water? (In which case the weight difference is meaningless.) Does it bother you that the calorie count indicated by the scale could be off as much as 1/3 of the calories in the bacon? If not, why not?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no because all food labels can be off by 20% per the law.

There is no way to be totally 100% accurate outside a lab setting but at least with a food scale you are getting closer than eyeballing or guessing or even with "cup" measurements and for some that is enough to make them feel more comfortable with reporting the calories...

and I think that is the point of the food scale weather you get it or not...

it's not for you to decide or understand just accept that some want to use a food scale and will recommend it...others like yourself don't care one way or the other and use different methods and recommend that...
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

There is no way to be totally 100% accurate outside a lab setting but at least with a food scale you are getting closer than eyeballing or guessing or even with "cup" measurements and for some that is enough to make them feel more comfortable with reporting the calories...

it's not for you to decide or understand just accept that some want to use a food scale and will recommend it...others like yourself don't care one way or the other and use different methods and recommend that...

This...
  • TimothyFish
    Options

If a piece of bacon that the package says should be about 15g weighs in at 18g, are those extra 3g grams of fat? (Meaning it is actually 107 calories instead of 80.) Protein? (Meaning it is actually 92 calories instead of 80.) Or water? (In which case the weight difference is meaningless.) Does it bother you that the calorie count indicated by the scale could be off as much as 1/3 of the calories in the bacon? If not, why not?

Why wouldn't one assume it had the same macro distribution as the 15 grams does? This won't be totally accurate (some strips have more fat than others), but I can't see this being a significant issue for most people. It's unlikely that the three extra grams would be all protein, all fat, or all water.

This has an air of ad absurdum.

One wouldn't assume that because you can't look at a piece of bacon and decide which part of it is the 15g and which part is the 3g. According to the package, once it is cooked, we can expect the bacon to weigh 15g. Of course it won't weigh exactly 15g, but why? Is it because we didn't cook it the right amount of time? Is it because it had more meat than typical? Is it because it had more fat than typical? Is it because they sliced it a different thickness? Is it because of the amount of water in it? Though we don't know the answer to that question, the answer could mean a significant difference in calories per gram.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    mazdauk wrote: »
    My mother-in-law can't understand why she is overweight when "I just have a little bowl of rice and some turkey" and "I only have a light breakfast, just a croissant heated up quickly in the microwave" (like the speed makes a difference!!) yet "I'd love a scrambled egg but its too fatty" (shall we compare the fat content of one egg and a croissant?? No, better not!.
    Rice in particular, even simply boiled, is much higher in calories than pasta or potatoes of the same weight.

ETA A scale is also essential in maintenance, or that 30g portion of cereal is 45g before you know it, 100g pasta is 130g and so on.....

4 year maintainer here and I still use my food scale every.single.day. I'll be bringing it with me to the old folks home someday :D

Sad!

How is this sad? Is it sad to balance a checkbook as well?

Yes, if the only way to keep from financial ruin is by obsessively checking my account every single time I buy a candy bar!

• TimothyFish
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

And yet, people start getting upset when someone points out that both scales and measuring cups are inaccurate methods.

Personally, I'm not recommending anything concerning how people figure out how many calories are in the food they eat. Weighing your food does get you near the correct number, but the simple fact is that so does using measuring cups. I find all this talk about how much more accurate weighing ones food is to be tedious, especially when the people who talk about never show how much more accurate it is. They both have enough inaccuracy for people to gain weight. At some point, people have to deal with that inaccuracy. And if your method for dealing with the inaccuracy is sound, then accuracy becomes much less important.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

Apparently, if you're American, you should assume it's fat because the *cooked weight* is off by 3 grams - meaning you didn't cook it long enough to cook out enough fat.

If you're Canadian and dealing with a raw weight, you'd assume same macro distribution as the rest of the bacon.
  • allinewfree
    allinewfree Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of food scaling. I had some serious problems with health before, so I need only the healthy food. I bought a slow cooker and 5 dozens of plastic food containers, it's cheap if you buy them in one deal: http://allinpackaging.co.uk/food-packaging/ Every day I prepare fresh food before I go to the work and take it in a food container with me. I cook rice, vegetable, fish, chicken. And no matter how busy is my day, I always have an hour or half to eat my lunch. Because I know that influence to my health, mood and productivity.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    mazdauk wrote: »
    My mother-in-law can't understand why she is overweight when "I just have a little bowl of rice and some turkey" and "I only have a light breakfast, just a croissant heated up quickly in the microwave" (like the speed makes a difference!!) yet "I'd love a scrambled egg but its too fatty" (shall we compare the fat content of one egg and a croissant?? No, better not!.
    Rice in particular, even simply boiled, is much higher in calories than pasta or potatoes of the same weight.

ETA A scale is also essential in maintenance, or that 30g portion of cereal is 45g before you know it, 100g pasta is 130g and so on.....

4 year maintainer here and I still use my food scale every.single.day. I'll be bringing it with me to the old folks home someday :D

Sad!

How is this sad? Is it sad to balance a checkbook as well?

Yes, if the only way to keep from financial ruin is by obsessively checking my account every single time I buy a candy bar!

Yeah... a candy bar compared to an average income is about as much as a diet soda, close to 0.