Salads

Options
Those who eat a lot of salad I have a question for you. I'm gonna start eating a lot more salads and I need to know 2 things:
1-what are good healthy toppings to use that are budget friendly?
2-what are good healthy dressings to use that are budget friendly?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by toppings?
    My salads have ingredients - often its just a mix of grated carrot/Beetroot, tomato, Red pepper, cucumber celery, alfalfa sprouts, sprouted mung beans/chick peas etc, smushed avo, some cheese and ACV on cos lettuce. I have that with whatever protein were eating..

Roast vegies are good in salad, with spinach, some cheese (like feta), nuts for crunch, drizzle of balsamic/evoo

Mixing grain through salad can be nice - quinoa with mixed leaves, then whatever other vegies you want.

I try and use ingredients that will add "dressing" - avo, soft boiled eggs, cheese etc. Yoghurt based dressings are quite nice and add a bit of creaminess without lots of fat.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    k9h9zix89fa8.jpg

Pork loin (100g) peppers, onions and a couple raspberries with some olive oil spray and balsamic glaze. I have it with garlic Texas toast and it's usually around 350-400 calories depending. It's pretty budget friendly in that one pepper and red onion will last me 4 salads easily. Pork is always on sale and those Texas toasts are 4$ for 4 loafs at Costco
  • ja20102004
    ja20102004 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I just make a simple lettuce, tomato, carrot salad with grilled chicken. I use like maybe 2 small spoonful of ranch dressing. Sunflower seeds
  • melsout7
    melsout7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Avocado, feta...apple cider vinegar mixed with a little garlic and macadamia oil is nice
  • sandeegriffin
    sandeegriffin Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My salads have ingredients - often its just a mix of grated carrot/Beetroot, tomato, Red pepper, cucumber celery, alfalfa sprouts, sprouted mung beans/chick peas etc, smushed avo, some cheese and ACV on cos lettuce. I have that with whatever protein were eating..

Roast vegies are good in salad, with spinach, some cheese (like feta), nuts for crunch, drizzle of balsamic/evoo

Mixing grain through salad can be nice - quinoa with mixed leaves, then whatever other vegies you want.

I try and use ingredients that will add "dressing" - avo, soft boiled eggs, cheese etc. Yoghurt based dressings are quite nice and add a bit of creaminess without lots of fat.

What I mean by toppings is things like croutons, and cheese...
  • Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    This might be weird but I love to put cottage cheese on my salads. It adds some protein since I'm not a big meat eater. It also helps because I can use less salad dressing since the cottage cheese coats everything.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Wow, a lot,of fancy salad eaters here. I love salad as my go to staple every day because I keep it simple.
    A mix of iceberg.....yes the dreaded iceberg lettuce along with some fancy lettuces you buy in a bag. I just mix some in with
    the iceberg to get a nice blend. Adds a lot of bulk and is filling with minimal calories. Add some chopped onion, maybe shredded
    carrots a bit of red cabbage. I can make a big bowl of this and use it for a few days. I add to it as needed to change it up
    a bit with leftovers like grilled chicken, some pieces of steak, pepperoni, cheese or broccoli . I just don't do fancy sprouts, seeds, or other
    stuff.
    The dressing will make,or break you. You can have a great low cal salad and blow it with hundreds of calories worth of dressing.
    Any of the creamy or high oil dressings usually will be high in cals. Might as well order a pizza.
    I stick with red wine vinegar with a little bit of oil. Add seasonings to taste and I actually add sweet and low to my dressing to
    offset the vinegar taste.
    I have salad every day for lunch at work and have not yet tired of it. I still look forward to it.

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My goto is 85g Romaine, 20g Shredded carrots, 28g Fat free Feta, 50g Avacado, 7g Salted Pecans, 7g Crunch Stick things, 2 tbsp Bolt house Cilantro Avacado dressing and 84g Frozen Grilled Chicken cubes (nuke em). It's like 320 cal and decent filling

ate and measured so many times that was all off top of my head. scary.. yet I can't recall the name of those stupid crunchy things lol

sometimes I swap hard boiled egg for chicken
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I also go with Bolthouse Farms dressing. All the flavors are great and low cal.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I love a big mixed green salad with taco meat and low fat sour cream as dressing. I could eat that every day - I love the crunch, the different textures and temperatures (cold lettuce, warm taco meat) and of course the taste. I like it spicy and the greens and sour cream temper that heat. No cheese, no croutons, no guac (yuck).
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    I love a big mixed green salad with taco meat and low fat sour cream as dressing. I could eat that every day - I love the crunch, the different textures and temperatures (cold lettuce, warm taco meat) and of course the taste. I like it spicy and the greens and sour cream temper that heat. No cheese, no croutons, no guac (yuck).

Taco salad is one of our go to dinners. I do have some cheese though. It's around 650 calories.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options

What I mean by toppings is things like croutons, and cheese...

Unless you really like croutons, they're probably not worth the calories (or the money, unless you're making them yourself). But decide for yourself -- look at the cost and calories and nutrition of the croutons you would use -- or anything else you would add to your salad, for that matter -- and decided if it makes sense within your financial and nutritional budget.

There's already been a lot of good suggestions on this thread. I like tomatoes, cabbage, beet, avocado, crumbled goat cheese, berries, nuts (usually almonds), chickpeas, kidney beans, eggs (hard-boiled, poached, or over-easy) and meat/poultry/fish. Not all at once.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Your second question was "budget-friendly" - making your own is the best on that, plus you control all the contents. When I go commercial, Bolthouse and Litehouse are pretty good.

Your first question, on toppings: "anything goes!" If you like it, try it ...

I made up a batch of red cabbage-carrot slaw tonight to go with grilled "bbq" chicken. Cabbage, carrots, celery, red onion buzzed through the food processor. Lightly dressed with a greek-yogurt-based homemade dressing. This was a very colorful dish and set off the chicken really well.

This being the start of summertime "grill-and-salads" season here, I'm on the hunt for a broad variety of healthy, flavorful and economical salads.

I make about 75% of the dressings we use. Not only just a spectrum of herby vinaigrettes (multiple types of vinegars and citrus for the acid, plus balsamic), but ranch, blue cheese, green goddess and catalina (so far).

For the creamy dressing types, I often use yogurt as a replacement for mayo - mostly greek style, but also good, plain "regular" - but always whole milk and not low- or non-fat, with also sour cream/creme freche and/or buttermilk in the mix as needed. I happened to have Stoneyfield Plain Whole Milk Greek on-hand this week and used in the slaw. I buy yogurts by the quart for uses from smoothies to dressings to marinades (plus just eatin'). Many years ago, I also made my own yogurt but can't be bothered now; that would take even more expense out of the equation with homemade.

I have a second head of red cabbage that I'm going to experiment with making an Asian-style slaw with appropriate dressing (citrus, sesame, ginger, etc. - TBD - I'm studying recipes); probably Tuesday.

My daughter is encouraging me to experiment with berry vinaigrettes - I haven't done much in that vein yet.

Don't just think a salad is a "side" - it can be the meal, and you can make them pretty hearty and wild, not just a "greens and veggies" dish. And still stay on the healthy track of course, LOL.

Good luck.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I hate salad dressing.

I also do not generally eat croutons but I add flavor to my greens with shredded carrots, shredded cheese, bacon that I fried and shredded into bits, hard boiled eggs, chicken, avocado, mushrooms, black olives, tomatoes, etc
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I eat a large, mixing bowl size, salad every day for lunch. Since my diet is based around a large quantity of veggies and fruit, salads are an easy way to get veggies in, with minimal fuss :) I'm also a frugal shopper and get most of my salad fixings at Aldi.

Today's salad (which I'm eating right now lol)-
    -spring mix
    -spinach
    -red bell pepper
    -tomato
    -black olives
    -refried beans (warmed)
    -hot sauce
    -Kraft fat free catalina dressing (only 50 calories for 2tbsp)
    -chili cheese fritos

=266 grams of veggies/464 calories