Extremely slow weight loss despite cal deficit ?

I'm working out (jogging and weights) doing my 10k steps on fit bit too. I stick to no less than 1300 and no more than 1500 Cals every day yet my losses are v v small if anything. If by any chance I have a meal out and decide to eat a pudding ... The next day I guarantee I will gain two or or more pounds. I can't understand why. What am I doing wrong? Any tips pls

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    How much weight are you trying to lose? If it isn't much the process tends to be slower.

I know I have lost very slow this time around but, I came here to lose 30lb and was just above my healthy range when I started. It took a year to lose the 20lb I needed to for health (.25-.5lb a week) and now the 10 vanity lbs are coming off even slower. Last time I did this I was much larger and dropped 86lb in a year.
  • RobBasss
    RobBasss Posts: 65 Member
    With exercise that is a VERY low calorie count, your body might be starvation mode and hanging on to everything it can. Trying going up to a safer 1800 net for a couple of weeks to see if your body adjusts and the weight starts slowly coming off.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited April 2017
    RobBasss wrote: »
    With exercise that is a VERY low calorie count, your body might be starvation mode and hanging on to everything it can. Trying going up to a safer 1800 net for a couple of weeks to see if your body adjusts and the weight starts slowly coming off.
    No. Unless you know OP personally and are with them 24/7, you cannot throw this blind advice at them.

bbell1985 wrote: »

There is no such thing as starvation mode.

You don't know anything about the OP, therefore you can not say that it is a VERY low calorie count.

You also can't tell someone to randomly eat 1800 calories. For me that is TDEE. I'd maintain.

This 100%
  • ilegare843
    ilegare843 Posts: 15 Member
    My goal is to loose 5 lbs every week and i only check my weight on sunday. I set my calorie goal at 1200 with light exercise and I'm doing quite well. If you want, your welcome to look at my food diary.
  • RobBasss
    edited April 2017
    Why Low-Calorie Diets Slow Your Metabolism

If you are on a very low-calorie diet, you may wonder why the numbers on your scale aren’t budging, but your diet buddy is slimmer by the month.

The reality is that different people respond differently to low-calorie diets. When your body senses that food may not be in plentiful supply, it may slow down your metabolism as protection against the possibility of starvation, even if you are obese and deliberately trying to lose weight.

I guess Internet information is wrong... these so called experts, my apologies, carry on.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    How much have you lost in what time frame?

How much do you have to lose altogether?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member

If you are on a very low-calorie diet, you may wonder why the numbers on your scale aren’t budging, but your diet buddy is slimmer by the month.

The reality is that different people respond differently to low-calorie diets. When your body senses that food may not be in plentiful supply, it may slow down your metabolism as protection against the possibility of starvation, even if you are obese and deliberately trying to lose weight.

I guess Internet information is wrong..

Source for this?

And as a counter: aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • RobBasss
    edited April 2017
    malibu927 wrote: »

Source for this?

http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/can-more-calories-equal-more-weight-loss.aspx

By Madeline R. Vann, MPH

Medically Reviewed by Lindsey Marcellin, MD, MPH

But you all are right, know nothing about OP and should not try to help, I was just in a similar situation during my weight loss journey, 5 hours of cardio and weights, eating 1500 cals and NO CHANGE, was so dishearting, talked to my doctor who is super fit, he told me I needed to eat more and in 2 weeks the weight started coming off again.

Also its the internet for every accredited article you can find one that says the opposite, that is what is annoying at times, usually the truth is somewhere in the middle, I don't blindly dismiss anything though...
  • Pandakins1969
    Pandakins1969 Posts: 13 Member
    Put up your stats and open your diary hun...there are lots of very experienced people here who can look at this as a whole for you and advise where you're going wrong..if you actually even are. This may just be normal weight loss for you. No two people are the same even if you take two the same size and put them on the same diet..their weight loss won't necessarily be the same.
    Good Luck
  • new_arc87
    new_arc87 Posts: 38 Member
    Are you gaining muscle in the process?

Because a pound of muscle requires less calories than a pound of fat. So I wonder if your fat loss is offset by muscle gain. If so, you may not be losing weight but are changing your body composition for the better.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    new_arc87 wrote: »
    Are you gaining muscle in the process?

Because a pound of muscle requires less calories than a pound of fat. So I wonder if your fat loss is offset by muscle gain. If so, you may not be losing weight but are changing your body composition for the better.

Doubtful, especially if OP is female.
  • elffkin
    elffkin Posts: 13 Member
    Hi, I also exercise and eat well: I don't starve.
    However, if I want to lose anything, I have to stay at 1000 cals per day, or less.
    I suppose if I added in more exercise, I could eat more, but I can only do so much with my schedule.
    I am healthy and don't suffer from any issues staying at 1000. Just feel what your body wants and stay in touch with your doctor on a regular basis.
  • RobBasss
    kimny72 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »

Source for this?

http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/can-more-calories-equal-more-weight-loss.aspx

By Madeline R. Vann, MPH

Medically Reviewed by Lindsey Marcellin, MD, MPH

But you all are right, know nothing about OP and should not try to help.

Also its the internet for every accredited article you can find one that says the opposite, that is what is annoying at times, usually the truth is somewhere in the middle, I don't blindly dismiss anything though...

Unfortunately just because someone is a doctor doesn't mean they are knowledgeable about every aspect of health and many websites are curated or approved by "experts" that don't actually read any of the content.

Eating at a very large deficit for a long period of time can slow your metabolism a bit. But if OP is shorter than avg or already pretty light, 1300-1500 cals wouldn't be a large deficit, and it doesn't sound like she's been doing it for long.

OP, what is your current weight and goal weight? How long has it been and how much have you lost so far?

With an MPH you would think... :)

And I used the wrong term earlier, should have said reduced metabolic rate, but apparently that is a myth too, just like climate change B)
  • besli
    besli Posts: 24 Member
    Thank you for the information everyone. I need to lose around 25lbs to be back to my pre baby weight. The last month I have only lost two pound. But seem to keep losing and gaining that same two pounds. I have increased my workouts to four times a week.
    First I will do as suggested and really check I'm logging as accurately as possible. I think I am but It won't hurt to check my measurements and weights of fruit etc. I am into the lower end of the overweight category so thought I would still be losing around 1-2 pounds a week with my calorie deficit.