Design Your Own Diet

Options
Hello, Everyone. I am a very picky eater, and I have been on almost every diet anyone can ever name. I have trouble with portions, and I do a little better when I have something to follow. I am thinking about putting all my food into myfitnesspal the night before, and that will force me to prepare everything ahead of time AND know that I will stay within my calorie limit. Does anyone think this is a good idea? Thanks.
I'm 5'2, 144lbs, and I would like to lose 10 pounds by summer.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Sure. A lot of us pre-log our food. Try it out and see how you feel.
  • calton1
    calton1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great idea. I prelog my meals either the night before or early in the day.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I pre log up to my evening meal the night before.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I pre-log a week in advance and tweak things as needed - really helpful for keeping me on track.
  • JAGrogan
    JAGrogan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I pre-log but only on the same day. As I prepare everything up to 8 days in advance then I have already entered in my personal food dB on this site what I brought back from shopping or the recipes I made up so I don't waste hours everyday fumbling around with recipes and food entry on the myFitnessPal site. I found out if you share a food you entered you my not alter it in the future so if you've seen the mistakes made in the sites dB you know why I don't share food that I've entered in my dB anymore.

Also while I'm loosing weight I've kept very restricted what I eat so it's fast to prepare and fast to record - my variety is coming from condiments and spices - the recipes and foods stay the same. When I go to weight maintenance mode I will slowly expand my diet and add more foods and recipes and do it in a way they is enjoyable not a task.

I've seen that MyFitnessPal calorie distribution default says 30% of your calories per day from fat however it seems to me if you eat 30% fat then your body will be 30% fat so I changed the default distribution to what I've heard since a child is average healthy mans fat percentages of between 10% - 15%. Women is 18% - 22% if I remember right. Carbs and Proteins I let percentages fluctuate so long as I get at least 25% from protein. Although my preference is higher percentage of protein economics prevents that as well as being a vegetarian. Meat is really forbidden for me just on fat percentages and artificial hormones and antibiotics alone.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Pre-logging is a great idea (night before/morning of), and can really help you stay focused and on track :) I'm actually pre-logging my day tomorrow right now!
  • aimeetu
    aimeetu Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am always more successful when I pre-log my food as to doing as I go along.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I pre-log when I know I'll be going into a 'food I can't necessarily weigh/log when I'm there' situation. (Restaurant, social gathering, being Orthodox Jewish and not writing things down on the Sabbath.)

Not only does it help me stay on track, but if I'm honest with myself about what I want to eat and log it in advance so I know I've got the calories for it... then I stay on the rails. Partly because if I 'budgeted' 160 calories for a frosted cookie and know it's not putting me over, then all I have is that cookie—and not the anxiety and negative self-talk and guilt about 'blowing my diet' that's immediately followed up with 'Well, today's basically shot so I might as well keep going and get back on track tomorrow.' There's no need to get back on track. I'm still right where I want to be. And partly because when I know I'm 'allowed' to have the treat, I find that I'm not eyeing the rest of the buffet with longing. I got something indulgent. It tasted great. I'm good. No need to sample it all.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    delongpre wrote: »
    Hello, Everyone. I am a very picky eater, and I have been on almost every diet anyone can ever name. I have trouble with portions, and I do a little better when I have something to follow. I am thinking about putting all my food into myfitnesspal the night before, and that will force me to prepare everything ahead of time AND know that I will stay within my calorie limit. Does anyone think this is a good idea? Thanks.

An attitude of 'forcing' yourself to do something is not good, focus on adapting to the feedback from your body. The portion size you prepare or reheat is far more influential than a pre-entry in your diary, it doesn't stop you from getting seconds. Do you include low cal bulk foods to fill you up?

Since you jump between diets, instead just create your own diet but then show perseverance in sticking to it.

• delongpre
    delongpre Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    delongpre wrote: »

An attitude of 'forcing' yourself to do something is not good, focus on adapting to the feedback from your body. The portion size you prepare or reheat is far more influential than a pre-entry in your diary, it doesn't stop you from getting seconds. Do you include low cal bulk foods to fill you up?

Since you jump between diets, instead just create your own diet but then show perseverance in sticking to it.

Uh...actually, I feel like my way of doing it is far less "force[ful] than anything I've done in the past. And please don't misunderstand: I don't 'jump between diets.' I've just struggled with weight-loss for many years, so I have a lot of experience with a number of different diets. And, of course, 'perseverance' is the key to success in anything.