Workout Schedule?!

Options
When is the best time to workout during the day. I usually find myself exercising in the evenings and sometimes mornings. Does it really matter? Chime in

Replies

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    irrelevant. completely and absolutely irrelevant. Maybe you won't sleep well if you work out at 10 11pm and try to goto bed at midnight but that about it
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter as long as you do it
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter, but since I have three kids, I tend to do it mostly in the morning when two of them are in school and the youngest can easily be put in a stroller for long walks.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have NEVER EVER been a morning exerciser...EVER lol...I always workout after work...which is 4pm for me...this works out perfectly for me because I can't workout after eating too much and at this time enough hours have passed from lunch so that I don't feel queasy :)
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Whenever you can find the time and you can do on a consistent basis, at least a few days a week.

I used to do evening but my workouts revved me up and I couldn't sleep. Though it's a drag to get up early I find morning workouts a great day to start my day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    whichever time fits your schedule best.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Personal preference and whatever fits best in to your daily life.

9/10 I work out in the morning because I like to and it fits.
  • Fitness_and_FODMAP
    Fitness_and_FODMAP Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I like to work out in a morning, but as I'm out of the house 11 hours a day for work, I end up doing my exercise in the evening, about 7pm just before dinner. At the weekends I like to get up and get my exercise done first thing, before showering and getting ready for the day ahead.

I love my evening exercises though, because after a stressful day at work I come home and do my indoor cycling or weight training and it clears my head, I work up an appetite and then when it's time for bed, I am well fed, tired and thoroughly de-stressed, so generally sleep a lot better - if I don't work out in the evenings I find I go to bed later, which is not ideal when you're working the next morning, or I go to bed at the usual time, but have a lousy nights sleep, which again, isn't great for work the next morning.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    whatever fits your schedule - I typically do weights in the am and cardio in the evenings
  • briohne128
    briohne128 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, its just personal preference. On some days I will work out in the mornings, some days in the evening. Sometimes I work out in the morning and evening, just whatever I fancy doing really lol.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I go after work Tuesdays and Thursdays to lift (and Sunday cause the gym is nice and dead) and every other day I just make sure to get 10K steps in (most nights that just means a 1hour walk after dinner or a few rounds around my building at work during the day.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    It just depends. I would love to be able to work out super-early, but I have to get my kids to school and it just doesn't work out. I usually end up working out later at night after kids in bed. We're talking 10 PM or later. I can definitely tell I'm more tired. (I was able to work out at lunch last week and I had SO much more energy.) Also, I come home around 11:30 and I'm absolutely wired and it's hard for me to get to sleep.
  • beaglebrandon
    beaglebrandon Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I had a mandatory 1 hour lunch. It only took me 15 minutes to eat - so I had 45 minutes to waste every day. It was too short of a time to go to the gym and workout, so I asked my boss if I could extend that to 2 hours. He agreed.

For the last year and a half, I've been working out every day 11am to 12:45 and eating lunch 12:45 to 1:00. Works perfectly for me. At the beginning, it 'forced' me to workout, because what else would I do with that 2 hour break? And I felt guilty if I didn't go to the gym and wasted the 2 hours some other way.

I enjoy going to the gym now since I 'forced' myself to do it. I don't think it would have worked for me if I had early morning or after work workouts. I would have blew off so many days as I'd want to sleep in or go home after work instead.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I had a mandatory 1 hour lunch. It only took me 15 minutes to eat - so I had 45 minutes to waste every day. It was too short of a time to go to the gym and workout, so I asked my boss if I could extend that to 2 hours. He agreed.

For the last year and a half, I've been working out every day 11am to 12:45 and eating lunch 12:45 to 1:00. Works perfectly for me. At the beginning, it 'forced' me to workout, because what else would I do with that 2 hour break? And I felt guilty if I didn't go to the gym and wasted the 2 hours some other way.

I enjoy going to the gym now since I 'forced' myself to do it. I don't think it would have worked for me if I had early morning or after work workouts. I would have blew off so many days as I'd want to sleep in or go home after work instead.

Ya, I often take a longer lunch and go workout or for a long walk. Getting some activity in at lunch time makes me more productive an energized in the afternoons, as well as less prone to the munchies.

When I had less flexibility at lunch I took a shorter walk.

When I tended to go to bed early, I went to the gym in the AM, and now that it works for my schedule to go to bed later, I go more at night, although my natural inclination would be to do it in the AM.

Also, if it's raining at lunch I'll do something indoors, like yoga, or go to the gym or ice skating rink where I used to live or the roller blading rink near my new place. I'll garden in a light rain.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    When my baby goes down to nap. Best time ever. ;)
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I usually prefer to do it first thing in the morning so its out of the way and done, however sometimes I am too tired in the morning and will let myself sleep in instead. I am not going to force myself to do cardio in the morning if I am feeling really tired, and I will try and do it after work. I aim to do 1 hour on my exercise bike, about 10 000 steps a day and 20 to 30 minutes of resistance training. Yes its a lot, so sometimes I don't do all of those steps or the exercise bike gets skipped. I love using my bike because I either put Netflix on or some great music like aerosmith or carrie underwood. Walking is something I really love too. I get a sore back sometimes and walking decreases that.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Whatever works best for you! That said, I like to work out first thing in the morning because:
    1 - It really wakes me up
    2 - When I get home from work and am tired, I don't want to lift weights/run. If I've already lifted/run before work, I can just come home and relax!
  • Ladaria180
    Ladaria180 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nice thanks!
  • brettr23
    brettr23 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Whenever you feel like it