Weight gain on a weight loss journey?

Options
Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone else has gained weight whilst on their weight loss journey and how they bounced back from it. As its been Easter I've overindulged need help getting back on track.

Replies

• Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Last month before my TOM I gained 10lbs and it didn't come off. I didn't let it bother me and I have lost 3lbs of it in 3 weeks. Just continue to follow your deficit and know that weight fluctuates.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    You just have to treat every day (and every meal) as a new opportunity to eat right. I also took Easter off and ate everything. I "gained" about 3.5 lb, if you compare my weight on Saturday to my weight on Monday. Now I'm back to about half a pound up from where I was on Saturday. That might be my true gain (I did eat about 3,000 - 4,000 calories that day), so now it's time to get back to my deficit and roll on.

I'm going to have days where I eat all the food. I'm going to gain a bit over special holidays. I can lose it again, right away, if I put the work in and get back to a deficit.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I "gained" 6 pounds over Easter weekend. I got straight back on track Monday morning and it's all gone plus more.

• Getmehealthy101
    Getmehealthy101 Posts: 17 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thank you all very much for your support. It's good to know I'm not the only one going through this.
  • Getmehealthy101
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    You just have to treat every day (and every meal) as a new opportunity to eat right. I also took Easter off and ate everything. I "gained" about 3.5 lb, if you compare my weight on Saturday to my weight on Monday. Now I'm back to about half a pound up from where I was on Saturday. That might be my true gain (I did eat about 3,000 - 4,000 calories that day), so now it's time to get back to my deficit and roll on.

I'm going to have days where I eat all the food. I'm going to gain a bit over special holidays. I can lose it again, right away, if I put the work in and get back to a deficit.

I'm definitely going to incorporate this mindset, thanks
  • Getmehealthy101
    Options
    After overindulgence do you get back on your plan or cut back more by creating a bigger calorie deficit and going harder in the gym?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    After overindulgence do you get back on your plan or cut back more by creating a bigger calorie deficit and going harder in the gym?

Nope. Just back on plan. I don't punish myself for choices I make. I knew I was going to indulge on Easter. It was a conscious choice. And like I said, back on plan and all that water weight (cuz it isn't fat) is already gone.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    ha sure have.

My first year, I weighed 285lbs, I lifted 7x a week and didn't focus on diet/cardio. In 1 year I lost 20lbs and gained a bit of muscle mass. Then i focused on my diet, i went from 265 to 225 in 4 months. And then i got loose on my diet and gained all 40lbs back before the year ended. Then as i was there at 265 again, i decided to make my diet a lifetime change and not just a diet and from there I got to 200lbs within 7 months and that was almost 4 years ago, so it's been a very sustainable change.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Just go back to the plan. You don't need to do anything extra. You'll probably also find over time that you overdo it a little less - maybe one meal, instead of one day, or just generally not eating until it's uncomfortable.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The key is to get back on track immediately. Not tomorrow, or next week, or 2 weeks from now. NOW. What's done is done. Move forward now and do it better.

To answer your question, yes, I've gained weight. Gained 7 pounds in one weekend at Fan Expo. Lost it all plus some in 9 days. I gained 3 pounds over Easter weekend. Again, all gone now plus some.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    We've all been there...or going to be there at some point.

The more experienced I get with this the more I believe that it is simply not natural to eat at maintenance. Some people have built a routine that increases assurances that this happens through their routine, but for the vast majority we will need to keep tabs on this.

Bottom line there's nothing wrong with you - life is going to throw competing priorities at you. Learn from it and try to minimize it as much as possible.

FAIL = First Attempt In Learning
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I had the laziest of winters and I was intermittent logging... gained 10lbs (no surprise there) Taking them off over the next 10 weeks. No biggie
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yep. Gained many times, as you can see on the charts in my sig line link. The important thing is getting back on track after a gain. :)

Down 140lbs: My story.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Yup. Losing the five pounds I gained due to stress eating my way through a medical scare recently. The thing that I'm taking away from it is that I'm giving myself credit for keeping up my exercise habit during the whole debacle and that I learned that I can go back to being on track when the storm passes so it's okay to ease up on myself sometimes in the midst of crisis. I did have days during the whole spell where I had no appetite and barely ate and other days where it was quite ugly.

I know I have the tools to lose this weight and the most important thing is that I'm not letting the five pounds be reason for letting me throw in the towel entirely. This is a long game.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Yup. Losing the five pounds I gained due to stress eating my way through a medical scare recently. The thing that I'm taking away from it is that I'm giving myself credit for keeping up my exercise habit during the whole debacle and that I learned that I can go back to being on track when the storm passes so it's okay to ease up on myself sometimes in the midst of crisis. I did have days during the whole spell where I had no appetite and barely ate and other days where it was quite ugly.

I'm glad things turned out all right :heart:
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

I'm glad things turned out all right :heart:

Thanks. In some ways, it's not over because it's all still a big mystery, but the big scary diagnosis possibilities were eliminated, so there's that.