This is so stupid, but I'm curious

So, I like to think of myself as a runner. I am definitely a recreational runner and am only competitive with myself and am not dedicated enough to run in the winter. I have been running 2 miles regularly for a while and recently upped it to 3-4. For the last month or so I have been running 5-6 days a week. Before that it just depended on the weather, but I try for at least 5 days a week in non winter months.

In October I tripped over a large height difference in a crack in the sidewalk, landed on my right wrist and had to have emergency surgery inserting a plate (my hand was falling off of my wrist). I had a long recovery (still not back to normal ROM) but I started running again, very, very carefully and more aware of the sidewalk.

Last night I tripped. And fell. On a height difference in a sidewalk crack. Luckily no breaks, just a badly skinned knee and some concrete burn, but I'm wondering what the hell is going on.

Am I meant to not be a runner? Running wrong? Neurological problem? What is wrong with me?!

I am too embarrassed to talk to my "runner" friends about this because WHO THE HELL FALLS THIS MUCH?! And no, I am NOT typically accident prone or clumsy in regular, everyday life or even my other workouts (which include cardio and weight lifting).

Any insight?

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    alheise12 wrote: »
    So, I like to think of myself as a runner. I am definitely a recreational runner and am only competitive with myself and am not dedicated enough to run in the winter. I have been running 2 miles regularly for a while and recently upped it to 3-4. For the last month or so I have been running 5-6 days a week. Before that it just depended on the weather, but I try for at least 5 days a week in non winter months.

In October I tripped over a large height difference in a crack in the sidewalk, landed on my right wrist and had to have emergency surgery inserting a plate (my hand was falling off of my wrist). I had a long recovery (still not back to normal ROM) but I started running again, very, very carefully and more aware of the sidewalk.

Last night I tripped. And fell. On a height difference in a sidewalk crack. Luckily no breaks, just a badly skinned knee and some concrete burn, but I'm wondering what the hell is going on.

Am I meant to not be a runner? Running wrong? Neurological problem? What is wrong with me?!

I am too embarrassed to talk to my "runner" friends about this because WHO THE HELL FALLS THIS MUCH?! And no, I am NOT typically accident prone or clumsy in regular, everyday life or even my other workouts (which include cardio and weight lifting).

Any insight?

do you fall when not running? like are you prone to trip? do you misjudge distance? How is your eyesight?

talk to your doctor! you do have a regular family doc right? :)
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    You should talk to your runner friends who are experienced. They can check out your form and make recommendations. I tend to look down a lot to make sure I am not stepping into a pot hole or something.

I to run for recreation only competing with myself and I definitely do not run in the Winter!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    I'm guessing you don't pick your feet up very high when you run. On a flat surface, that'd be a benefit - more efficient. On an uneven surface not so much. If you're going to continue running on sidewalks in poor condition, you're going to want to watch for cracks and think about making sure you're picking your feet up enough to get over. If nothing else, seeing them will help you be prepared to catch yourself in case you trip.

Where sidewalks are in bad shape, I try to run in the street opposing traffic until I get to a properly maintained section. Where I live, the street is in much better condition and I'm only contending with neighborhood traffic - slow and not a lot. I wear a light so the cars can see me and I keep an eye out for them, of course. Obviously don't do this if traffic is dangerous where you are.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited April 2017
    I've been thinking about starting a jogging routine since I moved to the city, whereas I used to run in a park with asphalt paths. I'm scared...But I do have insurance, and my boss would probably let me work with injuries.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I would try to stay off sidewalks or hard surfaces after what happened to you. Do you have a park where you can run on dirt paths? If you fall, you won't do as much damage.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    For me, I have hypermobile joints, so before I got ankle supports/wraps, I'd fall down all the time. Literally three training sessions in a row, me face down. Now it never happens because I have the right equipment to help me. I'd definitely talk to your runner friends if you don't talk to your doctor. A second or third pair of eyes never killed anyone. :heart:
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited April 2017
    I know it's not feasible for people in larger cities/towns, but in my town (small and rural) I simply run in the street toward oncoming traffic. I only use the sidewalks when cars won't get over or if I see a need to be off the road. The city takes care of the roads and they are usually level and smooth, the sidewalks.. not so much. Homeowners don't maintain them unless they are made to do so by the city, so they are uneven, not level at all, and full of cracks and holes. Food for thought, just wear bright colors so cars can see you and pay attention. Again, in a busy city probably not a good idea, but you can also find a park. Our park has a running/walking/biking path that is about 5 miles in length. It's highly visible so there's no risk of going in the woods somewhere on it.

Edit: By the way, when you fell, if there were medical expenses, the homeowner (if there was one) with the sidewalk is liable. That's why we have homeowner's insurance. It's also why you should maintain your sidewalks. ;)

Food for thought.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    I don't run, but I am a walker. I agree with stealthq, as that is my problem, not picking up my feet high enough. I walk in the morning (when it is still dark) before work. I tripped and banged up my shoulder pretty bad. Nothing like what you did last fall, though. But it is an issue for me of not picking up my feet high enough. I try to be really conscious of it now, and really watch the ground. May be an issue for you as well.
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    Happened to me once going up a street curb. Mentally.... curbs are usually not obstacles to me (especially when I'm just walking), but when fatigue starts to set in and I want to maintain stride, I get lazy and underestimate the tact I will need to change pace and footing on uneven terrain. Try and remind yourself to slow down in uneven areas! Even if it seems like it should be a non-issue.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    I thought the statement was "if you're a runner, it's not if you fall, it's when."
  • ItsSlimpossible12
    ItsSlimpossible12 Posts: 127 Member
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    alheise12 wrote: »

Any insight?

do you fall when not running? like are you prone to trip? do you misjudge distance? How is your eyesight?

talk to your doctor! you do have a regular family doc right? :)

Nope. Not very. Nope. 20/20

Aaaaaaaaand nope.

• ItsSlimpossible12
    I've been thinking about starting a jogging routine since I moved to the city, whereas I used to run in a park with asphalt paths. I'm scared...But I do have insurance, and my boss would probably let me work with injuries.

I was out for 2 weeks after my wrist surgery, luckily I had been at my job for 10 years and this was my first medical incident!
  • ItsSlimpossible12
    For me, I have hypermobile joints, so before I got ankle supports/wraps, I'd fall down all the time. Literally three training sessions in a row, me face down. Now it never happens because I have the right equipment to help me. I'd definitely talk to your runner friends if you don't talk to your doctor. A second or third pair of eyes never killed anyone. :heart:

Thank you for the insight! I appreciate it.
  • ItsSlimpossible12
    I know it's not feasible for people in larger cities/towns, but in my town (small and rural) I simply run in the street toward oncoming traffic. I only use the sidewalks when cars won't get over or if I see a need to be off the road. The city takes care of the roads and they are usually level and smooth, the sidewalks.. not so much. Homeowners don't maintain them unless they are made to do so by the city, so they are uneven, not level at all, and full of cracks and holes. Food for thought, just wear bright colors so cars can see you and pay attention. Again, in a busy city probably not a good idea, but you can also find a park. Our park has a running/walking/biking path that is about 5 miles in length. It's highly visible so there's no risk of going in the woods somewhere on it.

Edit: By the way, when you fell, if there were medical expenses, the homeowner (if there was one) with the sidewalk is liable. That's why we have homeowner's insurance. It's also why you should maintain your sidewalks. ;)

Food for thought.

It's funny how you had no idea I work for lawyers and this is the first thing they told me.
  • ItsSlimpossible12
    Happened to me once going up a street curb. Mentally.... curbs are usually not obstacles to me (especially when I'm just walking), but when fatigue starts to set in and I want to maintain stride, I get lazy and underestimate the tact I will need to change pace and footing on uneven terrain. Try and remind yourself to slow down in uneven areas! Even if it seems like it should be a non-issue.

That's great advice, thank you. Maybe I am getting fatigued and don't realize it's affecting how I pick up my feet.
  • ItsSlimpossible12
    edited April 2017
    I thought the statement was "if you're a runner, it's not if you fall, it's when."

I had never heard that before. Surprisingly, it makes me feel a little better!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited April 2017
    @alheise12 I thought about you this morning!!!! I started my run and didnt pick up my feet and completely wiped out on a raised crack on the sidewalk!! Have a hole in my running pants and my knees are scraped and bleeding! Thank God I didnt break anything!

That was the first time I fell while running LOL!!
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    A good long while ago I spent several months in a wheelchair recovering from a crash. I had previously been running quite a bit (usually in the street) but during my recovery I tried to keep my conditioning up somehow. I took wheelchair "strolls" on the sidewalks and found them completely impassable where the many giant oak trees had lifted and tilted them. Despite my complaint, nothing was ever done about them, which I understand, because no one wants the century old trees to be taken down or to move the sidewalks on to people's yards. This is probably a common problem in a mature urban residential neighborhood, but it seems pretty bad that people in wheelchairs can't use the public sidewalks.

My solution then and this may be a possibility for you was to move my workouts to a smooth paved recreational trail.
  • cforsyth617
    cforsyth617 Posts: 205 Member
    hi, I fall all the time usually at least one fall during a marathon season, two seasons a year. I have probably had a least 20 falls with skinned and knees and hands . I have been told it is because I run on my toes and because I am tall this makes me unsteady and more likely to fall. I haven't had any breaks or tears just minor abrasions and ripped tights. I find that I tend to fall when I am tired and low energy so I make sure I have something in my stomach before a run.
  • whatlunasaid
    whatlunasaid Posts: 173 Member
    Just something to consider: Have you gotten checked for nutrient deficiencies? Apologies if you've already mentioned this.