PCOS and in need of Support, I need to lose 141 lbs!

Options

Replies

• Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried zucchini noodles yet, it's been on my to-do list though. Over here we have something called Slendier noodles- not tofu, but made of a Chinese vegetable called konjac. I tried them at a friend's place and didn't mind them, so I bought a pack yesterday. 125g for only 10cal sounds pretty good.... hopefully I can make them taste yummy!!!
  • bcirone
    bcirone Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I just returned to mfp last week and am starting to log again. reading your post, i feel like you are my twin! I noticed on my physical, my pcp wrote suspect PCOS, but didn't discuss it with me. I looked it up and wonder why he didn't add metformin or anything?
    I needed a jumpstart, so I am doing SouthBeach diet, and have to say I can already feel the shift in my energy and feel less bloated. (Less carbs, more protein and fat).
    Feel free to friend me, could use the support. You ladies are rocking it!
  • Amymappes55
    Amymappes55 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You can add me . I as well have pcos and hypothyroidism and trying to lise 75 pounds
  • alaskandelight
    alaskandelight Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @PauseCollectReset I did a speedshopping spree over lunch and it cost me big. Healthy veggies and proteins are ridiculous! I am so proud that I didn't break and buy discount easter chocolate. Me passing up chocolate on sale is pretty much like an alcoholic turning down a free round of beer. no kidding. Don't let the rain get you down. The more outdoorsing I do, the more I realize the old Icelandic saying is true: There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing. (of course there are those life/death situations...)but seriously, its kind of invigorating to be one of the few people outside. ;-) I'm making zoodles tonight with a "healthy chicken pad thai" I'll let ya know how that turns out! I'm gonna be experimenting! @Leannep2201 If your using those tofu noodles, I like to reeeeally rinse them and make a marinara or a cream of mushroom sauce to hide and or compliment the flavor. I loooove baking. Making frosting requires a lot of tasting. Order a nice fancy salad with a wedge of lemon instead of dressing and make sure that frosting is perfect. Your mom only turns 60 once and it's all about balance.

Hi @bcirone! glad your jump start is working for you! Sometimes people can manage PCOS by losing weight, diet or birth control. Consider calling and request them to get the lab work prescribed and completed before you go in so you can talk about the results in person. That should save a trip and hopefully $. My sister was diagnosed this year with PCOS and she's had a drastic improvement with her symptoms by going on the same BC as me. She is not what I would consider "over weight," but our genetics are just screwed up I guess. I'm not too familiar with the SouthBeach diet...is there a specific food group your avoiding or focusing on? High fats vs. low carbs vs. raw foods?

My sister is getting married next month and her fiance and my husband are off doing the bachelor party this whole weekend. I bought healthy treats like kombucha and pineapple. Since we're ditched, we plan on doing some wedding crafting and pampering ourselves with some homemade masks and stuff. Sunday we're going for a hike! <3 Have a great Friday, ladies!
  • uclasteph
    uclasteph Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just sent you a friend request!
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hi! I've had PCOS and pre-diabetes and hypothyroidism for over three years now, but only recently, after switching doctors and regimes, things have been improving. I'm doing a very controlled intermittent fasting (16-8) and a low carb, not quite keto diet. Honestly, these 40 days have been a million times better than the last three or even five years. It's been hard to adjust, but I'm getting the hang of it. I'd love to offer support, and get some in return. My diary is open for all, but it is in Spanish, but I'm more than happy to answer questions. :) Best wishes to all, and if you are struggling don't be scared to talk to your doctor or consider changing it. I was too complacent with my previous one and it resulted in three terrible years.
  • 1musicgrl
    1musicgrl Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hey every one. Hope I'm not too late. I just got back on MFP after a long break. I have PCOS and low blood sugar so I get it. I've lost 55 lbs and have 45 left to go. I'm gluten intolerant to, so it makes life interesting. Lol. I have a personal trainer and I work out six days a week, lifting and cardio. The weight has come off very slowly for me. It's a constant fight and I fall down a lot. But I've come a long way. It's hard work but so worth it. I'd love to be friends with any of you on here.
  • PauseCollectReset
    PauseCollectReset Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bcirone wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I just returned to mfp last week and am starting to log again. reading your post, i feel like you are my twin! I noticed on my physical, my pcp wrote suspect PCOS, but didn't discuss it with me. I looked it up and wonder why he didn't add metformin or anything?
    I needed a jumpstart, so I am doing SouthBeach diet, and have to say I can already feel the shift in my energy and feel less bloated. (Less carbs, more protein and fat).
    Feel free to friend me, could use the support. You ladies are rocking it!

He probably didnt perscribe you anythng the same reason my Primary wont, they dont "specialize" in that field.They are like a jack of all trades, master of none. They are there if you scrape your knee or have a cough. But if you have something out of their scope of practice they send you off somewhere else. The only thing my primary careprovider did was once I saw an OBGYN, they referred me to an endocrinologist, who in turn perscribed the medications I need. My primary care provider then took over the medication and perscribes it in her name so she can keep track of everything I'm on. I have yet to try south beach diet. Is it any good?
  • PauseCollectReset
    Options
    You can add me . I as well have pcos and hypothyroidism and trying to lise 75 pounds

I added you!
  • PauseCollectReset
    Options
    @PauseCollectReset I did a speedshopping spree over lunch and it cost me big. Healthy veggies and proteins are ridiculous! I am so proud that I didn't break and buy discount easter chocolate. Me passing up chocolate on sale is pretty much like an alcoholic turning down a free round of beer. no kidding. Don't let the rain get you down. The more outdoorsing I do, the more I realize the old Icelandic saying is true: There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing. (of course there are those life/death situations...)but seriously, its kind of invigorating to be one of the few people outside. ;-) I'm making zoodles tonight with a "healthy chicken pad thai" I'll let ya know how that turns out! I'm gonna be experimenting! @Leannep2201 If your using those tofu noodles, I like to reeeeally rinse them and make a marinara or a cream of mushroom sauce to hide and or compliment the flavor. I loooove baking. Making frosting requires a lot of tasting. Order a nice fancy salad with a wedge of lemon instead of dressing and make sure that frosting is perfect. Your mom only turns 60 once and it's all about balance.

Hi @bcirone! glad your jump start is working for you! Sometimes people can manage PCOS by losing weight, diet or birth control. Consider calling and request them to get the lab work prescribed and completed before you go in so you can talk about the results in person. That should save a trip and hopefully $. My sister was diagnosed this year with PCOS and she's had a drastic improvement with her symptoms by going on the same BC as me. She is not what I would consider "over weight," but our genetics are just screwed up I guess. I'm not too familiar with the SouthBeach diet...is there a specific food group your avoiding or focusing on? High fats vs. low carbs vs. raw foods?

My sister is getting married next month and her fiance and my husband are off doing the bachelor party this whole weekend. I bought healthy treats like kombucha and pineapple. Since we're ditched, we plan on doing some wedding crafting and pampering ourselves with some homemade masks and stuff. Sunday we're going for a hike! <3 Have a great Friday, ladies!

That sounds like an awesome time!! I love going on hikes. I agree , it is all about balance. Im at this point where yes I've gained 141 pounds, but thats been over the course of ten years. I've been maintaining my weight, because I wanted to be careful not to eat out of control like i did before I realized I had PCOS. Although, I have to do something more than maintain. I have to actually manage this thing. Has anyone here tried going gluten free? I heard through the grape vine that women with PCOS actually have tried it and it works well...but Im also wondering if cutting the simple carbs will work just as good and be a whole lot less expensive?
  • PauseCollectReset
    Options
    1musicgrl wrote: »
    Hey every one. Hope I'm not too late. I just got back on MFP after a long break. I have PCOS and low blood sugar so I get it. I've lost 55 lbs and have 45 left to go. I'm gluten intolerant to, so it makes life interesting. Lol. I have a personal trainer and I work out six days a week, lifting and cardio. The weight has come off very slowly for me. It's a constant fight and I fall down a lot. But I've come a long way. It's hard work but so worth it. I'd love to be friends with any of you on here.

Nope this threat just got started! You are never too late to join a support group. Im loving the people that are requesting me , and their own stories of the struggles they are having as well. It makes me feel like i am not alone in this fight. I heard weight lifting helps women with PCOS, do you find that to be true?
  • CassaJay23
    CassaJay23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just got diagnosed in January after having gained weight so easily with no idea why! But now that I know - I've been trying to lose it and I've lost 22 pounds of the 80 I want to lose so far! I'll add you :)
  • sunnyshine1313
    sunnyshine1313 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS, lost 58 and now have to lose 30 of that again. It's definitely a challenge, please feel free to add me, I need some PCOS buddies!
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    @alaskandelight I hear you about the shopping.... I spent waaaaay to much the other day, but I felt good about getting lots of yummy, healthy food. Hopefully you did too! And well done for walking past the chocolate!!! I hope you have a great weekend with your sister... sounds like fun!
    @PauseCollectReset thanks for the advice re the noodles. I was going to try them one day this week, so I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Well, last night happened and it wasn't good. I ordered a pretty healthy main but drank too many calories. Logging it and moving on! Today will be better- having salmon for dinner, which we LOVE, it is high in calories but am making it fit in to my day and have already told hubby that I'm taking him out for a walk this afternoon, so that will help too.

Welcome to the new members! Thanks to those who have friend requested me (I still don't know how to do that lol). It's great to have so many people here so we can all support each other!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    @Kar328 - way to rock it on your journey! What's TRX?

Oops, didn't check back here till today. TRX is training with suspension straps. It was invented by a Navy Seal because it requires little space. Two suspension straps with hand and foot straps/cradles and you use your own body weight to do all kinds of moves. You can modify a lot of it and increase/decrease the difficulty based on where you stand in relation to the anchor point. I take it as a gym class, but you can also buy the straps for home. I'd say google it to get a better idea of what they look like and there are tons of videos out there.

• Stacey3479
    Stacey3479 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Cyster here too! Officially diagnosed about 5 years ago... but I've known for years! Not TTC (I have a teenage son), just trying to lose/feel better. Started MFP around Oct '16, but really started pushing in mid-Jan. Lost a little over 30 lbs, so far... would like to lose 40-60 more. Add me, if you'd like. ☺
  • alaskandelight
    alaskandelight Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @PauseCollectReset I was talking to someone this weekend that was saying that becoming a vegetarian is a solid approach to PCOS treatment because the hormones in animals won't screw with you. I can't do this right now, so I'm trying to go organic as possible with proteins. I also know someone that went gluten free and lost a ton, but it was closely related to her eating "clean" in general. Going low carb will probably achieve the same goal as long as your mindful of the fat calories compensating. Way to go on maintaining. I super suck at it. I either gain (because I'm not focused/mindful) or lose weight (because I'm paying attention to net cal deficits.) I really need to learn that maintenance skill.

I either ate really healthy (pad thai dinner and salmon dinner) or reeeaally bad this weekend (banana split with all the fixings for girls night). No regrets! I completed a 4.6 mile, 1800ft elevation gain hike in 4 hours on Sunday. My buddies and I kept falling through the snow and I'm sure I burned a ton more calories trying to climb out of the snow and keep warm. It was beautiful and insane! I felt like a beast.

@Leannep2201 Skinny Chicken Pad Thai was a success! Here's the recipe! My zoodles cooked waaay down and we (2 people) ended up eating more of the chicken than intended, but I was ok with this since it helped me reach my protein goals for Friday. I poached the 3 chicken breasts (sliced thinly) in .5 cup of water with half an onion and three cloves of garlic. I added three medium zucchinis (spiralized) with another .25 cup of water after the chicken was cooked through. The zuchinni released a lot of water once cooked down. After I added the peanut sauce, I lost patience and added a teaspoon of cornstarch to thicken the sauce rather than wait any longer. I garnished the dish with a ton fresh cilantro, red pepper flakes and lime wedges.

Skinny Peanut Sauce- I basically winged this and it can be adapted to taste. I have substitutes in here, but I starred the necessities. Water could be added to reach your desired viscosity.
    *4 tbs of PBfit of P2B. Probably use just 1tbs if your going with regular nutbutter. The powered pb has way less fat.
    *1 tbs of Brags liquid aminos (or low sodium soy sauce)
    *1 tsp of fish sauce (or Worcestershire sauce)
    *1/2 tsp of sesame oil
    1 tbs garlic chili paste (or siracha)
    *2 tbs of honey
    dash of powdered ginger
    red pepper flakes
    dash of pepper
    dash of white pepper.

Ladies, holla if you have any good recipes or tips for balancing hormones! Keep being the beautiful badasses that you are! <3
  • erinlane93
    erinlane93 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have PCOS!!
  • PauseCollectReset
    Options
    I was vegan for almost a year. And I mean full blown organic RAW vegan. and I lost a good 30 pounds, but the problem was not only the food costs, but the fact that My husband wouldn't go vegan, so it just wasn't sustainable for our household. He did try it, but it just wasn't for him. The other issue I had with going vegan was that no matter how many supplements I took , with PCOS you need to excersice to lose weight, its not possible otherwise, at least from my experience. I couldn't sustain enough calories for energy to workout. I was in a constant deficit, and while I was losing weight , I wasn't doing it healthfully.

BTW, has anyone here made lentil burgers? My husband makes them and they are to DIE for and healthy :) What , if any , special recipies do you guys make that are PCOS friendly?
  • PauseCollectReset
    Options
    @PauseCollectReset I was talking to someone this weekend that was saying that becoming a vegetarian is a solid approach to PCOS treatment because the hormones in animals won't screw with you. I can't do this right now, so I'm trying to go organic as possible with proteins. I also know someone that went gluten free and lost a ton, but it was closely related to her eating "clean" in general. Going low carb will probably achieve the same goal as long as your mindful of the fat calories compensating. Way to go on maintaining. I super suck at it. I either gain (because I'm not focused/mindful) or lose weight (because I'm paying attention to net cal deficits.) I really need to learn that maintenance skill.

I either ate really healthy (pad thai dinner and salmon dinner) or reeeaally bad this weekend (banana split with all the fixings for girls night). No regrets! I completed a 4.6 mile, 1800ft elevation gain hike in 4 hours on Sunday. My buddies and I kept falling through the snow and I'm sure I burned a ton more calories trying to climb out of the snow and keep warm. It was beautiful and insane! I felt like a beast.

@Leannep2201 Skinny Chicken Pad Thai was a success! Here's the recipe! My zoodles cooked waaay down and we (2 people) ended up eating more of the chicken than intended, but I was ok with this since it helped me reach my protein goals for Friday. I poached the 3 chicken breasts (sliced thinly) in .5 cup of water with half an onion and three cloves of garlic. I added three medium zucchinis (spiralized) with another .25 cup of water after the chicken was cooked through. The zuchinni released a lot of water once cooked down. After I added the peanut sauce, I lost patience and added a teaspoon of cornstarch to thicken the sauce rather than wait any longer. I garnished the dish with a ton fresh cilantro, red pepper flakes and lime wedges.

Skinny Peanut Sauce- I basically winged this and it can be adapted to taste. I have substitutes in here, but I starred the necessities. Water could be added to reach your desired viscosity.
    *4 tbs of PBfit of P2B. Probably use just 1tbs if your going with regular nutbutter. The powered pb has way less fat.
    *1 tbs of Brags liquid aminos (or low sodium soy sauce)
    *1 tsp of fish sauce (or Worcestershire sauce)
    *1/2 tsp of sesame oil
    1 tbs garlic chili paste (or siracha)
    *2 tbs of honey
    dash of powdered ginger
    red pepper flakes
    dash of pepper
    dash of white pepper.

Ladies, holla if you have any good recipes or tips for balancing hormones! Keep being the beautiful badasses that you are! <3

LOVE that recipie. I am going to go to the store and get the ingredients for it.