Miserable and can't stop eating

I need to lose a stone but I just can't stop eating. It's the usual story. Comforting myself with food when bored, stressed, anxious etc. After two years I've put on a stone and on my 5ft frame. It definitely shows. I should be 8st but I'm 9st. I've tried (what feels like everything) calorie counting, intermittent fasting, high protein etc. But I end up 'treating myself' or giving in to a need to comfort myself with food because I feel deprived or whatever other excuse I've told myself. I don't know what I'm asking. I just feel so fed up at my own failure. Im appalled that I can't stop shovling food in. I don't know what to do.

Replies

• Ck103084
    Ck103084 Posts: 139 Member
    Emotional eating is the hardest to conquer. I'm the same way. When I'm stressed or angry or upset, I go right for food. :( I haven't figured out how to beat it yet but I'm having a good couple of weeks so... :# Maybe see if your health insurance covers a therapist?
  • shazland
    shazland Posts: 63 Member
    Sharl00781 wrote: »
    I need to lose a stone but I just can't stop eating. It's the usual story. Comforting myself with food when bored, stressed, anxious etc. After two years I've put on a stone and on my 5ft frame. It definitely shows. I should be 8st but I'm 9st. I've tried (what feels like everything) calorie counting, intermittent fasting, high protein etc. But I end up 'treating myself' or giving in to a need to comfort myself with food because I feel deprived or whatever other excuse I've told myself. I don't know what I'm asking. I just feel so fed up at my own failure. Im appalled that I can't stop shovling food in. I don't know what to do.

Hi Sharl00781. I hardly ever reply to posts on here but yours really struck a nerve with me! I'm in exactly the same boat as you, but you know what, I'm over 8 lbs heavier than you and a tiny 5ft tall, and I definitely comfort eat. It's so hard to keep the weight off when you're short and it definitely shows more when you put on a few pounds. Should you really be 8st? Your weight changes as you get older and when you have kids etc, our bodies change. My happy weight is actually 9st (was 8st 7 when I was younger), so please don't be too hard on yourself. You're just not in the right mind set at the moment to diet, but you will get there (no need to run off to the doc's just yet for the Prozac) as some might suggest you need to. Do you take regular excercise? It really helps to boost your mood and rev up the metabolism a bit. That's what I'm trying to do at the moment.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the super kind words and guidance. The advice from middlehaitch and kommodevaran really help. And actually cutting 250cals seems doable. I just feel out of control and then I behave for a few days or even a week and then for some reason self sabotage. I even know I'm doing it but it sort of feels like I'm weirdly punishing myself. Weirdo.

Shazland be my friend! Im aware I'm not the only one in this situation but it definitely feels like I'm the only one incapable of managing my feelings. I have started just going on the treadmill for twenty mins just to clear my head and give me an endorphin rush. Goal is to run a mile.

First wanted to say I agree with everything already said and glad to see you taking it to heart.

Emotional and boredom eating can be very difficult for many people. It helps alot to fogure out your triggers and find a way to divert that to something else as you are with the treadmill. That is an excellent strategy.

In case your in a pickle for time, for quicker fixes some people find aromatherapy, meditation, or keeping peaceful/happy pictures on hand can help them snap out of a brief funk. Hope your able to sort it all out soon and go see a professional for help if you ever feel you need to.

~best wishes
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Even cutting 100 calories a day will do something. Slow progress but it is better to get to the finish line later than not get there at all.

I've also found that talking to someone about it really helped with my stress levels. And music. Putting on headphones and listening to music by myself is my meditation.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the super kind words and guidance. The advice from middlehaitch and kommodevaran really help. And actually cutting 250cals seems doable. I just feel out of control and then I behave for a few days or even a week and then for some reason self sabotage. I even know I'm doing it but it sort of feels like I'm weirdly punishing myself. Weirdo.

Shazland be my friend! Im aware I'm not the only one in this situation but it definitely feels like I'm the only one incapable of managing my feelings. I have started just going on the treadmill for twenty mins just to clear my head and give me an endorphin rush. Goal is to run a mile.

I just wanted to say that 1- it's great that you take this as support and help! And 2 - there isn't just "some reason" that you "self sabotage" - it's perfectly normal to rebel against restriction, even if it's self imposed as when dieting. If you start out wanting to lose weight as a form of punishment for "letting yourself go" or whatever, you'll look out for reasons to stop that. You need a plan that feels good from day to day. You may have to challenge yourself, you will have to say "no" to yourself, but not all the time. Whatever you can do, doesn't matter if you can't do it for more than a few months. If you think of your daily routine - eating, sleeping, working, moving - as you behave - you will want to give up. People who have had success have a plan they can stick to, not only when everything is cool, but a plan that helps them through times that are tough. You're in this for life. So make a plan that is sustainable for life. Stop eating to pass time and quell emotions. Stop exercising to "burn calories" or "make up for" eating. Just eat and move in a way you find enjoyable.
  • jessleon1984
    jessleon1984 Posts: 50 Member
    I find fitting treats into my calls has helped me from emotional eating I eat whatever I want just not to much x
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Is it the food that is comforting or the act of eating that is comforting?
  • Pinkcustard
    Pinkcustard Posts: 11 Member
    In the past, what's made me end up overeating is when I am too restrictive, and it backfires big time. I've been following a sensible, healthy eating plan and because I'm eating enough during the day, I no longer feel the urge to overeat in the evening because I'm feeling satisfied and not as though I'm depriving myself at all. Perhaps take a close look at what you're eating and make sure you're actually eating enough good stuff to stop you feeling too hungry..?
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited April 2017

I have OCD, ADHD, and Social Anxiety....so I understand how hard it can be to break habits. But I quit smoking 7 years ago and never smoked again, cold turkey. And when I started counting calories, working out, and cutting out alcohol all at the same time, it was hard. Basically a total life change.

But you have to really believe and tell yourself "That part of my life is over. Done. You're done." And hold yourself to it. If you're binge-eating, that has to be done.

For me...I like to reward myself for ending behaviors or habits with things that are totally unrelated to the original problem (meaning if you have a food issue, don't reward yourself with food because you're reinforcing the belief that food is a reward/comfort/treat).

Reward yourself with a new outfit or earrings. Or movie date. Or new pajamas or bedsheets. Or even gaming or FB time. Whatever your "thing" is that you like to have/do/buy other than food...reward reaching goals and maintaining discipline with those things as much as possible, instead.

But remember that following a new diet or workout is already an achievement many have failed. Caring so much is a good start and you can't be too hard on yourself. Forget what you've been doing up until right now. It's done. That guilt is useless and harmful to your goals. You're not that person anymore. Now start again and create the new you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    In the past, what's made me end up overeating is when I am too restrictive, and it backfires big time. I've been following a sensible, healthy eating plan and because I'm eating enough during the day, I no longer feel the urge to overeat in the evening because I'm feeling satisfied and not as though I'm depriving myself at all. Perhaps take a close look at what you're eating and make sure you're actually eating enough good stuff to stop you feeling too hungry..?

@Sharl00781 I was wondering if you were being over-restrictive and it was backfiring on you like what used to happen with the poster I quoted. With a stone (14 pounds) to lose, do aim for just a half pound per week loss.

Also, a regular exercise program does wonders for my mood and disinclines me towards emotional eating.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    It sounds like you need to find other ways to 'comfort' yourself. Since I started The New Regime (I've lost eight stone, so it deserves the capital letters!) I've found that my go-to comfort has changed to scents; nice perfumes, scented candles. There are lots of ways to indulge yourself, you just have to get out of the unhealthy mindset of food-as-guilty-treat.