To log or not to log?

Options
124»

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I logged every morsel every day for a year and lost weight and them maintained. I stopped logging and gained 10# very quickly. It's obviously your call, but if you are trying to lose weight, I highly recommend it.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Bottom line, unless you weigh and log everything you will never know how much you are putting in your body. If that's important log, if not don't.
  • ambermmattox
    ambermmattox Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I haven't been here long, but logging helps me. I don't weigh everything out like I use to, but I over-guess so I'm actually eating a little less calories than this app says I am. So if I drank half a soda with lunch, I put that I drank the whole thing. That way when I want a small snack, I don't stress out that I can't have it.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    nature68 wrote: »
    I can't seem to commit to logging my food daily so I am going to eat less and see what happens ...
    I know by now what makes me gain weight and it's eating past 6 pm ... that is my biggest downfall , so I am going to stop doing that and drink more water thew out the day ...
    That's my plan <3

You don't gain from eating past 6pm. You gain weight from eating more calories than you burn, regardless of what time a day. You might restrict too much early in the day and binge at night. I work night shift and most of my calories are eaten between 9 pm and 6 am at least 5-6 nights a week. I've lost 60+ pounds.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I don't do well with a meal plan because ... life happens. Birthdays, holidays, entertaining. I do much better with logging and it only takes a few minutes once you are used to doing it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    nature68 wrote: »
    After 6 pm I am not as active as I am during the day so if I eat after 6 pm I notice I gain weight the next day , but if I don't eat anything after 6 pm I lose weight ... But I see what you are saying .

I get that, too, about being less active at certain times. Wonder if it's not necessarily true weight gain as opposed to water retention?

In the end, we all have to find our own groove. :)

Yup, water weight & digestive system contents.
  • yancystreet
    yancystreet Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have done both.

I seem to be more successful when I am logging. It gets me to think about what eat and should eat. There are a number of times when I have something new and am surprised by the massive calorie numbers. Its usually worth it :wink:
  • suegottler
    suegottler Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat. It helps me figure out what I am doing wrong. Too much sodium, not enough vitamins. It is working best for me.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    I eat pretty much the same thing every weekday (roughly 1800 cals.), so I rarely bother to log it.

But logging religiously is what led me to the eating patterns that work for me.

I'd say that you should log for at least the first couple of months because it's very educational.

Exact same for me. But it's rare. I've met very few people who can maintain consistency without logging.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've been religiously logging for the last month. It has done wonders for me. The only person I'm hurting or lying to by not logging everything I put in my mouth is me. I really have to keep a watch on my sodium intake. I have imported lots of recipes I use all the time and I also like to import recipes I see on the internet, just to check them out. I also made my diary public, in case I start having trouble and need to ask for help.