Not losing

Options
I've been hardcore working out for a month now. Burning 600-1000 workout calories a day. The scale has not budged AT ALL. What's going on? I feel like I'm eating decent. Drinking lots of water and doing my workouts. I'm becoming discouraged.

Replies

• gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Focus more on the calories going in then the calories going out.
  • Bran_mob08
    Bran_mob08 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor for track calories burned.
    I log my food and everyday have been at a 500 or more deficit.
    I do weight my food as well.

I wasn't sure if maybe my body is holding onto water or gaining muscle.

I've been doing this for a month and although I've seen inch loss in pictures I haven't seen weight loss at all.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    you haven't gained sizable muscle mass in a month eating at a deficit, I can promise you that!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Can you open up your diary? Also what exercises are you doing that your HRM is giving those high readings?
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating each day? If you're leaving 500 + calories as a deficit, is that including your exercise calories? Are you eating those back?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Bran_mob08 wrote: »
    I use a heart rate monitor for track calories burned.
    I log my food and everyday have been at a 500 or more deficit.
    I do weight my food as well.

I wasn't sure if maybe my body is holding onto water or gaining muscle.

I've been doing this for a month and although I've seen inch loss in pictures I haven't seen weight loss at all.

Are you verifying data base entries? Can you open your food diary? Experienced users might be able to spot something that might be throwing you off.

In regards to your heart rate monitor, what sorts of exercises are you doing when you log from it? They really are only good for steady state cardio, and even then, they tend to slightly over-estimate the burn from it.
  • Bran_mob08
    Bran_mob08 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do yoga (I don't even count those calories burned)

Orange theory which is 60 mins of cardio and strength. I tend to turn around 550 during class

Boxing 3 times a week and burn also around 5-600.

I have only eaten SOME of my exercise calories back.
    I try to eat around 1400-1500 calories

I'll set my diary public.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Your exercise calories are already included in your daily calorie number. Do not eat back your exercise calories
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    queenbea77 wrote: »
    Your exercise calories are already included in your daily calorie number. Do not eat back your exercise calories

This is incorrect if you're using the calorie amount from MFP. MFP uses the NEAT method, and therefore is designed to eat your exercise calories back. They are not included in the base amount.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are a terrible method for estimating calories burned.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    queenbea77 wrote: »
    @queenbea77

Not true - they are specifically excluded on this site.
    Your activity setting covers your daily routine, job, lifestyle etc. only.

I would wither away to nothing if I didn't account for my exercise.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    1. Log Everything before you eat it
    2. Use scale whenever possible
    3. Eat what mfp tells you for calories
    4. Eat back no more then half exercise calories
    5. Water weight can cause fluxes watch trends not data points
    Success will come if you do above
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've been hardcore working out for a month now - feeling sore, fatigued, tired? Possible inflammation and water retention from the new exercise routine.

Burning 600-1000 workout calories a day. Probably not.

I use a heart rate monitor for track calories burned. Can be awful for estimating calories, especially for unsuitable exercise such as interval training or weights.

Orange theory which is 60 mins of cardio and strength. I tend to turn around 550 during class. Very much doubt that. OTF dreadfully exaggerate their claims. Using a HRM to get an estimate would be inappropriate too.

I do yoga (I don't even count those calories burned). Sensible/pragmatic. Not going to be significant.

I have only eaten SOME of my exercise calories back. Sensible in the light of what appear to be high estimates.

The scale has not budged AT ALL. What's going on? Water retention maybe or changes masked by your normal fluctuations - a month isn't long at all. Especially for a woman.

I feel like I'm eating decent. You can eat decent and gain, maintain or lose weight.....

Drinking lots of water. Irrelevant for weight loss.

Doing my workouts. Good, well done you, your fitness and health will be improving and that's what exercise is about. Far less relevant to weight loss than your diet anyway.

I'm becoming discouraged. Please don't be, settle in for the long haul. A month is nothing in terms of the rest of your life.

• daisyduke40
    daisyduke40 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Can somebody please expalin this calorie defecit???