Apple cider vinegar made me feel so sick

Options

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    You can find the downside to everything. I'm not saying gulp down ACV but if you mix ACV with natural ingredients like honey and cayenne in small doses, it's very beneficial. It's a natural blood thinner, that's why it gives you the energy and alertness not to mention it helps flush your kidneys. Your bladder also benefits from using ACV, it's a natural antibiotic as well. It will boost your metabolism BUT these people who are doing these videos and saying they lost 100 pounds or whatever and want you to buy their product are full of it. You have to do your research. There's no quick fix to losing the weight. You have to put in the effort and be accountable with your caloric needs.

It is not a natural antibiotic - although plausible it has some effect on minor bladder issues, the same way commercial products like Ural sachets do.
    It will not boost your metabolism and it is not a blood thinner.
    Unless people have a medical need for blood thinners ( in which case they should be using real ones like aspirin or warfarin under medical supervision) there is no point in blood thinning anyway.

Truth! I'd love to ditch the aspirin therapy, along with the bruising and bleeding and the risk of gastrointestinal bleeds, but I'm also fond of living and not having a DVT or stroke if I can help it :tongue:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    As someone who exercises a lot ... I can't quite drink the pickle juice, but I do like the pickles. And I eat them for the salt. The electrolytes.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    harcar2016 wrote: »
    Thank you but I am already doing that and I have been successful. I was just curious to see what people are saying about boosting metabolism..

It does nothing to boost your metabolism. ACV and weight loss nonsense has been around for decades. If it worked, it would be established practice already (not internet click bait).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Thank you but I am already doing that and I have been successful. I was just curious to see what people are saying about boosting metabolism..
    It DOESN'T boost metabolism.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    I literally was just curious about it. I heard it has quite a bit of health benefits. No need to argue with others, if you dont see the benefit just dont do it.

You should mix it with 1-2 tbs of honey. It will give you energy like you wouldn't believe. I don't understand all the negative comments about ACV. The benefits of using ACV are amazing! Why do athletes drink pickle juice? The vinegar gives a boost of energy. Look it up.
    Lol, because most of it is PSEUDOSCIENCE. And honey is SUGAR. Of course you'll get a boost of energy. Google will give so many BS suggestions on pickle juice with NO evidence to actually prove it works. That's how the diet and fitness industry is a billion dollar a year money maker.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    "The Myth
    Drinking pickle juice after exercise is a helpful way to replace sodium lost through sweat.
    The Basis
    Exercise, especially in the heat, can cause extensive sweating and sodium loss. In order to replace this lost sodium, a very salty fluid, like pickle juice is necessary.
    The Science
    While athletes can lose enormous amounts of sodium through sweat, drinking pickle juice to replace this sodium might not be the best answer. A 2 oz shot of pickle juice will provide 600–800 mg of sodium. However, the associated distaste limits how much sodium an athlete can replace by drinking pickle juice. More importantly is that shots of pickle juice after a hot game or practice don’t supply the necessary volume of fluid that is needed to help the body efficiently restore sodium (electrolyte) and fluid balance. Without restoring both electrolyte and fluid balances, the athlete is still susceptible to overheating, poorer performance, and delayed recovery.
    If an athlete can tolerate the taste of 4–5 oz of pickle juice, the minimal amount (2,500–5,000 mg) necessary to help replace a typical sodium loss during 1 hour of activity, while consuming lots of fluids to replenish body water lost and aid in excretion of any excess sodium, then there is no real physiological harm in drinking pickle juice. However, it might be easier and tastier to replace sodium and fluid losses by adding a 1⁄4 to 1⁄2 teaspoon of salt to a sports beverage."

Yeah, I have done both the ACV and honey AND the pickle juice for extra energy.... (not weight loss) and know it works. The pickle juice also helps curb my craving for sweets. To each their own.
    Ah, so it's anecdotal. Makes sense now.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    I literally was just curious about it. I heard it has quite a bit of health benefits. No need to argue with others, if you dont see the benefit just dont do it.

You should mix it with 1-2 tbs of honey. It will give you energy like you wouldn't believe. I don't understand all the negative comments about ACV. The benefits of using ACV are amazing! Why do athletes drink pickle juice? The vinegar gives a boost of energy. Look it up.

I don't think people are negative about acv in itself - there are many posters who like it on salads and on pulled pork etc.
    Some who find it helps with reflux, I think.
    And the usual consensus is If you like drinking it, do it.

But yes, we are negative about it as a magic weight loss miracle - because it isn't one.

I was just wondering in general why most of the replies were against using ACV not just using it for weight loss.
    I also wanted to help the OP to use the ACV in addition to other ingredients and not just by itself.
    If it makes her sick and there ISN'T any benefit to weight loss or metabolic boost, wouldn't the better answer be "no need to take it then?"

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

What you are hearing is wrong and there is no benefit to taking it.

There is potentially a small benefit regarding blood sugar control to eating any type of vinegar but this is promising initial research so nothing is proven yet.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You can find the downside to everything. I'm not saying gulp down ACV but if you mix ACV with natural ingredients like honey and cayenne in small doses, it's very beneficial. It's a natural blood thinner, that's why it gives you the energy and alertness not to mention it helps flush your kidneys. Your bladder also benefits from using ACV, it's a natural antibiotic as well. It will boost your metabolism BUT these people who are doing these videos and saying they lost 100 pounds or whatever and want you to buy their product are full of it. You have to do your research. There's no quick fix to losing the weight. You have to put in the effort and be accountable with your caloric needs.
    The key is doing verifiable and scientific evidenced based research. Research DOESN'T mean googling "is ACV beneficial" seeing a thousand "woo" sites and making the conclusion that if that many say it's great, it must be.
    Based on ACTUAL RESEARCH, there's no real benefit to speak of from ACV, but there's no real harm if people WANT to do it based on crap they here from Dr. Oz and others.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

No it isn't. All of the supposed benefits of ACV you mention do not exist, except it does act as a mild antibacterial if you clean with it.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Taking a shot of it plain is about the silliest thing I've ever heard of. Just put a tablespoon in some salad dressing every day instead. You get the same health benefits from it that way. Other days you can have fresh squeezed lemon. Everyone has all these "healthy potions" backwards. Eat healthy and things work better including and everything works better including fat loss. These things don't cause fat loss, they stop hindering fat loss (caused by eating too much food chemicals, sugar, or whatever else you do in excess). Keep it simple and basic, there is nothing new, everyone just tries to find some magic and the magic is really in the basic keeping it simple and using common sense and logic a little more.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    ACV and drizzle it on Lumpia. Yum.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If you don't dilute it properly you are asking or stomach pain. How much was this "shot"? A tablespoon? Two tablespoons? More?
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Drinking straight ACV is not wise. It was part of my disordered eating routine for many years. I now have weak/missing enamel that I believe the ACV helped contribute to, among other factors. My bicuspid recently fractured, and I have an appointment to have it extracted (after almost 6 months wait). The pain was (and is) quite exquisite. I was able to secure this "earlier" appointment by opting for a cheaper local anesthetic instead of full anesthesia. I've been told to expect a myriad of complications because the particular tooth potentially exposes a sinus area. In any case, I'd suggest finding another way of consuming ACV so you don't risk further health problems from prolonged use in this manner. Feel better soon, and be careful!
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Yeah no.

But but... energy!

Am I the only one who also finds the thought of downing 2T of honey revolting?

1 tablespoon of honey also has approximately 16g sugar and that will boost energy but I also find it revolting.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

You can't be serious? There are NO benefits to drinking vinegar. Science, the countless studies on acv tells us that.

You know what boosts energy in that drink? The sugar from the honey. Yes, honey is sugar too.

The "negative"comments come from those who have done their scientific and/or personal research. They understand exactly how fat loss and digestion works. Why would ingesting a weaker acid than what stomach acid is be helpful to digestion? I think stomach acid has got this.
  • Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    Options

You can't be serious? There are NO benefits to drinking vinegar. Science, the countless studies on acv tells us that.

You know what boosts energy in that drink? The sugar from the honey. Yes, honey is sugar too.

The "negative"comments come from those who have done their scientific and/or personal research. They understand exactly how fat loss and digestion works. Why would ingesting a weaker acid than what stomach acid is be helpful to digestion? I think stomach acid has got this.

Tell that to my gallbladder. Apple Cider Vinegar dissolved my gallstones. No it is not an overnight miracle, it is an accumulated result that takes time and patience. Instead of opting for surgery I opted for a natural remedy. I would do it again if need be.
  • cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    maybe mix it with some water? that's how i drink it.