Giving up Starbucks

Options
Hi!
Any tips on giving up Starbucks, mochas,
Lattes etc? I don't mind coffee brewed at home, but it has become so much a part of my daily routine. I'm a teacher and I really crave that coffee by my side, on my desk. It's almost my motivation or a treat if you will. I definitely feel that it sabotaging any weight-loss goals that I have. I've not had it in a week now! But, this has been my spring break so let's see if I can continue this once we are back in session. Thanks!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You could get coffee with their sugar free syrups.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Switch to black, or a version with less milk, or low fat milk. I just stopped mochas dead, the sugar in the chocolate was pushing the calories too high. Other than that, focus on the money - cafe coffee is expensive, and even one a day adds up - save your coffee money and treat yourself to something fun instead.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    People spend an amazing amount of $$ at Starbucks and consume so many calories...I see it every day from behind the counter! There are lots of ways to make your drink lower calorie but of course it won't taste as delicous...especially if you love the calorie bombs of white mocha or caramel sauce...no good substitution for either of those!

BUT...if you want to try something totally different and keep going for the experience, here are a couple calorie free and lighter wallet suggestions:

Any of the iced teas shaken with Splenda instead of the liquid cane sugar...skip the lemonade
    Espresso shots over ice with sugar free vanilla....splurge on a splash of half and half...worth the calories!

If you like hot drinks....go for some of the hot teas, or a plain old cappuccino or latte with 2% or nonfat...those are delicious and not the calorie bombs of some of the other drinks. Try a tall drink or even a short one if you live somewhere that has those (most of the US).....enough for a treat but not a day killer calorie wise.

I tend to drink coffee at home, and when I do have a beverage at work, I enjoy a couple of shots of espresso with an inch of hot water, some sugar free vanilla or cinnamon dolce and a splash of cream...just a few calories delicious!
  • mrsoshea
    mrsoshea Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! The shots of espresso over ice with the sugar free vanilla sounds pretty good.
    My weakness is the grande non fat mocha every morning and sometimes the nonfat with caramel sauce-awful. And yes..that sure does add up. But then for teacher gifts I end up getting Starbucks gift cards! There is a Starbucks within walking distance of where I work. I started walking on my brakes deciding that if I were to get a mocha I would walk to get there during my 30 min lunch! But I think I'm consuming so much milk that that is what is hurting me the most!
  • mrsoshea
    Options
    Oh and I've quit mochas cold turkey!!! I'm drinking coffee black now. It's not the same. Sometimes I'm splashing a little bit of unsweetened almond milk. I just don't know how I'll be able to do this when I'm looking a classroom full of 20+ children and a black coffee with splash of almond milk. Lol
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My husband bought me a ninja coffee maker for Christmas and I can make my own lattes with Jordan's sugar free syrups. Delicious. Doesn't have that sugar free after taste. Saving lots of $$$
  • ParanormaLauren
    ParanormaLauren Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I switched to iced americanos which is only 10 calories. I have it black and it tends to pair nicely with just about any of the breakfasts I have. It was too hard to change up my routine after going to Starbucks every day for so long. This was a good compromise. I also like the iced teas, no sweeteners in the afternoon if I'm craving something cold.
  • mrsoshea
    Options
    I will have to try the iced Americano
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Figure out what about your Starbucks treat makes it a treat - is it the sweetness? the caffeine hit? Having someone else listen to you and give you what you asked for? If it's the former two, you can make similar tasty drinks for fewer calories and less cash.

However, if it's the latter, there's nothing wrong with that, either. As a fellow teacher, I can definitely empathize with how DELIGHTFUL it is to tell someone what you want them to do and not have to repeat/rephrase/redirect/remind - they just DO it!

What grade level do you teach?
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    mrsoshea wrote: »
    I will have to try the iced Americano

My husband drinks one of these every morning. It is bitter and strong. But he only drinks black coffee anyways. It takes a while to get used to it but I can drink now if I want.
  • Deadlifting_Away_Doritos
    Options
    Starbucks is a nice treat but spending that much money on a consistent basis for that much sugar is not something I want. I like good coffee for sure but I just add a little milk or cream.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    mrsoshea wrote: »
    Thank you!!! The shots of espresso over ice with the sugar free vanilla sounds pretty good.
    My weakness is the grande non fat mocha every morning and sometimes the nonfat with caramel sauce-awful. And yes..that sure does add up. But then for teacher gifts I end up getting Starbucks gift cards! There is a Starbucks within walking distance of where I work. I started walking on my brakes deciding that if I were to get a mocha I would walk to get there during my 30 min lunch! But I think I'm consuming so much milk that that is what is hurting me the most!

Awful in what way?

Milk itself is fine, its your overall calories for the day/week that you need to look at.
  • Jeannie3099
    Jeannie3099 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you have the $$ and value your little group of buddies like I do at my Utah Starbucks, (due to the Mormon influence they are very few here), then go to low fat and cut the whip cream.
    Nothing like denying oneself this little oasis of yummy stuff to set you up for DEFEAT. Don't give it up. Make adjustments!! I've lost 61 pounds and I should know!
  • Suuzanne37
    Suuzanne37 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy it, and consider it a treat; try cutting back to 1 to 3 times a week. In addition, calories are posted for their beverages; try the skinny alternatives or the lower calorie,cappuccino, Americano etc.; low fat milk vs. full fat milk.
  • YogaBookLady37
    YogaBookLady37 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a sugar free vanilla sweet cream cold brew or an iced coffee with almond milk and sugar free hazelnut syrup a couple times a week. I enjoy it and it keeps me from feeling deprived!
  • jahnsmary44
    jahnsmary44 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a barista at Starbucks and understand your love of the Mocha?..... It's so much more than the money spent if we do our job right! But have you ever considered getting a tall? Or cutting back on the pumps of Mocha? I cut back to black brewed coffee myself and still find myself splurging some days. If you like iced coffee try the new coconut cold brew... the grande is 50 calories
  • strshllw84
    strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I am a Starbucks addict. I use to go at least twice a week and everyone knew my coffee order before I got to the counter for the longest time. I
    And the calories in those things are crazy. Buuut i have recently started making protien shakes at home with these coffee shots I found at the grocery store. The caffiene gives me a kick in the pants and the protien goes toward my protein goal for the day and it's at least half if not more than half of the calories in a Starbucks drink!
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a barista at Starbucks and understand your love of the Mocha?..... It's so much more than the money spent if we do our job right! But have you ever considered getting a tall? Or cutting back on the pumps of Mocha? I cut back to black brewed coffee myself and still find myself splurging some days. If you like iced coffee try the new coconut cold brew... the grande is 50 calories

THANK YOU! I love coconut and iced coffee and I saw the coconut cold brew the other day and wanted to get it but wasn't sure of the calories and didn't have time to check.

I too am a lover of the handcrafted Starbucks mocha. I now make a "protein latte" at home each morning and it really hits the spot for me. I get the mocha taste and some good fat and protein. Just give 1 cup of coffee, 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1 tsp coconut oil, and an ounce or 2 of your preferred milk (I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk) a whir in a blender or ninja/bullet. You get that great foamy top and it keeps me full for a while after my morning workouts. Comes in around 110-130 calories depending on your protein powder and milk choice but can take the place of a snack or even breakfast if I pair it with some berries.

Now that spring is here I have made a few iced coffees with 1 TB hazelnut syrup and 2 TB half & half with a cup of cold coffee. They come in at 80 calories but you can reduce that by using a lower calorie milk replacement and/or SF syrup.
  • jahnsmary44
    jahnsmary44 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    We baristas understand if you just come visit for Black coffee 2! I know 70% of my customers and really enjoy sharing the morning with them. Funny we share so much with our customers that they are many times more like family! It's part of the addiction