Lifting weights

Options
smrhjrc67
smrhjrc67 Posts: 2 Member
How do you guys calculate burned calories by lifting weights?

Replies

• PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I don't lol. I heard you only burn about 200 calories when lifting, however, I think you can continue burning calories for up to 24-48 hours after your lifting session.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I don't even bother. I just go by TDEE based on rate of loss vs calories eaten and adjust my calorie budget as needed. Running and hiking, on the other hand, are relatively easy to estimate.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM. It may not be accurate when calcing the actual burn (from what others say) but seems close enough for me. With only 1300 Cal's a day (female and 5'1) I want to count EVERY.SINGLE.ONE I can.

If the HRM says it, I record it. BC, at this point in my journey, I refuse to be hungry and love to eat! Lifting makes my appetite vary between eating anything not nailed down to having a few Cal's left over before exercise cals.

I've done this successfully for a year. I lost my last 25 lbs doing it and have maintained for the last 6 months on purpose. Not planning to change a thing about recording at the moment. May cut Cal's for bikini season but that is very debatable...

I did dabble in 5:2 early last year, but couldn't sustain it after implementing lifting. I may not lift like a beast but I dang sure eat like one. 200-300 extra Cal's a day..Man that's over half a carton of birthday cake Halo Top.. Yummy!!

The above is my experience. YMMV
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I don't lol. I heard you only burn about 200 calories when lifting, however, I think you can continue burning calories for up to 24-48 hours after your lifting session.

this after burn effect is known as excess post-exercise oxygen consumption, but calculating into measurable amounts of calories burned through any types of exercise anaerobic or aerobic cannot be done.

OP, There is no accurate way to calculate calories burned for strength training. You can try and use 1-5 calories a minute for 60-300 calories per hour, the intensity of your exercise will vary.

If you plan to eat back these calories, use some trial and error over a period time, against your weight loss results (how fast or slow you are losing) to determine if you are eating back too many or not enough.

eta this is an old blog but the concepts in this information are still relative to HRM's and calculating calories burned for strength training.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/hrms-cannot-count-calories-during-strength-training-17698
  • mike_vm78
    mike_vm78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use my Fitbit it seems to be fairly accurate based on my heart rate spikes and I hit the weights pretty intense I only rest 30 secs between sets. I burn between 80-300 calories depending on the time and intensity based on heart rate. I then use my weight loss and or visable mass gain to really judge, and it's been pretty accurate.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    Options
    mike_vm78 wrote: »
    I use my Fitbit it seems to be fairly accurate based on my heart rate spikes and I hit the weights pretty intense I only rest 30 secs between sets. I burn between 80-300 calories depending on the time and intensity based on heart rate. I then use my weight loss and or visable mass gain to really judge, and it's been pretty accurate.

Fitbit and heart rate monitors are not accurate at all for weight lifting.