Determining whether you're losing weight, or just junk inside you?

Options
Amount of pooping, and detoxing (water weight) is probably most of the beginning of weight loss right? There's no way I've lost 10 pounds In 4 weeks. I've been "using the restroom" about 2-3 times a day since eating better and I've been putting apple cider vinegar in everything I drink to help with fat burn. Advice please!

Replies

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You are waaaaayyyy overthinking this process.

1) BMs and urination are normal bodily functions that remove waste from your body. When you change your eating habits, certainly this affects your restroom habits.

2) Apple cider vinegar does NOTHING to "help fat burn". Zero. You are wasting your time and money doing that.

3) Most people here report that they lose several pounds the very first week - a faster rate that is usually never repeated. This is mostly water weight, and after this period passes, the scale will usually not change much for the next couple of weeks as the body is losing but the scale already showed that initial drop so it's "catching up" with the loss. If you are obese, your losses will be much higher numbers (if you are successful of course) than people that are not obese.

Stop worrying so much about things and just focus on eating properly and getting some exercise. ;)

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,994 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You wrote in another thread that you are under eating, so that's part of it.

Ten pounds in four weeks is normal for someone who 1. Changes her food choices completely and 2. Starts eating significantly less. 3. Is significantly over weight. Your body really wants to drop the weight - well done.

Apple cider vinegar - nothing wrong with having a little bit once a day (like a tablespoon) but make sure you mix it with a lot of water, it is really hard on your teeth and stomach lining. It has no magical fat burning qualities, that's a gimmick. It's not a medicine, it's a food. I've had stomach ulcers, believe me you don't want to go there. Treat it like any other food and use in moderation. I like to put it on salads with olive oil, or in recipes that call for an acidic ingredient.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar doesn't burn fat, and it will deteriorate the enamel on your teeth, so be careful of how much you're using.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    ACV does make me poop a lot,maybe that's alot of the weight loss you've seen
  • JasmineDiver22
    JasmineDiver22 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    @TeaBea I already eat healthy and count and have a scale.. I eat 1200 calories a day but usually less because I don't get hungry that much anymore, and when I do eat I get full super quick. And thank you guys for telling me about the ACV. It's disgusting anyways!!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    @TeaBea I already eat healthy and count and have a scale.. I eat 1200 calories a day but usually less because I don't get hungry that much anymore, and when I do eat I get full super quick. And thank you guys for telling me about the ACV. It's disgusting anyways!!

What are your stats: (Height, current weight, goal weight, age)?

Generally, eating under 1200 is not safe long term. I am guessing you are eating a lot of high volume, low calorie density foods which is why you are feeling full. This is typical of people just starting out. Try substituting some slightly more calorie dense foods like nuts, peanut butter, red meat instead of chicken or fish, whole eggs instead of egg whites, etc.

Most people go through a 6 week cycle at the beginning of weight loss. First there is a large loss (most of it is water weight) for 2-4 weeks, then a stall or even slight gain for a week or 2 as your body realizes it released too much water and starts to retain it, then you start losing on a fairly steady rate once the body gets the water regulated.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Bm's do not account for the fat loss. I remember reading that fat expells like 86% via carbon dioxide expulsion and the rest via water (so sweat and urination) basically. The first few weeks are water loss, then it stabilizes once you eat at a consistent rate. And like the above posters have said, high volume low cal foods are good, but you need to eat more dense foods as well.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    vismal wrote: »

Anytime someone says they are eating 1200 calories or less because they aren't hungry I question their calorie counting accuracy. Are you weighing your food on a scale or are you using things like cups and spoons (those are meant only for liquids) or worse yet, estimating sizes? How often do you eat out or eat food you did not prepare yourself?

OP is saying she is losing too fast so I don't think this is her issue. On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with reminding newbies of the importance of accuracy in counting calories and how a scale is the best tool to ensure that.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    vismal wrote: »

Anytime someone says they are eating 1200 calories or less because they aren't hungry I question their calorie counting accuracy. Are you weighing your food on a scale or are you using things like cups and spoons (those are meant only for liquids) or worse yet, estimating sizes? How often do you eat out or eat food you did not prepare yourself?

OP is saying she is losing too fast so I don't think this is her issue. On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with reminding newbies of the importance of accuracy in counting calories and how a scale is the best tool to ensure that.
    10 lbs in 4 weeks for someone just starting out isn't really "too fast". When I first started I probably lost 10 lbs in the first 2 weeks. The larger you are the more water you can lose when first beginning.

• JasmineDiver22
    Options
    OKAY EVERYONE. I eat ONLY fruits veggies lean meats and tree based foods and every other day I eat carbs less than 100mg. I do not eat out. I count calories. I ordered a food scale and it's on it's way. I get full by eating those foods and by the end of the day I still have calories left because I don't feel like eating. I hope this helps everyone with their assumptions. I'm 5'2. My current weight is 268lbs. My goal weight is 200 (Until I want to start toning my body) And I'm 23.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    OKAY EVERYONE. I eat ONLY fruits veggies lean meats and tree based foods and every other day I eat carbs less than 100mg. I do not eat out. I count calories. I ordered a food scale and it's on it's way. I get full by eating those foods and by the end of the day I still have calories left because I don't feel like eating. I hope this helps everyone with their assumptions. I'm 5'2. My current weight is 268lbs. My goal weight is 200 (Until I want to start toning my body) And I'm 23.

With those stats, you should be eating more. I am at 261, 5'7" and consider myself sedentary. I am currently eating 1760 calories and averaging 1.5 lb loss a week.

It looks like you are going for the high volume, low calorie density foods. As I suggested previously, look into adding some nutritious, calorie dense foods to raise your calories without compromising nutrition or making you feel too full.

This is a process and you are at the beginning. You will learn what works for you and what doesn't. I am glad to hear you ordered a food scale. It is an indispensable tool to learn portion control (like the example shown above). Also, be willing to tweak things as you go. Some feel more satisfied on lots of protein, other do better with higher carbs. There is no One Way to lose weight, except to eat less than you burn. Don't feel like you have to be perfect right out of the gate. This is why it is a good idea to start out on the higher end of your calorie range rather than the low end. Burn out is common in those who eat too little.

Short term, you are not doing yourself any harm by eating too little, but it is unsustainable and unhealthy to do it long term.

Good luck. You are on the right track, just learn and tweak as you go.
  • JasmineDiver22
    Options
    @earlnabby yeah I totally get that. I was thinking that too as far as my calories being low. I should go up to 1400 or maybe 1500 but I'm scared I'll gain doing that. But if I ever plateau I could lower my calories back to 1300-1200 to see if that makes a change. Right?
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I am the same height as you and 2 years younger. I am sedentary. I MAINTAIN my weight of 135lbs on 1600 calories per day.

Your are netting under 1200 some days and this is undereating, beside aiming for 1200 is probably way too low for someone with your stats.

Why do you cut carbs to only every other day?
  • earlnabby
    Options
    @earlnabby yeah I totally get that. I was thinking that too as far as my calories being low. I should go up to 1400 or maybe 1500 but I'm scared I'll gain doing that. But if I ever plateau I could lower my calories back to 1300-1200 to see if that makes a change. Right?

Start out on the high end and wait until you are 4-6 weeks in to decide if you need to tweak. If you are weighing, measuring, and logging correctly there is no way you will gain weight on 1500 calories. I am your same weight and I am losing 1.5 lb per week (averaged out) on almost 1800 calories.

Stalls happen. I tend to get one about every 20 lb lost. They last for about 2-3 weeks. These are NOT plateaus and there is no need to drop down the calorie target. MFP is set up to maintain a steady weigh loss if you use it as intended. Enter your stats and eat what it tells you. As you gradually lose, the calorie target will lower for you. When you get closer to goal, it is recommended that you lower your weight loss target to 1 or even 1/2 lb a week.
  • JasmineDiver22
    Options
    So ok, what's the worst that can happen if I don't eat all my calories for the day. I didn't think it was a big deal lol. Honestly I figured as long as I eat healthy it should be fine.
  • earlnabby
    edited April 2017
    Options
    So ok, what's the worst that can happen if I don't eat all my calories for the day. I didn't think it was a big deal lol. Honestly I figured as long as I eat healthy it should be fine.

Loss of lean muscle, bad skin, hair loss, loss of menses, more danger of bingeing, decreased immunity to diseases, anemia, thyroid issues, etc. All except the increased possibility of binge eating are long term consequences.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

At your weight, I can promise you that eating at 1500 calories is not going to make you gain. You didn't get to that weight eating 1500 calories a day, so you'll be fine at that number. You can always make adjustments - you have to do what works for YOU.