feeling so hungry I feel sick

Options
Hello everyone.
I usually have porridge oats and almond milk around 7:30am for breakfast but by 10:30 am I feel so hungry I actually feel sick.
I can have a banana or some fruit, but the feeling doesn't go.
I can sometimes stick it out until lunch, in which I normally have a salad or a brown sandwich thin and ham/chicken and a boiled egg, but then after that its like the floodgates are open and I start picking/wanting anything and everything I can get my hands on until I literally feel stuffed. The feeling will go around 4:30pm and I will be ok until dinnertime.

Its the feeling so hungry I feel sick that I cant cope with, even drinking water just makes me feel worse. Any ideas what I can do to combat this. Im stuck in a rut and don't know what I can do and eat.

I have a two year old and a 3 year old to look after and suffer with anxiety so I cant go out for a walk with them to distract myself and a lot of the time I start to become quite stroppy and struggle to cope with entertaining them when I feel like this.

I probably should eat more for my lunch or snacks, but I have no idea what to eat as I don't want to try and fill gaps with things like crisps, and don't usually have the time to stand and cook something with having the girls to look after and entertain.
Thank you

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I love porridge but it doesn't keep me full unless I have 500 calories of the stuff!

Try different breakfasts. Porridge and then fruit is carbtastic... try adding in some more fat and protein.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Oats does nothing for my hunger levels - if I eat in the morning I have to have something protein based, usually eggs with vegies and cheese.

The "if" is rare - I find I feel less hungry during the day if I don't eat until later. Don't get me wrong, I wake up feeling hungry, but I'm busy and it's ignorable. If I eat, I'm hungrier all day and could eat my arm off!

I would try to incorporate more protein based meals - you can keep hb eggs handy, or meats/cheese, and have them with vegies, or get some protein powder for a smoothie (add some fruit and fat). Dinner leftovers are fine for breakfast - it would be quick and easy for you!
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    If you're running around after two kids, are you sure you're eating enough? Porridge w/ AM isn't exactly high calorie - I'll be lucky if mine tops out at 200cals - and if you're not snacking on anything substantial either then of course you're going to be hungry. Try and fit some nuts in as well as other good proteins people have suggested. :smile:
  • Alexandra_Faller
    Alexandra_Faller Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Im trying to loose around 70lbs so I need to make sure my meals aren't hugely calorific. I don't think I could ever eat leftovers from dinner for breakfast, Im too used to having cereal/oats. I have protein powder so I will try and fit that in.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Im trying to loose around 70lbs so I need to make sure my meals aren't hugely calorific. I don't think I could ever eat leftovers from dinner for breakfast, Im too used to having cereal/oats. I have protein powder so I will try and fit that in.

I have protein enriched cereal most days which is a lot more filling than porridge or normal cereal and gets me 18g of protein.

Boiled eggs or cheese are great snacks.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Aim to hit your calorie goal every day - plan ahead, tweak meal timings and composition, to make it so. Eat a variety of foods, focus on fat, protein and vegetables for all meals, and no snacking.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

You can eat what you like, when you like! There are no rules (even if the mum in you is saying "no cereal for dinner"!) :)

I find having less meals, but bigger meals, more satisfying than lots of snacks throughout the day. Try playing around with meal timings and macro breakdowns to help you feel good during your deficit
  • glassofroses
    Options

What is your calorie intake for the day? Your height? Your weight loss goal set to (0.5-2lb)?
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I don't make it to lunch on oatmeal either unless it is a lot - I have yoghurt and fruit for breakfast and a fruitsnack (usually an apple) in the morning - by having it that way I know I can make it to lunch quite easily, it keeps me filled. It is different for everybody though.
    Having oats/cereal for breakfast is not a pre-requisite/must/have-to/carved in stone thing. Find the breakfast that fits you and your lifestyle. Try the recipe section here - or google Lots of possibilities that are also easy to fit in with a busy schedule.

I also second the planning - if you know ahead of time what you will eat en sort of when it can help to get rid of the hunger pang. But it will also help to determine what works for you. And remember just because it works for another person in satiety there is no guarantee that it will work in the same way for you
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    No matter how much you have to lose, you don't want to eat too few calories. The other thing is to log your exercise and eat back the calories you earn exercising. I feel much less hungry on days I get a lot of exercise in. Take the kids for a walk in the stroller and log it--extra meal! And yes, as others are saying, switch things up. Different foods, bigger meals early in the day may help, more protein and fiber.
  • WhiT3Kr0w
    WhiT3Kr0w Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Read about ketogenic diet. It will keep your hunger in check and it will aid you in losing those extra pounds. I've started just a week ago and I'm seeing results already. I don't feel the hunger/cravings I used to when in a normal high carb diet. Also lost a bit of weight although in this initial phase was mostly water stored in the body.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    WhiT3Kr0w wrote: »
    Read about ketogenic diet. It will keep your hunger in check and it will aid you in losing those extra pounds. I've started just a week ago and I'm seeing results already. I don't feel the hunger/cravings I used to when in a normal high carb diet. Also lost a bit of weight although in this initial phase was mostly water stored in the body.

The "extra" weight loss is literally just the water loss from limiting carbs. Eating keto in a deficit is no different to including carbs in a deficit. If the OP feels more satisfied eating that way - great! It's not a magical way of eating though, and won't suit everyone (just like any way of eating, which is why experimenting and being open to trying new things is important)
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Basically what you're saying is you start with a dose of carbs and very little protein, and then, if you get hungry, you eat another source of carbs. Even if you don't want to eat dinner leftovers for breakfast, it's a pretty solid recommendation from almost every source on eating out there that keeping satiated at the beginning of the day is best supported by a quality protein source. Even if you swapped the almond milk for regular milk, your protein intake for that breakfast would more than double. You could try getting protein-enriched almond milk, pairing it with yogurt, having an egg, using a piece of cheese as a morning snack, having a protein shake, etc etc...

I agree that it's important to make sure your goals are reasonable as well. Just because you have 70lbs to lose does not mean that a reasonable goal is automatically 1200 calories a day or working at 2lbs/week of loss. If your body is telling you that it's that famished by the middle of the day, it means that most likely, you are not feeding yourself what you need in order to sustain the lifestyle that you are currently keeping.

Also didn't see any talk about water intake either... Which may or may not play a part in this. If I was super hungry shortly after breakfast and I was sure I ate enough for said breakfast, my go to wouldn't be a banana, it would be 16oz of water.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    if i have plain oatmeal with milk i get hungry too. however, if i incorporate my protein powder and some fruit with it, it keeps me full for a long time. A couples of times i added greek yoghurt in the oatmeal (together with the fruit and protein powder )and i was stuffed for hours. milk+ oats=200calories (me-> hungry) milk+oats+yoghurt+fruit+protein powder=400calories (me -> not at all hungry).Try some combinations and see what works for you.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    What did you eat for breakfast before dieting? Did you also feel hungry afterwards, too? How many calories are you eating overall and are you exercising? This could be caused by many things, from oatmeal not being satiating for you, to your general intake being too low in calories and/or fat, to not getting enough protein, to over-exercising, to not sleeping enough, to not fueling your activity level, to doing better without breakfast altogether...etc.

You need to identify the cause for you. It amazes me how different people are. 400 calories of oatmeal keeps me full for 6 or so hours, but people respond differently to different foods.
  • Alexandra_Faller
    Alexandra_Faller Posts: 25 Member
    Options

What is your calorie intake for the day? Your height? Your weight loss goal set to (0.5-2lb)?

1200 calorie goal, im 5'4 and my goal is set to 2lbs a week.

I usually go for a walk every morning before breakfast for 30 minutes just to get me out of the house for at least once that day while there are few people around, and to aim for my 10,000 steps a day. Other than that I dont do any exercise so its set as Lightly active.

The reason I wouldn't eat leftovers for breakfast is mostly because it makes me feel sick the thought of eating something like spaghetti bolognaise for my breakfast.

I came from doing Weight Watchers and have never managed to balance calories through the day which is why I eat only porridge and almond milk for breakfast. Before dieting, I would have eaten about 4 weetabix with a bowl full of milk or a ginormous bowl of cereal of some sort. Basically my portion sizes were far too big.

I will incorporate protein powder and perhaps some yoghurt with it. Maybe overnight oats would be better as that has fruit and yoghurt already bundled in.

I also drink 2 litres of water a day (sorry I dont know what that is in fl oz)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I also suggest increasing the protein at breakfast. Maybe try a tablespoon each of peanut butter and yogurt with your oatmeal.

Your mid morning snack might include protein as well.

Do you like hard boiled eggs?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    With 10,000 steps you are generally considered "active", so you could afford to eat more. You could also set your weight loss to 1.5 pounds a week or even 1 pound a week if you don't have much to lose which would give you a higher calorie budget.

Have you considered replacing almond milk with full fat milk in your porridge to see if it makes a difference for you? Some people feel fuller when they eat enough fat. Do you like eggs? Yogurt? Cheese? All of these are alright on protein and don't require too much preparation. 4 Weetabix biscuits and a cup of full fat milk comes at about 400 calories or something. That's not too bad calorie-wise if nothing else works and that's what it takes to keep you full, and if you increase your calorie budget it would fit right in without affecting your other meals too much.
  • prinses_mathilde
    prinses_mathilde Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey Alexandra! Looks like you've got a lot on your hands. Don't be too hard on yourself: managing two toddlers while anxiety is creeping around the corner is hard enough even without watching your caloric intake.
    That said, I'm just gonna repeat what everybody else already posted: proteins and fats are perfect for hungry tummies :) If you are really feeling so sick, you just need to eat something, that's your body saying "I NEED NUTRITION". You should listen to that.
    Take care of yourself! :)
  • glassofroses
    edited April 2017
    Options

1200 calorie goal, im 5'4 and my goal is set to 2lbs a week.

I usually go for a walk every morning before breakfast for 30 minutes just to get me out of the house for at least once that day while there are few people around, and to aim for my 10,000 steps a day. Other than that I dont do any exercise so its set as Lightly active.

The reason I wouldn't eat leftovers for breakfast is mostly because it makes me feel sick the thought of eating something like spaghetti bolognaise for my breakfast.

I came from doing Weight Watchers and have never managed to balance calories through the day which is why I eat only porridge and almond milk for breakfast. Before dieting, I would have eaten about 4 weetabix with a bowl full of milk or a ginormous bowl of cereal of some sort. Basically my portion sizes were far too big.

I will incorporate protein powder and perhaps some yoghurt with it. Maybe overnight oats would be better as that has fruit and yoghurt already bundled in.

I also drink 2 litres of water a day (sorry I dont know what that is in fl oz)

With 70lbs to lose 1,200 cals is too low. If you were to hit a plateau you'd have nowhere to go because you can't reduce your calories anymore than you have. And if you're taking care of two kids and walking for 30 minutes a day too, then that's taking your calorie intake down even more. I'd up it to 1400cals (1500 if you felt comfortable there)* and eat half of your exercise calories back at the very least. Just to give you options later on. Yes, it will slow your rate of weight loss, not by much though, and you won't end up in the situation you're in now where you're too depleted to function. Weight loss is a long game and a smart one. Don't do yourself a disservice by undernourishing yourself in the name of rapidity.

Try and think of it less about calories as fueling your body throughout the day. 7:30am till lunch is a long time to go without food or to only give it something like a banana. The same with lunch til dinner. If you really can't do the snacking thing then your meals are going to have to be a lot more substantial. :smile:

*if you decide to do this you will see an initial weight increase as your body fluctuates to having more food in its system. It's water weight and nothing to worry about.