Potassium!?

I find that at the end of the day I am getting VERY little potassium compared to the recommended daily amount. Has anyone else had this problem? Or am I the only one who's even looked at this? haha

If you have had this problem, what did you do to significantly up that amount??

Replies

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Potassium isn't something that's required on labels so often times what we log has it but it's not accounted for. I keep an eye on my potassium because it helps regulate my blood pressure. Most all food has at least some potassium but foods with higher amounts would be leafy greens, potatoes, sweet potatoes and squash. There are others too but those are the ones I eat the most so I know them. :wink:
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    My main sources of potassium is avocados, red beets with greens, and blackstrap molasses. I also sparingly supplement my potassium by using Lo Salt (60%/40% potassium/sodium)
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Potassium isn't something that's required on labels so often times what we log has it but it's not accounted for. I keep an eye on my potassium because it helps regulate my blood pressure. Most all food has at least some potassium but foods with higher amounts would be leafy greens, potatoes, sweet potatoes and squash. There are others too but those are the ones I eat the most so I know them. :wink:

On point. Veges are the answer.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Unless your diet consists mainly of meat, you probably are getting enough potassium. I find many of the food data basis are not complete and may not show all nutrients.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Unless your diet consists mainly of meat, you probably are getting enough potassium. I find many of the food data basis are not complete and may not show all nutrients.

Even then, so long as one isn't using a buttload of salt, their sodium to potassium ratios are likely fine. Beef, chicken, most fish, etc. have extremely solid P:S ratios. It's just usually not on the labels.
  • nickhinds88
    nickhinds88 Posts: 44 Member
    Cantaloupe dried apricots spinach black beans fish chicken potatoe avacado yams
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Potassium is not on labels most of the time as there is no requirement in place for it to be there. This will be changing soon though. I suspect that you are getting your potassium, just not seeing it as the units are not available in the existing databases.