This is so stupid, but I'm curious

2»

Replies

• quebot
    quebot Posts: 99 Member
    I've fallen a few times. No damage as bad as yours, but enough for me to only run in the road now. The sidewalks around here are terrible. Atlanta's falling apart anyways. You can't even trust the ground you're standing on. lol
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    run in known areas

run on a track

run on a treadmill

I see no reason why you need to STOP, but you might want to put yourself in safer situations for a while.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I'm not a runner. I have "improper" form because I look where I'm running/walking rather than my head up eyes front. I don't trip anymore though, so bonus to "bad" form.
  • Radroit
    Radroit Posts: 1 Member
    Nineteen marathons, numerous tri's, lots and lots of trail running, never fallen or come close to falling. I can understand getting so 'zoned' that you might stop paying attention to your track...but clearly that's something you need to not let happen. If you're not checking upcoming terrain you're doing it wrong. But don't stop running, just be more careful. Being aware of your surroundings is crucial to your safety, whether it's trip hazards, cyclists, horseback riders, motor vehicles, even people intent on mischief. As a young lady I think the latter should be high on your list.

Having said that, I think it's unfortunate that our litigious society leads events such as yours so quickly to 'sue someone'.
  • ItsSlimpossible12
    ItsSlimpossible12 Posts: 127 Member
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    @alheise12 I thought about you this morning!!!! I started my run and didnt pick up my feet and completely wiped out on a raised crack on the sidewalk!! Have a hole in my running pants and my knees are scraped and bleeding! Thank God I didnt break anything!

That was the first time I fell while running LOL!!

Oh no, I hope I didn't jinx you!! Glad you're ok!
  • ItsSlimpossible12
    Radroit wrote: »
    Nineteen marathons, numerous tri's, lots and lots of trail running, never fallen or come close to falling. I can understand getting so 'zoned' that you might stop paying attention to your track...but clearly that's something you need to not let happen. If you're not checking upcoming terrain you're doing it wrong. But don't stop running, just be more careful. Being aware of your surroundings is crucial to your safety, whether it's trip hazards, cyclists, horseback riders, motor vehicles, even people intent on mischief. As a young lady I think the latter should be high on your list.

Having said that, I think it's unfortunate that our litigious society leads events such as yours so quickly to 'sue someone'.

Wow, the condescension is oozing out of this one. I aspire to one day reach your level of perfection.

I do pay attention to my surroundings, don't run with headphones in both ears, pay attention to where I am running, and run with a "protection tool" in case I come across people intent on mischief. I am well aware of my surroundings, so as a "young lady", all are high on my list. Thanks for that suggestion though.

I think its unfortunate that those of us responsible home owners that maintain our properties and pay to do so when the City offers to fix any deficiencies in the sidewalk every single summer, have to pay the price for those who don't bother. Having said that, I never said that I sued anyone, I said it was suggested to me because the lazy homeowner has a 3 inch crack in their sidewalk and it is their responsibility to maintain their property.
  • Morganbennett1
    Morganbennett1 Posts: 106 Member
    alheise12 wrote: »
    So, I like to think of myself as a runner. I am definitely a recreational runner and am only competitive with myself and am not dedicated enough to run in the winter. I have been running 2 miles regularly for a while and recently upped it to 3-4. For the last month or so I have been running 5-6 days a week. Before that it just depended on the weather, but I try for at least 5 days a week in non winter months.

In October I tripped over a large height difference in a crack in the sidewalk, landed on my right wrist and had to have emergency surgery inserting a plate (my hand was falling off of my wrist). I had a long recovery (still not back to normal ROM) but I started running again, very, very carefully and more aware of the sidewalk.

Last night I tripped. And fell. On a height difference in a sidewalk crack. Luckily no breaks, just a badly skinned knee and some concrete burn, but I'm wondering what the hell is going on.

Am I meant to not be a runner? Running wrong? Neurological problem? What is wrong with me?!

I am too embarrassed to talk to my "runner" friends about this because WHO THE HELL FALLS THIS MUCH?! And no, I am NOT typically accident prone or clumsy in regular, everyday life or even my other workouts (which include cardio and weight lifting).

Any insight?

Hey,
    No judgement here! Do you wear contacts or glasses when you run? I fell down some stairs one day out of nowhere, and then I started falling all the time. I figured out it was because my prescription changed on me and my depth perception was off. After I got new contacts, no more falls. It's worth a shot if you are having some serious falls.
  • yancystreet
    yancystreet Posts: 38 Member
    I run outdoors as well, I refuse to run on sidewalks for the very reason you mentioned. Uneven pavement, also the threat of cars backing out of their driveway. I have found a nice out of the way neighborhood, quite isolated from pass through traffic. I drive to it, run, drive back home. I run in the street. Very few car issues in that neighborhood.

Are there any parks or trails around you with running paths?
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,626 Member
    I've had a couple of falls. And each time it's been because my hips were out and I wasn't picking up one foot properly. A trip to the osteopath solved my problem.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    this is one of my biggest fears. i trip in every run, sometimes 2-3 times, on the stupid sidewalks that are not flat.I always manage to stay upright, but i fear that my luck will run out. When i approach sidewalks or parts of the road that i have tripped on before, i make sure i lift my legs higher.And i try to run on flat surfaces as much as possible.When it's raining or snowing i take smaller steps.So far so good.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Radroit wrote: »

Perhaps you had good intentions when you posted this response. But after 2 triathlons, 12 marathons, 2 50 mile ultramarathons, and runs on trails, roads and sidewalks - all of which were done with every bit of attention to my surroundings (no headphones, running on the correct side of the trail/road) - I still fell countless times. I've fallen on trails, sidewalks, and roads.

I know that it is because when I become fatigued I don't pick my feet up enough.

Good on you for never falling during your races, but realize that you may very well be the exception, not the rule.

• crumbtinies
    crumbtinies Posts: 29 Member
    I too have fallen numerous times, and therefore I do try really hard to pay attention to my surroundings, especially on sidewalks. But like a few others here, I tend to trip and fall when I am tired. I certainly don't pick up my feet enough (I have perfected the marathon shuffle o.O) and the fatigue also diminishes my concentration on my surroundings. After one particularly nasty fall, I was afraid to run for a while, as every time I tried I just kept picturing myself tripping and falling again. I just ran super slow and cautious until I got over it. I hope that my awareness of the problem has actually saved me for even more falls, but who knows. I finally found a few running routes that are more asphalt path than broken sidewalks so I try to stick to those when I can.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    I walk with my partner, he trips at least twice a walk over cracks, uneven pavement - not bad enough to fall down, but enough to make me laugh at him. Because he's lazy - he drags his feet. Pick your feet up, look where you're going, you won't trip.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    stealthq wrote: »
    I'm guessing you don't pick your feet up very high when you run. On a flat surface, that'd be a benefit - more efficient. On an uneven surface not so much. If you're going to continue running on sidewalks in poor condition, you're going to want to watch for cracks and think about making sure you're picking your feet up enough to get over. If nothing else, seeing them will help you be prepared to catch yourself in case you trip.

Where sidewalks are in bad shape, I try to run in the street opposing traffic until I get to a properly maintained section. Where I live, the street is in much better condition and I'm only contending with neighborhood traffic - slow and not a lot. I wear a light so the cars can see me and I keep an eye out for them, of course. Obviously don't do this if traffic is dangerous where you are.

I just recently bought something called a "milestone pod" that measures your stride, it could help you determine if you are picking up your feet enough. It is only $25 and attaches to your shoelaces.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member

Edit: By the way, when you fell, if there were medical expenses, the homeowner (if there was one) with the sidewalk is liable. That's why we have homeowner's insurance. It's also why you should maintain your sidewalks. ;)

Food for thought.

Depends on where you live, state and municipal laws could differ.
  • ItsSlimpossible12
    Thank you all for your insightful, thoughtful comments! I will look into some of the suggestions. And I'm glad that I am not along (not that I'm happy that some of you fall, but you know what I mean) But I am going to guess it is the not realizing I'm not picking my feet up high enough when I get fatigued. I run on a trail in a forest preserve on the weekends (no falls there), but unfortunately can't get there before dark after work during the week. I ran yesterday evening and was very conscious of lifting my feet up higher the whole time. Seemed to affect my knee a bit (as I had a twinge of pain I hadn't experienced before) and affected my pace (which is NBD to me) but its MUCH better than the consequences I experience when I drag my feet!

Thank you all, again! And happy, fall-free running! :smiley: