Looking professional, not sweaty! Help!

Options
Third time's the charm...I've posted this on another website and on a group...with zero feedback. Maybe you folks can give me some help...

I need to exercise and still look somewhat "put together" and professional at work. I'm looking at losing 100+ lbs. As you might guess, I sweat pretty easily.

I work in a government office and get 1 hour for lunch. It's a tiny bit flexible, in that I can take it at most any time from 11:30 to 1:30 and I bring lunch so I eat at my desk after my workout. I'm quite lucky in that I have a real office and locking door, instead of a cubicle or shared workspace, so I find myself after my lunch-time workout - (generally a long walk of 20 to 30 minutes) - locking the door and stripping down to my skivvies until I stop sweating. Obviously, this is not ideal and potentially embarrassing.

I do bring a t-shirt and sports bra to work and I've come to the conclusion I have to bring a hair dryer and work-out capris to change into as well, as it's only going to get hotter. I keep deodorant and some powder spray in my filing cabinet.

I do get a short workout in at home before work and I generally work kind of late, so after doesn't work well...so lunch hour is the best time for me to get in some cardio, and it's the lunch hour exercise that has me looking a hot mess. I sweat off my makeup and generally have a problem getting put back together in the time I have left.

I thought I'd start this thread to see if anyone has any tips, tricks, product suggestions, etc...for keeping a professional appearance while trying to get fit.

Replies

• liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Just do what your doing, there's no magic pill to not sweat. No pain no gain.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I sweat less when I lift weights, so I stick to that at work rather than lifting. Having a pulled back professional looking hairstyle is a good idea because even if it's damp it will look fine.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    tjkita wrote: »
    Just do what your doing, there's no magic pill to not sweat. No pain no gain.

I KNOW I'm going to sweat. :) The question is more...if you work out at lunch, what do you do (short of showering and starting over - I don't have that ability) to get yourself looking put-together for the rest of the day? Does anyone use any specific make-up or hair products that you find helpful? That sort of thing.

• fit_finesse92
    fit_finesse92 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Dry shampoo helps a lot too. I have my bag with an entire change of clothes from bra to socks, deodorant, perfume, dry shampoo, and feminine wipes that i keep at my desk for when i work out on my lunch breaks. I always give myself about 5-10 minutes after to cool down too.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing pretty well with it already.

I'd go for a short haircut to start. Cool, and easy to style.

By the time I'm done with my cool-down, I'm mostly done sweating, and rarely need more than a cold face wash and hair brush. My face gets super red and that takes a while to calm down, but nothing to be done about that. I don't wear make-up, so I can offer any help there.

What's the dress code like? Could you get away with a pair of stretchy pants (LLBean makes some that are breathable, but smart) and a breathable tshirt that doesn't look like sportswear? A polo, maybe?
  • myname20
    myname20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I look terrible after gym (cardio especially) but I always go to the shower and do make up and dry my hair after, it takes max 20 min for me. Maybe you can just plan it into your workout time?
    If you cant take a shower then do something light that doesnt make you sweaty (how obvious! :smiley: ), for me its weights, but I dont do anything heavy so..
    Walking outside sounds like the best choice for you!
  • myname20
    Options
    I woudnt go to work without shower.. Just because you are not red and sweaty anymore, doesnt mean you dont smell like a *kitten*! :smiley:
  • myname20
    Options
    Ahh sorry, I didnt read what you wrote very carefully! :smile: ..... What about finding some gym near you? I still suggest walking to you. Good luck!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Figure out if you can visit a gym, change clothes and shower during your break? Work out at a different time? I cannot imagine myself working out at lunchbreak, as it would mean changing into workout clothes, working out, showering, changing back into normal clothes and the total time would most certainly not be remotely reasonable for a lunch break.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    myname20 wrote: »
    Walking outside sounds like the best choice for you!

Walking outside is best for me...really about all there is. No gym or anything close by. My car is a 5 to 10 minute walk away depending on where I park, so driving, working out, showering, makeup and back to work just isn't going to happen. I CAN walk indoors in a neighboring office building - they have a floor that lots of people walk and when it's 100 outside, or raining, I'll go there.

TmacMMM wrote: »
    What's the dress code like? Could you get away with a pair of stretchy pants (LLBean makes some that are breathable, but smart) and a breathable tshirt that doesn't look like sportswear? A polo, maybe?

Pretty laid back luckily. No jeans except Friday, no T-shirts. Otherwise it's pretty casual. Finding breathable, decent trousers in my size??? Not so easy.

Dry shampoo helps a lot too. I have my bag with an entire change of clothes from bra to socks, deodorant, perfume, dry shampoo, and feminine wipes that i keep at my desk for when i work out on my lunch breaks. I always give myself about 5-10 minutes after to cool down too.

I think I'm going to have to go a complete change, like you. Does dry shampoo actually do much? I assume I'd have to dry my sweaty hair first. Right now my hair is just past my shoulders, but it's a grown-out bob. I am planning on trying to cut it into something a bit more wash-and-wear.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    Baby wipes are a good way to freshen up after a walk. Makeup removing wipes make it pretty quick and easy to remove makeup and reapply if you need to. As for hair, I pull mine up in a pony tail and then just brush it afterwards. That would really depend on what type of hairstyle you have. I do know a lot of people who swear by the dry shampoo.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I pretty much have the same office set up as you. I walk at lunch, keep baby wipes and deodorant in my desk. I change into workout clothes in my office, and off I go. Afterwards, I cool down a bit, wipe down with the baby wipes, deodorant up, change back into work clothes and call it good.

I figure my health is more important than if my hair is a bit messy (very short hairstyle) or if someone happens to smell a bit of sweat. Good enough for government work (literally :D ).
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    We have a workout room here in the office equipped with all the fixins, so I take total advantage of it as much as I can. I have short hair now, so I just leave my hair down and blow dry and re-straighten the underneath when I'm finished. I continue sweating for about an hour afterwards until my HR gets back to resting. I simply keep my towel with me and keep patting myself dry. However, when I had long hair, I would simply throw my hair in a ponytail or messy/cute bun and continue patting myself dry until resting HR was reached.

As for the makeup, you might consider finding a different makeup. Not to promote a certain brand but, ever since I switched to Urban Decay All Nighter, applying it with the UD Optical Blurring Brush and then setting it with UD All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray, I haven't had any issues with sweating all of my makeup off while working out. I do need to touch up with press powder after, but there's definitely no reapplying needed. Also, find a good waterproof mascara!

I hope this helps! I know it can be difficult getting the lunch-time workout in, but if you're like me and have a private office, continue utilizing that. I just have to walk down a flight of stairs to get to our gym here at work, but I still don't have time for a shower - most of the people in our office don't. There are SEVERAL women who use the gym here and we all just bring Fresh Wipes for our post workout and then redress in our work clothes.

Don't worry if you're a little sweating for the last few hours of the day. Just close the door and bury your nose in work! ;-)
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    myname20 wrote: »
    I woudnt go to work without shower.. Just because you are not red and sweaty anymore, doesnt mean you dont smell like a *kitten*! :smiley:

Fresh Wipes! It's like taking a shower just a helluva lot less time.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I'd change into workout clothes, walk, cool down in said workout clothes, and then freshen up wipes as best as I could. You can reapply powder and lipstick once your face is dry (a fresh coat of both covers a multitude of sins!) Dry shampoo is also a good idea. My hair is almost always in a bun at work anyway, so I'd just spritz it with a little water to tame the frizz and re-bun it. Done. But I'm an accountant, so nobody is expecting me to look pretty, just nerdy :tongue: I've got that covered!
  • a2z76
    a2z76 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Is it just other employees that you have to interact with after lunch or do you see a lot of the public as well? I have a desk job where I don't interact directly with the public, so it's just the other employees that see me as a hot sweaty mess. When anyone gives me funny looks I'm proud to say "I just went for a run!" They are all extremely supportive and I've even gotten a few other employees to go with me. I have the luxury of a shower at work but I still tend to sweat for a good hour after I run. My face is always beet red as well. I don't shower my face or hair to save time. I use Neutorgena or similar brand of face wipes to wipe off the sweat and then just touch up my makeup. I also use the "cooling" option on my hair dryer to dry my hair. The heat makes me sweat that much more. I also have a fan in my office that I will point directly at me for the next hour to further cool me down. On days that I'm running I wear dress clothes that are more breathable and darker colors and I stay away from cotton . It hides the sweat better. I know that you don't have the option of a shower at your job but the wipes are a life saver. You can use them all over, not just your face. Good luck and Congrats on sticking with it!!
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    CatchMom13 wrote: »
    As for the makeup, you might consider finding a different makeup. Not to promote a certain brand but, ever since I switched to Urban Decay All Nighter, applying it with the UD Optical Blurring Brush and then setting it with UD All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray, I haven't had any issues with sweating all of my makeup off while working out. I do need to touch up with press powder after, but there's definitely no reapplying needed. Also, find a good waterproof mascara!

+1 for Urban Decay. That stuff has lasted me through a walk home in the rain.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    MAC makeup doesn't sweat off, and get water proof mascara . And if you have a private office , set up a fan in there, i have a fan in my office to help cool me down after a hard lunch workout. I also sometimes sit in the car with the air conditioner on for a bit before heading back in .
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    CatchMom13 wrote: »

+1 for Urban Decay. That stuff has lasted me through a walk home in the rain.

+2. I also use UD all-nighter and it stays on forever. I squeeze some onto the back of my hand and then apply with a stippling brush and that stuff DOES NOT come off my hand until I've washed them about 3 times with soap and water.
  • fit_finesse92
    fit_finesse92 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to have to go a complete change, like you. Does dry shampoo actually do much? I assume I'd have to dry my sweaty hair first. Right now my hair is just past my shoulders, but it's a grown-out bob. I am planning on trying to cut it into something a bit more wash-and-wear. [/quote]

Yes, the dry shampoo helps a ton! My hair is about the same length and also a grown out bob. I usually just throw it up in a bun after my workout. I also work out outside, since I have a shared office space. I use the estee lauder double wear foundation or a mineral foundation and haven't had any issues.