Ketogenic weight loss challenge

Options
TaraBlaisDavison2017
TaraBlaisDavison2017 Posts: 2 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm going to spend the next 12 weeks on a Ketogenic diet. This means I will be eating a High Fat, Low Carbohydrates ( HFLC) diet consistenting of mainly whole foods. I would love some help, support and commraderie along the way. There will probably be a little bit of commiseration and comedy thrown in as I haven't dieted in over a decade and I'm not looking forward to the potential negative side effects. Has any one out there done anything similar?

Replies

• TaraBlaisDavison2017
    Options
    Great, welcome! I hope we can help each other
  • Getmehealthy101
    Getmehealthy101 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I will also like to join, restarting my keto weight loss journey
  • smicksseller
    smicksseller Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm starting first ever Keto diet Monday. I plan to mainly focus on very low carb and high protein and when fats, healthy fats.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    There is a group for lo carb that is pretty active.
  • mcs10282017
    mcs10282017 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would like to join this group but I'm vegan. Does a group exist for that? Specifically one with delicious recipes that don't have me cooking tofu every other day lol
  • carleen01
    carleen01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm also on the Keto diet. Love it as well! Feel free to add me as a friend !
  • emybear777
    emybear777 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! Good luck to everyone! I've been doing keto for almost 3 weeks and lost 11 lbs! I'm loving it! The first few days were rough, not gonna lie but I love it now and have so much energy! Looking for a support group on here but new to my fitness pal and no idea where to look!? Anyone know of any groups?
  • jetherrart
    jetherrart Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am on what I call a very modified keto diet for health reasons. I call it modified because I am lactose intolerant. I can eat a small portion of cheese and the harder the cheese the better and can't eat too much fat. I had my gall bladder removed so fat is my fiber. There can easily be too much of a good thing. My diet is very strict and limited, but I have lost 65 lbs since Dec under my doctors supervision.
  • teresabreeding
    teresabreeding Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been on low carb since January and have lost 18 pounds. It's a great diet. I stay under 20 carbs a day and have found the foods that I like and can eat. The first couple of weeks can be rough but once you push through, it gets easier. So much so that I believe that I could eat this way for life.
  • Mandafaye80lbs
    Mandafaye80lbs Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Keto for 6 weeks and I love it . I did get the keto flu and the rash but if it happens just push through it. It will be totally worth it . I feel 100 times better than before and I don't feel hungry anymore which is amazing !! I've lost 26lbs so far if I can do this way of eating and stick to it I know so many others can as well. Good luck on your journey
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My advice is to increase your electrolytes when you start. The "low-carb flu" is actually an electrolyte imbablnce - you lose a lot of sodium with water in the first week. You'll need 3000-5000 mg of sodium (or more) per day to avoid low electrolytes symptoms like fatigue, headaches, stomach and BM issues, muscles aches and spasms. There is 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of table salt. Some also supplement magnesium and potassium too.

Try the Low Carber Daily MFP group for more support. Some are just starting and others have been doing it a few years. Some are keto and others are just LCHF, and some are vegan while others are carnivores. Lots of variety and experience.
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The Low Carber group can be found here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Keto certainly isn't a good fit for everyone, but a lot of people thrive on it. I think it's worth trying out for a month to see if you like it.
  • imjustpeachiekeen
    imjustpeachiekeen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just started Keto for the first time on Thursday! I would love to be a part of this to help hold me accountable and learn from eachother!!! Thanks!
  • christykae82
    christykae82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Please add me! I've been doing keto for 13 days and I'm down over 9 pounds. Feel great. My husband had done it since Jan 1st and has lost almost 40.
  • kschorns
    kschorns Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of doing it with my husband-is it really hard??
  • cathsjourney
    cathsjourney Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started keto last Wednesday and I am looking for some friends here for a support. If you want pls add me to your list
  • tayusuki
    tayusuki Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I really stress the electrolyte thing!! It can really be a lifestyle change, but people quit and don't feel good because of low electrolyte. Seriously guys, salt is your friend. You'll need to consume more than you would usually -- likely a good deal more.

But the WOE isn't hard at all ^^
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I didnt go heavy fat. I focused more on protein. Its def important to keep the carbs low. I felt awful doing it though. I ran it for about 2 months.

My 2c is just eat super clean for 2 weeks. You'll see better results.

You probably felt terrible because protein is a crappy source for energy. Typically when cutting carbs, you want higher fat for energy. Its actually quite common with many bodybuilders following old brotein diets.

Op, good luck. As already stated, eat a lot of sodium. If you have any cramping look into increasing magnesium and potassium or even supplement.

The one negative, for why i dont do it, is i am a volume eater and keto does not allow for high volume.