Struggling to plan meals.

Options
I know this is why I fall off track after a week or two. I either grow tired of the same food or I end up devouring most of the groceries I just bought for the next few weeks. What is the secret to planning and preparing meals for the week?

I don't know if I don't cook a large enough variety or if I just need to prepare my meals multiple times a week to keep them fresher.

Thanks for any help.

Replies

• DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Start with foods you like best and go from there. If you get bored with eating the same thing day after day, there's no need to prep a big batch of the same meal. If you like chicken (for instance), you can cook a bunch on the weekend and use it in different ways through out the week.
    A lot of prep work is just washing, chopping, and portioning out ingredients. What works for me is to make the same breakfast and lunch for every day of the week (I don't mind the same meals) and pre-chop all of my vegetables for dinner. When I buy proteins, I separate them into individual portions and then grab one out of the freezer into the fridge in the am. For dinner, I can just take the protein and whatever veg I'm in the mood for and cook them very quickly. I oftem make a batch of a grain like rice or freekeh to have on hand as well or I make several baked potatoes or sweet potatoes to use over the week. So, it's very mix and match.
    Base your meal plan around things that you enjoy and it will be much easier. If you're having trouble eating your groceries too soon, try portioning them out as soon as you get home from the store (snacks too). I plan everything, and I eat 2 breakfasts, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, and after dinner treats.
    It also gets easier with practice. You can get a lot of inspiration on places like Pinterest for meal planning.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Meal planning is not the same as preparing meals for a whole week. It is just knowing what you are going to have.
    Meal prepping is preparing some or all of your meal for several days all at once.

I meal plan dinners but don't advance meal prep so much. I have low prep to no prep breakfast, lunches and snacks.
    Breakfast is something easy like yogurt, cottage cheese, fruit, sandwich, dinner leftovers, or cereal.
    Lunch is sandwich, salad or dinner leftovers.
    Dinner is where I plan and cook. I plan out 28 different meals and divide the list into 4 groups of 7. I shop for one week at a time. I often have decided a theme for each day of the week like meatless, Chinese food, or soup and just have to think of 4 things that fit each category. I put up my meal list in my kitchen and cross meals off my list as I have them.
    Snacks are kind of the same things all the time.

Hope that gave you some ideas.
  • cassique
    cassique Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I think this is the hardest part for most of us. And i think personal lifestyle will be the biggest deciding factor for what will work for you. I also know that my lifestyle needs change often--based on season or holidays or work schedule. One size fits all approach usually leads to losing motivation at some point.

What i found most successful in almost all of the self improvement areas of my life is to start small. Identify the areas that will be a challenge and figure out small tweaks i can do to get me a little bit closer. All or nothing works well for the short term when you have the stamina and excitement of starting something new, but the second life's balance shifts a bit--and it will--you are left with nothing.

I try to build in small habits into my established routine rather than trying to change my entire lifestyle all at once. Maybe you can brainstorm what your typical pre-weightless routine consisted of and we can help you tweak? For me--I usually start just by tracking everything without changing. Even just the accountability usually leads to some weight loss. Then I look at the data I collected and see where I can make changes. At my most motivated I can weigh measure plan and live my ideal plan, but when I am at my least motivated I can make sure I have some easy no brainr meals on hand (Things that discovered from my data that keep me satiated with little effort or calories like hard boiled eggs ready to go or a can of tuna) and give myself a break if I made some less than ideal choices. Aiming for good enough is a better goal for me than aiming for perfect if I want to stay on track.

I had a lot of success with this in the past, but now I'm back with a lifestyle that is quite different than what I was dealing with 2 years ago so I need a different approach. Definitely no one sized fits all solution.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    jlguiher3 wrote: »
    I know this is why I fall off track after a week or two. I either grow tired of the same food or I end up devouring most of the groceries I just bought for the next few weeks. What is the secret to planning and preparing meals for the week?

I don't know if I don't cook a large enough variety or if I just need to prepare my meals multiple times a week to keep them fresher.

Thanks for any help.

Building self-awareness is a struggle for each of us at the beginning. If you are binge eating, it sounds like your goal may be to aggressive and/or you are eating foods that don't give you satiety.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I don't really plan meals, I just eat whatever I've got in my fridge or cupboard that fits in my calories for the day. If that means I have a pork chop for breakfast or eggs for dinner, then there it is.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I don't plan meals for weeks. I only plan for today or tomorrow really. I do go to the grocery store a lot but it works for my lifestyle (since I can walk there and get some steps in). I will buy two chicken thighs and some veggies and eat that for two days and then back to the store and buy salmon and salad stuff so I eat that for two days. The only time I plan really is if I'm going to brunch or dinner out.

But also, I think anyone can pretty much fit whatever foods they want into every day life. I don't subscribe to the 'meal plan' thing because by Thursday I don't want to eat what I had on Monday.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I meal plan by buying ingredients for 3-4 meals that serve 4 people (single person). I cook about 3 times a week, make meals with similar ingredients to save money, and eat the same food for about 2 days versus 7. The only consistent meal is my breakfast, but that's more for convenience.
  • LMM217
    LMM217 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My husband and I grocery shop on Sundays. Before we go, we plan our dinners for the week. Some meals we frequently eat include BBQ chicken, salmon and sweet potatoes, shrimp stir fry, spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles with some kind of protein, turkey burgers, and steak with asparagus. We write the meals on our kitchen chalk board, and whoever gets home first starts cooking. I also prep all my lunches for the week on Sunday. I've been doing the same lunch routine for about a month now, and haven't gotten tired of it yet. M/W/F I have chicken and brown rice with sautéed mushrooms, onions, and bell peppers. T/Th I have a grilled chicken salad with sesame ginger dressing and half a baked sweet potato. My snacks include edamame, almonds, and protein shakes. This has worked well for me so far, and I've found that I actually enjoy meal prepping. It allows me to log all my food in advance. I hope you find a system that works for you :)
  • jlguiher3
    jlguiher3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the tips. Listening to everyone and looking at the meals I was eating, I have found some issues with my meals. I had a few meals that did not keep me full for the day that needed revised and I need to just think short term and not the whole month when buying groceries.