“eat you calories back” related question

Options
mrk34
mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
I have a question about “eat you calories back” theory/method/practice.

I don’t practice this method.

To help me understand your theory better, I need an answer to my question. The question is related to my morning routine.

Let me briefly explain what I do in the mornings.

First I jog three times around the block. When I come back home I exercise. I do push-ups, squats, and either bicycles or sit-ups.

Then I eat. For breakfast I have:

1 tomato,
blueberries, blackberries or apple,
1 slice of dry, 100% whole-grain toasted bread with 2 slices of 99% fat free turkey breast.

Should I eat anything else in addition to what I have for breakfast according to “eat your calories back” or my breakfast covers the requirement?

Replies

• babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    id say this breakfast isnt big enough.
    eat some or all of your exercise calories if you are genuinely hungry at the end of the day or your NET calories dont make it to 1000 BARE MINIMUM.
  • mrk34
    Options
    Do you recommend eating more if I don’t feel any hunger?
  • tramaine81
    tramaine81 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The whole point is...no, if you are not hungry, do not force yourself to overeat. Although this site is about counting calories, that is an intermediate step. The ultimate goal is to trust and listen to your body.

Eating your exercise calories isn't horrific; however, it is not necessary and if a person wants to learn how to manage what they eat, sometimes "exercising to eat" can become a crutch and a detour in thinking. I personally want to feel that even if I don't exercise, my body will not return to it's previous state. Also, I think it is important to disconnect exercise from my eating. If I haven't exercised one day, I don't want to have to lower my calories to compensate. In addition, if I overeat one day, I do not want to feel like I have to exercise extra to "solve" the problem.

I personally think that the "eating your calories back" method should be taken with a grain of salt...maybe half a grain. Let me explain further...
    If a person is setting their calorie count low (around 1200), then exercising (burning 400 calories), they will probably experience steady weight loss even if they eat their calories (total 1600 calories a day). However, if a person (i.e. a woman) already has a high calorie allowance (around 2000 calories) and then they are exercising (burning 400 calories), they may experience weight loss so slow it may seem nonexistent or not experience weight loss at all if they are consuming 2400 calories a day. That is because (in my experience), your body responds to what it thinks you want. If you are eating a lot and exercising, your body assumes you would like to be a body builder. The extra calories help maintain the mass. When I was doing this, I saw my body getting firmer, but I didn't see the scale going down, until I realized that "eating my calories" was eating my progress.

Although I think exercise is very important, I think it is important to look at exercise as a separate aspect of health and not just a part of "weight loss". Not all exercise produces weight loss, this is a fact. Also, some exercise can potentially increase hunger, by increasing the desire to consume more calories. Your body doesn't know you are trying to lose weight when you exercise. When it responds with weight loss to some exercises it is doing so to enable you to perform them better; however, with other exercises, your body may feel that you need to increase in bulk to perform the exercise better.

Side tips:
    1) forcing yourself to participate in exercises that you do not enjoy can cause stress, which for some, stress can increase a desire to eat.
    2) High exertion/Hunger creating exercises must be counteracted with hunger decreasing foods or you will not have "peaceful" success at weight loss.
    3) Hunger is usually caused by foods. Most people on a diet don't let themselves get truly hungry because they fear that feeling. What they are confusing with hunger is the desire to eat, which paradoxically is caused by something that have recently consumed.
  • britterbrittney
    britterbrittney Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I am going to reply based on my OWN personal experience (and it is going to disagree with the previous poster).

I eat my exercise calories. Sometimes I eat every single last one of them because I am starving and other times (like tonight) I will likely have between 50-100 leftover because I've eaten and I'm just not hungry anymore. I've made sure the food I consumed today is healthy and fills me up - my exercise calories are not used to consume junk food or crap. I use it eat decent food because I am truly hungry.

In the last 18 months, here is what I have learned about my body (and while it works very well for ME, it may NOT work for you!):

I must consume 2200-2500 NET calories a day. If I drop below this amount, I will see a slow weight gain. No, it does not happen overnight - it is gradual over the course of a week or two. So, it is NOT water retention. It is my body freaking out because it isn't getting enough calories.

My body LOVES when I consume 3000 net calories a day. I had my weight down to 140lbs by consuming 3000 calories a day. I quickly learned that this is far too many calories and I don't feel good when I eat this much. I tried. It worked. I lost weight. But, I felt sluggish because I was simply eating more than I wanted to eat. However, my body was in love with all the calories and was more than happy to lose weight.

Every single person is different. We have different activity levels and our metabolisms are different. I work on my feet 4-5 days a week for 5-9 hours a day. I am constantly moving - except for my break (15 mins) and lunch (if I work a longer shift). While I don't count work as my exercise, I truly believe I burn more calories while I'm there than I realize. I also go to the gym 2-3 days a week for 60 mins each time. I do cardio. I do strength training. I do squats. I do circuit training. I may not go everyday, but I do go I work my butt off while I'm there. I burn between 400-600 calories while I'm there.

There's NO way I could survive on 1200 calories a day and not eat back my exercise calories either. Heck, I can't survive on 1600 calories (been there, done that - body HATED it). I'm definitely NOT one of those people who needed LESS calories as they got thinner - I definitely need MORE calories.

Our bodies are different. We need to figure out what works for US. I know what works for me and will speak up when people generalize people who have a higher daily calorie intake and say they should NOT be eating their exercise calories back.
  • mrk34
    Options
    Thank you Tramainepaul and Chevy88grl for great posts.

I can’t understand why Chevy88grl would see a slow weight gain if she dropped below 2200-2500 NET calories a day level.

I thought that one could not gain weight by taking in fewer calories a day.
  • chevy88grl
    Options

I can’t understand why Chevy88grl would see a slow weight gain if she dropped below 2200-2500 NET calories a day level.

Don't know - but it happens. I can not explain it. My doctor said that it may be a bit of 'starvation mode' kicking in because my body truly NEEDS the amount of calories I am taking in each day. It is just the way my body works. I can NOT drop too low or it freaks out and starts to slowly gain weight.

Here's an example: Decided I was going to try eating MORE calories to see if my weight would drop or raise. Did it for 10 days and dropped from 145 down to 140-141. I felt overfull all the time and ick, but my body LOVED it. I decided it was just too many calories for me to consume and went back down to 2200-2500 and within 10 days to 2 weeks, I had gained back the 5lbs I had lost when I upped to 3000. I spent MONTHS at 150lbs (Sept 2010 to May 2011) eating 2000 calories a day. Upped to 2200 - saw a loss. Upped again to 2400 - saw a loss. Realized if I stick within the 2200-2500 range -- I maintain 143-145lbs. As soon as I drop it back down around 2000 - my weight goes back up to 150lbs.

If you are taking in too few calories your body CAN go into starvation mode because it isn't getting enough calories from food. This seems to be the only explanation I can get for needing so many calories in a day. I truly believe it is because of my job, my workouts, my lifestyle in general.
  • Pattywack74
    Options
    bump
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Bump for me too.
  • helenbeee
    helenbeee Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Don't know - but it happens. I can not explain it. My doctor said that it may be a bit of 'starvation mode' kicking in because my body truly NEEDS the amount of calories I am taking in each day. It is just the way my body works. I can NOT drop too low or it freaks out and starts to slowly gain weight.

Here's an example: Decided I was going to try eating MORE calories to see if my weight would drop or raise. Did it for 10 days and dropped from 145 down to 140-141. I felt overfull all the time and ick, but my body LOVED it. I decided it was just too many calories for me to consume and went back down to 2200-2500 and within 10 days to 2 weeks, I had gained back the 5lbs I had lost when I upped to 3000. I spent MONTHS at 150lbs (Sept 2010 to May 2011) eating 2000 calories a day. Upped to 2200 - saw a loss. Upped again to 2400 - saw a loss. Realized if I stick within the 2200-2500 range -- I maintain 143-145lbs. As soon as I drop it back down around 2000 - my weight goes back up to 150lbs.

If you are taking in too few calories your body CAN go into starvation mode because it isn't getting enough calories from food. This seems to be the only explanation I can get for needing so many calories in a day. I truly believe it is because of my job, my workouts, my lifestyle in general.
    This is really interesting because Im the complete opposite if I eat more than 1400 calories a day the weight just packs on and fast! I also have trouble consuming more than 1200 calories I just dont feel like it. I rarely go hungry or feel like Im not eating enough and if I keep my calorie intake around 1200 I shed weight nice and steady.
    I do however prepare most of my food so I eat lots of fibre, low GI, good protein and keep sugar, salt and fat to a minimum. So lots of oats, legumes, fish, chicken, red meat, eggs, skim milk, plain yogurt, fresh fruit and vegetables. These are very filling foods with low calorie weight.
  • chastitykelly
    chastitykelly Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Have your doctor check your insulin levels. I know someone whose body does this as well, and it was because her body produced TOO MUCH insulin- the exact opposite of diabetes. It's a condition known as Hyperinsulinism. If left untreated, the body can begin to reject the surplus insulin, resulting in diabetes. At least, that's how I understand it. Hope this helps.
  • Aries03
    Aries03 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tramaine81
    tramaine81 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Great posts everyone!

I do understand that lifestyle determines caloric need and being in tune with what your body needs is important. When I was working an 8-5, I was on my feet all of the time (I was a teacher),and I did not have to count my calories often and I seemed to need a lot of food to maintain my weight (155lbs at 5'10). I read somewhere that you can burn as much as 1000 calories a day simply by always being on your feet all day.

However, I am now at a job where I am sedentary, my stress level has increased (I am in school...again), and my metabolism has responded. I gained over 20 lbs in the last year and a half eating the same amount of calories that seemed not to be enough during the previous years ( probably 2000-2500 calories). That is the primary reason that I have joined this community. I definitely agree that it is a case by case basis on the amount of calories to consume and a person should look at how their body responds and their lifestyle. My happy range (with my current lifestyle now) is 1300-1800 calories. If I go higher or lower, my results seem to be stalled.

A few months ago I couldn't imagine eating this amount and being full, but now I am full all of the time because I have changed my foods. Also, I was formerly an athlete so I gain muscle and bulk if I eat a lot and engage in heavier strength training simultaneously. I actually get better results with less strenuous exercises (leisurely walking). My body, like everyone else's, definitely has it's quirks. However, I think that the walking works because it lowers my stress levels and I can engage in walking for a longer time than high intensity exercise (1 hour of walking vs 30 minutes of running). Even though I might burn more calories in the higher intensity exercise, exercise that lowers my stress levels and the amount of time I spend active seem to be more conducive to my weight loss than strenuous activities.

I still have 15 lbs to go; however, I have found that understanding my body and how it relates to my lifestyle is critical in determining my calorie intake.
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    I know for me, my body is very sensitive to high carbs and sugar. I try to eat my 1300 calories but find it very hard most days only getting to 1150-1250 and I have yet to eat my exercise calories back...but I agree that everyones body is different and it takes listening to your body and time figuring out what works for you
  • lloydmel
    lloydmel Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I would say the people that need that many more calories than the majority are truly just active people during the day. Most people are thinking 1200 calories to lose weight, what they aren't realizing is that is for NON-ACTIVE people. The majority of us are all couch potatoes or are working at desk all day without much activity except for when we go to the gym.
    Needing the extra calories is because they need those calories for their regular daily activity. Those people would be fine not even going to the gym most likely because they are getting enough activity without having to do anything extra for it.
    That's why they go into starvation mode at 1600 calories or so....
    It also has to do with the size of the person.

Here's the story though; everyone is different. There isn't a catch all that works for everyone. The problem most people run into is trying something for a week or two and when they don't see results they either quit or move onto something else and then don't give it enough time to work either.

Experiment, yes... but stick to it for a while to see if it will actually work for you. Give your body time to adjust (a few weeks) and then give it a few more weeks to see if it will work.

If you see immediate results ... GREAT, but if you don't that doesn't mean it isn't working.

I think the idea though is to be healthier and more active.

Eat healthy... if you eat your exercise calories back, fill it with nutritional foods, if you don't... make sure you are getting enough food that is fulfilling nutritionally otherwise to support your workouts....
  • chevy88grl
    Options

Have your doctor check your insulin levels. I know someone whose body does this as well, and it was because her body produced TOO MUCH insulin- the exact opposite of diabetes. It's a condition known as Hyperinsulinism. If left untreated, the body can begin to reject the surplus insulin, resulting in diabetes. At least, that's how I understand it. Hope this helps.

Been checked out for everything since there is a family history of diabetes. I am fine. Just need a lot of calories in a day to function properly.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I suggest not exercising on an empty stomach.
    You need energy to work out.
    Your dinner from the night before has already been digested.
    I usually eat breakfast, then wait an hour before doing my workouts.
  • mrk34
    Options
    I just noticed that I missed one letter in my post.

The subject should have been “eat YOUR calories back” not “eat you calories back”.

Sorry.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    well, I don't think it's really necessary to reconcile each meal. For me, it works best to reconcile daily, or at least within 24 hours (if I have a huge burn day like yesterday, where I rode 48 miles and danced 2 belly dance shows), I put the dancing calories on for today, my day off. I knew I would be starving today and want more than 1530 cals, and I couldn't eat over 3500 cals yesterday.

Some people reconcile over a week's time, but for me, that does not work, perhaps bc I am within 5 lbs. of my goal, I am at a snail's pace now :)

Here is a nice explanation for eating the calories you have earned by exercising:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy

Personally, I prefer to eat breakfast prior to a work out, but if I were to have a very early workout planned, I would probably just eat a banana beforehand (I hate getting out of bed).

blessings.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

Here is my story: After maintaining a healthy 127 lbs. for my whole life (except pregnancies), and being very active, I actually gained 15 lbs. over a year by adding in new activities without extra food (I had never counted calories in my life)! 4 hours/week dancing with a new company made me gain 10 lbs, and a 35-mile bike ride/week made me gain another 5. I struggled, frustrated, for an entire year without knowing why I couldn't lose it eating 1200 cals/day. I finally found MFP and the thread "FOR THE PEOPLE WHO WORK OUT LIKE CRAZY AND ARE NOT LOSING", and realized finally that I had been netting fewer than 800 cals (sometimes negative cals!) most days for 15 mos.

Within 2 mos. of learning this and eating properly (1500-3500 calories/day depending on the exercise that day), I have lost 13 of those 15 lbs.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy

blessings.