Ladies- weight gain during that time of the month

Options
Hey girls!
So today I stepped on the scale and to my complete shock it said i GAINED nearly 5 pounds! I am always at a calorie deficit so I had no idea how this was possible. I was flipping out. I asked some friends and they all said the same thing.. That it was because I just started my time of the month.

Have any of you ladies ever experienced this before, or is it just me and that I am somehow doing something wrong?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Every month 11 days before when I'm ovulating.
    It's just how our bodies work.
  • cordney
    cordney Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    There are many threads about this. Yes it's very common. I also hold onto water during ovulation.
  • achampa23
    achampa23 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Same! I about had a heart attack when I got on the scale earlier this week, but then I remembered that I was on my period
  • phoenixx866
    phoenixx866 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yup. I usually gain about 3-4 lbs.
  • JamieWW
    JamieWW Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yep! I'll usually realize my pants are suddenly way tighter, and my period starts by the next day. Then back to normal a few days later. It's usually a 3-5 pound difference for me.
  • labblb86
    labblb86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I can gain from 3 - 5 pounds during that time. During ovulation I have a slight gain too. It's temporary, but I know what you mean about seeing that number go up, esp when eating on plan!
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I gain about 7 pounds during the two weeks before my period. The water retention is real.

(On the other hand, seeing it all come off again in a few days after my period is very satisfying!)
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Yep - anywhere from 2-7lbs generally.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Your friends are right. As are all the women above.

Four pounds for me.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    If I have nutrition and exercise on point I may maintain a few days before my period until halfway thru. But sometimes I gain upwards of 7 pounds. Completely normal!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Yep! Normal. Stay in your deficit and it will disappear, maybe not quite overnight but over the next week most likely.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I don't notice anything out of the ordinary during ovulation or my period... I'm lucky I guess!
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    This week was my ovulation week. I can usually tell the exact day it happens. I have symptoms for the entire week. I gained 2.5lbs within 48 hours earlier this week. I got on the scale this morning and I have dropped the 2.5lbs. My gain was from water retention due to hormonal changes. I was thirsty more than usual and I ate more sodium above my recommended intake. I've been peeing so much lately but I'm still bloated. So my body is now getting rid of the excess water. In a week and a half it's TOM. I'll probably gain water weight as well and then drop especially with my strong cravings for salty and sweet food. I'm confident it's just hormonal changes because I log 97% of everything I eat everyday. I'm always in a deficit of around 500 calories or more daily. I walk 17,000 steps average per day.
  • lorettaclaire
    lorettaclaire Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If i eat salty foods during my TOM and Ovulation I will gain. If i avoid them I stay the same and instantly drop weight once it is over. I try to be very strict during my TOM and during ovulation.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I gain 5-10lb every month then lose it over the course of the next 2 weeks, usually with an extra 1-2lb loss. That extra 1-2lb is my progress for that cycle. It is my normal lately.