permanant headache

Options
Hi all just need a bit of advice...is it normal to have a permanent severe headache when starting a diet?? I drastically changed my diet 4 days ago, drinking a ton more water than i used to but for 3 of those four days ive had a permanent severe almost migraine like headache with nausea that painkillers isnt shifting. I keep drinking to make sure it isnt dehydration because im peeing loads but other than diet i havent changed a thing. I dont think i can cope with many more days of it. its even waking me up at night aargghhhh :s

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Have you cut out a lot of processed foods? And increased water?

Id say it's potentially a lack of sodium/electrolytes. You might be drinking more, but if you're peeing lots you're not retaining much of it, and flushing yourself out. If you've cut out a lot of processed food, your sodium will probably be a lot lower too.
    Add mineral salts.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same as @livingleanlivingclean, have a re-hydration drink (a medical one, not an energy drink) and see how you feel.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options

Id say it's potentially a lack of sodium/electrolytes. You might be drinking more, but if you're peeing lots you're not retaining much of it, and flushing yourself out. If you've cut out a lot of processed food, your sodium will probably be a lot lower too.
    Add mineral salts.

This!
    I started taking electrolyte and magnesium/potassium supplement and no headaches anymore.

Of course, many things can cause a headache, but this was my reason.
  • yondaime8
    yondaime8 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Headache might be a sign of really low carbs diet. But that is among way too many other things.
    Consult a doctor asap imo
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Have you cut out caffeine? It may be that you are having caffeine withdrawal.
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    See a doctor
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Changes in diet, lower carbs/lower calories in general can cause side effects. Tack on electrolyte imbalance issue these can definitely can be the reasons. Are you exercising as well? At or near your TOM and you experience any headaches symptoms normally? All these things can be compounding issues as well.

I would concentrate on getting rid of the headache and other symptoms.. Perhaps reintroduce things back into your diet that you cut out, maybe eat at maintenance for a few days and see if this subsides. Ease up on the amount of water. No need to drink gobs of water. If it is one of those pesky real migraines and is not gone in 5 days, you should get to a doctor.

taking too many over the counter or prescription meds over a periods of time can be counter productive to helping and actually can result in rebound headaches so use caution.

• jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Duchy82 wrote: »
    Have you cut out caffeine? It may be that you are having caffeine withdrawal.

This would have been my first guess. If you have seriously upped your water consumption then I have to ask what you were drinking before. Caffeine withdrawals are awful, it took me a full 3 weeks to be able to function properly and the first week or two were a living hell.
  • GirlPanda03
    GirlPanda03 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi all just need a bit of advice...is it normal to have a permanent severe headache when starting a diet?? I drastically changed my diet 4 days ago, drinking a ton more water than i used to but for 3 of those four days ive had a permanent severe almost migraine like headache with nausea that painkillers isnt shifting. I keep drinking to make sure it isnt dehydration because im peeing loads but other than diet i havent changed a thing. I dont think i can cope with many more days of it. its even waking me up at night aargghhhh :s

I recently watched a programme in which people with eating disorders were at a therapy centre to help them recover. Part of that included a complete diet overhaul so everything could be monitored. One woman experienced the worse withdrawal from sugary things - she felt awful, was throwing up etc. I think if your changes are severe it could be withdrawal, especially if you're only 4 days in. I'm personally not a big fan of complete withdrawal; I prefer more gradual unless necessary. Have you drastically cut sugar or caffeine? Withdrawal from either of those can cause major symptoms. I have a friend who really cut down his caffeine and experienced pretty bad depression; it's amazing what can happen when you reduce something so addictive.

The other possibility is that you're not eating enough calories or nutrients. I also know someone who did the 5:2 diet, and on the two cut-down days he had a lot of headaches. Seemed pretty unhealthy to me.
  • IrisFlute
    IrisFlute Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Big changes in diet are one of the known triggers of migraines -- sometimes because you're eating more of a specific food, and sometimes just because of change in routine. Your body is likely to adjust, if you take care to meet your nutritional needs. Exercise supposedly also eases the problem. Here's a great article with lots of good advice:

https://americanmigrainefoundation.org/understanding-migraine/migraine-and-diet/
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I was going to suggest caffeine withdrawal as well, if you previously consumed a lot of soda or flavored coffees and didn't replace the caffeine source. I get migraines, and I've been through caffeine withdrawal headaches and they are about equally vicious! Second the advice to drink something to balance electrolytes. If it is a caffeine headache, being 4 days in you should be nearing the end.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I had that when I cut all added sugars - which included a significant reduction in my caffeine intake since I wasn't using coffee creamer. The headache and withdrawal-like symptoms started in day 2 and were gone by day 5 - day 3 was the worst.
    Try replacing some of the water with a caffeinated green tea with some monk fruit juice extract if you don't like it unsweetened. I have 1 cup of coffee with coconut oil and protein powder each morning and while I would love another it is just too high in calories to justify. So I found a couple different green and black teas (personal faves are Stash Black Forest Cake and Twinnings Chai Ultra Spice) that I brew up and then pour over ice. Still counts as water too. Not sure what you clarify as a ton of water but if it is too much cut back to a reasonable amount until your body figures it out.
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    See a doctor today. Not to alarm you but headaches that wake you up in the middle of the night should not be overlooked. Good luck.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets, lower electrolytes (salt), caffeine withdrawal, or maybe a combo of the three, could be factors for causing such headaches. Do you normally suffer from migraines?
  • Pandakins1969
    Pandakins1969 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

guilty im afraid. i lived on sandwiches, pastries, cakes, chocolate and anything else quick to eat.. I know its not coffee because i cut my coffee down a few weeks ago but i have increased my water a lot since i changed my diet. I had no idea this would affect my electrolytes...what kind of thing should i be drinking? i did a quick scout in my local supermarket and it all seemed to be sugary sports drinks?
  • GirlPanda03
    GirlPanda03 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

guilty im afraid. i lived on sandwiches, pastries, cakes, chocolate and anything else quick to eat.. I know its not coffee because i cut my coffee down a few weeks ago but i have increased my water a lot since i changed my diet. I had no idea this would affect my electrolytes...what kind of thing should i be drinking? i did a quick scout in my local supermarket and it all seemed to be sugary sports drinks?

It's probably the extreme change and if you've dropped a lot of sugar. You are eating enough calories? I certainly wouldn't recommend the energy drinks, they're so hard on your body and have caused people extreme health problems. It might just be a case of trying to get through the detox period, but if it's too bad maybe try introducing a bit of the sugar etc back in then phase it out slowly; I think that's how I'd tackle it to avoid bad withdrawal effects. I hope the headache clears soon; I get a lot of headaches due to health problems and I know how crippling they can be.
  • Ck103084
    Ck103084 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor!! Don't get advice from an internet forum :o Severe head pain can be too many things, you need tests. :/
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    A severe persistent multi-day headache could be a lot of things - from sinus issues to caffeine withdrawal to brain tumors...

See a doctor
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

You can go to the chemist/drugstore for electrolyte drinks/tablets - it's what you might have if you have gastro.

Just adding mineral salt to your food will help too.... The pink stuff!