Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Questions about LCHF

Options
wackymrsb
wackymrsb Posts: 9 Member
have been researching a lot about LCHF and I'm guess what I don't understand is
1. Is it true that wheat and grains are not so good for us?
2. I know you can gain weight eating too much of anything, but is there any advantage (suppressed appetite, etc) to eating low carb?
3. What about ketogenic diets? Are they truly safe? If wheat/grain/sugar is so bad why were folks in the 50s and 60s etc healthy following guidelines such as a meal consisting of protein, starch, vegetable?

Just kind of confused and trying to understand what the two sides of the carb debate are saying.

Replies

• fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yes, I believe it's true. Here is a good link. https://www.dietdoctor.com/health

Plenty of free information.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've been keto a year and a half. For me it controls my hunger and cravings. It allows me to naturally eat less calories. I have RA and have found it reduces flares and lessens my joint pain. I don't eat wheat because I have celiac but I know people who eat it regularly and perfectly healthy. I think in the 50's and 60's people naturally ate smaller portions and were more active.

Edited to add: as to being healthy all my blood work is great. My primary care doctor, rheumatologist, and cardiologist are all fine with me being keto.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I have type 1 diabetes and formerly had type 2 diabetes (was a "double diabetic" for many years). After trying to lose weight for more than 2 years with very slow results, I switched to low carb to help improve BG's. I did not expect my slow weight loss to change because I didn't change calories. What happened is that I started losing 5 times faster at the same calorie level... and I was/am losing at the rate one would expect based on CICO formulas.

That faster weight loss only lasted as long as I continued to reduce carbs. When I got to 20g-30g per day, weight loss stalled for months until I cut out plant products (except coffee and small amounts of sauces / seasonings) in order to eliminate those 20g-30g of carbs (coming from mostly salads, nuts, peanuts & peanut butter); which got me losing weight again.

It isn't a matter of measurements... I used the same digital scale to weigh everything before switching to low carb as I use today. It's just that calorie math doesn't work as long as I eat carbs. BG's are much better now as well.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I ate keto for a year and found it much easier to adhere to my maintenance calories. No raging hunger as I had before. I recently decided to up my carbs and protein a bit and lower the fat so am currently eating what most would consider LCHF (15%c/25%p/60%f) versus keto. If hunger returns, I'll switch back to <20 carbs/day, reduce the protein and eat 75+% fat again.

ETA: Personally I have always considered a ketogenic diet to be one that has the body in a state of ketosis (versus assigning numbers or percentages). I doubt my 15/25/60 will have me there especially since I don't workout.

• Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    1) Not true. I allow my kids to eat wheat products, but I do limit their consumption. I eat it sparingly.
    2) It's kind of tough over eating protein and fat on a consistent basis. Though it is possible with low carb junk food.
    3) The typical diet was whole foods for most part during the 50's and 60's. Eggs, butter, lard, whole milk were common staples. The 1970's is when the national nutritional guidelines were introduced encouraging the public to eat low fat.

https://authoritynutrition.com/11-graphs-that-show-what-is-wrong-with-modern-diet/
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    wackymrsb wrote: »
    2. I know you can gain weight eating too much of anything, but is there any advantage (suppressed appetite, etc) to eating low carb?
    3. What about ketogenic diets? Are they truly safe? If wheat/grain/sugar is so bad why were folks in the 50s and 60s etc healthy following guidelines such as a meal consisting of protein, starch, vegetable?

Just kind of confused and trying to understand what the two sides of the carb debate are saying.

@wackymrsb Welcome to MFP forums. In general with humans there is a range of many different macros made up of Carb, Protein and Fats that people can eat very successfully. Keto seems to be more common for people who have eaten the wrong macro for a long time and in my case I had screwed up my health and was going down fast at the age of 63.

On #1 in my case it was very true that wheat and all grains were very bad for me. 30 days after I stopped eating sugar and all forums of all grains in Oct 2014 after 40 years of joint and muscle pain in the 7-8 pain level range the levels dropped to 2-3. That permitted me to pass on starting Enbrel injections.

On #2 I now stay stuffed 98% of the time without gaining weight sticking with my LCHF macro. After months of trying hard I finally gained 10 pounds holding the carbs around 50 grams most days. It seems to suppress my appetite but I do not think that is the case. I think after I got off processed foods my brain and stomach started communicating so I stopped poking my face with food automatically. I did count calories for a few weeks just to learn what I was actually eating after I learned I had accidentally wound up eating keto but when my over eating disorder resolved automatically on LCHF the need to count calories faded away.

The advantage of low carb for me have been many over the last couple years but first let me be clear that the first two weeks of going off of sugar and all grains were hellish then the carb cravings just started to fade very fast and have yet to return. My blood pressure, blood sugar, lab blood work, weight, IBS, etc became healthier and healthier over time.

On #3 I find the keto way of eating very safe. The food today was nothing like what I ate in the 50s and 60s because we raised most of what we ate. The grains today are not the same from back then either.

There really is no debate about carbs because they are good, neutral or bad for a person's longevity and only each person can decide about carbs for themselves. Based on my personal experience I knew in 30 days that carbs were very bad for me and had frozen or limited my motion in most of the joints in my body. If one seriously follows LCHF for just 90 days they will know if they feel better when when eating a high carb diet or not.

Being free from hunger and automatic body weight control is a plus but in my case. I am gaining hope of preventing my premature death.

Best of success where you go LCHF or keep eating your old way. What are you looking at eating keto today? One does not have to do LCHF to loose weight but without LCHF every time I lost weight I had a 100%+ regain . I have maintained my weight loss for over two years without manually limiting my calories and never having hunger cravings.

• LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options

1. It depends on the person. Most of the people I know who are LC seem to have a lot of trouble with grains. I know some people don't, though.
    2. LC makes it easier for some people to eat at a deficit, making it easier to lose weight. Again, depends on the person.
    3. Keto is safe. Lots of people in there 50's and 60's aren't healthy following the SAD. They aren't given any other options unless they research it themselves.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Daddy78230 wrote: »
    3) The typical diet was whole foods for most part during the 50's and 60's. Eggs, butter, lard, whole milk were common staples. The 1970's is when the national nutritional guidelines were introduced encouraging the public to eat low fat.

Your contrasting of low fat dairy and whole foods is inaccurate, as is the idea that whole foods = high fat diet and low carb, and that lower fat = fewer whole foods. The diet recommended by the dietary guidelines is largely whole foods based, and WFPB is both whole foods oriented and can be extremely low fat.

As the OP said, the standard diet in the 1950s and 1960s was a starch, a protein, and a veg. (This is how I grew up in the '70s and '80s too, and what I eat now and what my grandparents ate -- indeed, as I've written on other threads my grandparents probably ate more bread and potatoes than I ever did.)

The dietary guidelines did not suggest changes this pattern. Indeed, they warned against sugar as well as excessive fat (not all fat), and promoted vegetables and fruit. People largely ignored them, the shift in the diet to convenience foods (high in refined carbs and, often, fat) and snacky foods/fast food (same, with the latter particularly high in fat) happened despite the dietary guidelines. Ultimately it's just not true that our consumption of fat went down. Our percentage consumption went down a little because our calories increased and consumption of highly refined carbs (which I would not simply equate with "carbs" or even whole food starches like whole grains, tubers, and legumes, which would have been popular in those '50s diets) increased even more than fat increased.

http://www.stephanguyenet.com/did-the-us-dietary-guidelines-cause-the-obesity-epidemic/
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @wackymrsb a huge change over the past 60 years has been in our macros even more that our calorie count. Getting the ratio of carbs, protein and fats in tune with our body's need is first required to lose weight and regain lost health and never regain lost fat. Only after that is figured out do we need to get concerned about amount of calories because when the right macro for our own body is found the cravings and other eating disorders seem to just fade away in many cases.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    The answer to this question could be a book long but I will try to summarize. Depending on the person Carbs are not bad. If you are insulin resistant then a LCHF diet might be beneficial to you. If you are insulin resistant your body does not have a chance to burn body fat. Carbs raise insulin (all food does, but Carbs/Sugar spike insulin) and for those like me the insulin does not come down fast enough. So I eat a LCHF diet and have done so successfully and healthy.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

If wheat and grains were bad, or low carb advantageous to weight loss, how come billions of people live healthy lives and are of normal weight in countries that are predominantly high carb? I for one, eat lots of grains (corn, rice, oats, wheat) at every meal, my diet is high carb (75%) coz I eat those grains with starchy veggies like potatoes, beans, lentils etc, plus fruits and sugar, and I've managed to go from 152 to 120 +/-5 lbs and maintained the weight loss for 2 years now.
  • wackymrsb
    wackymrsb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! This was extremely informative!! My husband and I wanted to try a LCHF diet because he is overweight and I am obese. We felt it would be healthier as well as possibly help curb appetite. I feel good going into this way of eating and seeing how it makes us feel and what kind and results we have. We can always tweak things as necessary! Thank you again everyone!