Are people REALLY counting calories here?

Options

Replies

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    If it is very overwhelming, maybe start with tracking one meal. Ease into it a bit.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Try counting calories 30 years ago and you think this is hard? This is easy.

The more you do this, the easier it gets.

Haha! I used to have quite a collection of calorie books. And my little notebook for logging my calories. And no idea how many I was supposed to eat! This is like living in a futuristic science fiction book :)

When I see threads asking about how to get a bigger butt, I can't help but giggle.

Can you imagine someone asking that question back in the 80's :open_mouth: People would have been questioning if they were the full quid lol

Yep! My jaw would drop open!
  • VainMommy
    VainMommy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! In the beginning it is A PAIN AND HARD! I've been at it since September it's easier but I'm losing motivation lately :/
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Op tracking what you eat is easy, slightly more work in the beginning as you need to find everything in the database, but after a while it gets easier and quicker. If sticking to it is hard maybe start at a lower deficit and build on lowering it in steps. Say 200kcal below maintenance once that is easier lower it again, rinse and repeat until you are at the deficit you want to be. In the meantime consider slowly changing what you eat so that creating that deficit also becomes easier. Small sustainable steps for weightloss and eventually maintenance.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Options
    Are people REALLY counting calories here? I just find it crazy hard.

Absolutely! And after the first couple weeks, it's actually quite easy.

• Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Duchy82 wrote: »
    Op tracking what you eat is easy, slightly more work in the beginning as you need to find everything in the database, but after a while it gets easier and quicker. If sticking to it is hard maybe start at a lower deficit and build on lowering it in steps. Say 200kcal below maintenance once that is easier lower it again, rinse and repeat until you are at the deficit you want to be. In the meantime consider slowly changing what you eat so that creating that deficit also becomes easier. Small sustainable steps for weightloss and eventually maintenance.

Omg your posts were AWESOME! Im gonna check out that guide. I think the hardest thing is eating my recommended cals anywhere from 1600-1900 depending on which formula is used. That is soo little, i think i take in 2700-3000 right now maybe not every single day but still.

I do want this tho, and i do see the worth in trying, especially if others are really doing it lol.

I like your suggestion of starting with a higher calorie goal and tightening it from there and slowly switching out foods to make it sustainable.

I also like what someone said, you just do it, no excuses.

Your welcome!

Just remember every little bit lost is a step closer, there is no rush you didn't get overweight overnight and it won't come off overnight.

Also if you have a day where it doesn't go as well, then take it as a day in isolation, don't beat yourself up and try to stick to your plan the next day, life gets in the way sometimes that's just the way it is.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It took a few weeks to get the hang of it, but now it feels second nature to me. I've worked it into meal planning, so it is less if an inconvenience in the moment. Using the food scale is what set me free from the difficulty of weight loss. I could, in a measurable way and with a high degree of certainty, know that my intake was in a deficit, and as a result, I could expect weight loss. That has indeed been the case for me for going on 9 months.