Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    My weight loss has been kind of weird. :/

ja8wz3etr2mx.jpg

:laugh:
    Dayum, I thought I was the only one with crazy *kitten* weight loss trends!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    schtump wrote: »
    Why shouldn't you weigh every day? I think it's a good idea to weigh every day, and use a weight trend app to see how you're progressing - loss isn't linear, so trends over time can be helpful rather than focusing on the daily number

For many people weighing everyday isn't detrimental physically, but psychologically. Many people have a hard time not "focusing on the daily number." If you can understand that today's number is just a number then weighing every day is fine. But, if you internalize every weigh in you might feel like it's hopeless.

Couldn't agree more. If you're weighing every day, it becomes can become obsessive for some people and your whole day can depend on what the scales say. Not worth the anxiety and mood swings it causes in people who don't understand the fact that weight is constantly fluctuating and weight loss is not a linear process.
    Fixed it for you. n=1 is not the same as n=all.

Many of us weigh daily and have no problems whatsoever with it because we understand that weight fluctuates and we understand why it fluctuates. We look at the daily scale readings only as data points in a bigger picture, that being the overall trend over time.
  • GirlPanda03
    GirlPanda03 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Why shouldn't you weigh every day? I think it's a good idea to weigh every day, and use a weight trend app to see how you're progressing - loss isn't linear, so trends over time can be helpful rather than focusing on the daily number

For many people weighing everyday isn't detrimental physically, but psychologically. Many people have a hard time not "focusing on the daily number." If you can understand that today's number is just a number then weighing every day is fine. But, if you internalize every weigh in you might feel like it's hopeless.

Couldn't agree more. If you're weighing every day, it becomes can become obsessive for some people and your whole day can depend on what the scales say. Not worth the anxiety and mood swings it causes in people who don't understand the fact that weight is constantly fluctuating and weight loss is not a linear process.

Many of us weigh daily and have no problems whatsoever with it because we understand that weight fluctuates and we understand why it fluctuates. We look at the daily scale readings only as data points in a bigger picture, that being the overall trend over time.

It's not about 'understanding that weight fluctuates' - many people know this but using the scales, particularly on a daily basis, still becomes obsessive for them. Of course not everyone experiences this, but to say it's simply about understanding basic information is wrong.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

It's not about 'understanding that weight fluctuates' - many people know this but using the scales, particularly on a daily basis, still becomes obsessive for them. Of course not everyone experiences this, but to say it's simply about understanding basic information is wrong.

My point exactly. Thank you for clarifying the meaning of your post.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have to be very careful not to become obsessed with the scale. I have to keep reminding myself that my new way of eating is the reason my stomach doesn't hurt anymore. I know by logging my food every day that I'm within my calories and nutrient goals, and I'm moving more, I'm not hungry, or feeling deprived.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    My weight loss has been kind of weird. :/

ja8wz3etr2mx.jpg

Dude, you win!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday and if my weight starts to creep up after a week or so, I'm back to logging my intake. If I weighed every week, I may not notice the uptake on the scale and would write it off as a natural fluctuation. It's easier to lose five pounds of fat then 10.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The typical bathroom scale isn't accurate enough to show daily weight changes. Some will show a weight in tenths of a pound but won't change for less than 0.2 or 0.4 lbs.