Healthy food that isn't gross?

Options
So I've been basically eating what I have available to me as money is tight, the first 2 weeks were great and I lost 13 lbs. now I'm staying at that weight. What I eat isn't the healthiest, but that has been due to money issues, and I've been eating whatever I have / my neighbors feed me (they are too nice!) however this week is when I get paid and I need to know what is healthy that also tastes good to me. I don't like avocado or beans or any of the fancy weird healthy things like lentils or spinach, I do however like fresh veggies of most varieties as well as fruit (although I've heard fruits have a lot of natural sugars that don't aid in weight loss) I'm from the woods so everything I like is traditional basically , what can I eat that is healthy, tastes good to me, and doesn't require a culinary degree to cook!! Everything I find I don't know how to make. I'm not the best at cooking either haha. I know pop has to be cut. But the tap water here was under a boil order & wasn't safe for a while. I refuse to drink bottled water also because I have tested their ph levels and found that most are overly acidic and dangerous for consumption. Water is fine now and pop is out haha so what can I eat to lose the weight not maintain it? I love rice but not plain. What can I have with rice too? Anything helps, thanks!!!

Replies

• keeshaoliver1234
    keeshaoliver1234 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    They are disgusting to me haha, my aunt uses them in her eggs and weird stuff, too fancy for this hillbilly haha
  • keeshaoliver1234
    keeshaoliver1234 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That's my biggest issue, I don't really know what I like as I've never been able to experiment with foods. As a child my parents weren't the best, and rather than cooking meals we would eat out 2-3 times a day. So I know I like burgers and fries haha. I do like to try new things, but my bigger concern is having enough money for food for everyone in the house. My partner does not like the foods I do, she never has. And especially now that I'm trying to eat better. So I have to ensure the money will stretch all month for us both for food. Which is why I don't bother buying new veggies or things like that, because then if I don't like it, I end up having less food and less money.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I love lentil salad with garlic yogurt dressing (cook the lentils until just done and let them cool to room temperature, mix yogurt with what ever spices you like and a bit of lemon oil, add in whatever chopped veggies you like that you can stomach raw - I'm partial to carrots and cucumber - mix everything together and enjoy. A very refreshing hot day lunch for me :smile: ).

But really, this:
    pinuplove wrote: »
    So I've been basically eating what I have available to me as money is tight, the first 2 weeks were great and I lost 13 lbs. now I'm staying at that weight. What I eat isn't the healthiest, but that has been due to money issues, and I've been eating whatever I have / my neighbors feed me (they are too nice!) however this week is when I get paid and I need to know what is healthy that also tastes good to me. I don't like avocado or beans or any of the fancy weird healthy things like lentils or spinach, I do however like fresh veggies of most varieties as well as fruit (although I've heard fruits have a lot of natural sugars that don't aid in weight loss) I'm from the woods so everything I like is traditional basically , what can I eat that is healthy, tastes good to me, and doesn't require a culinary degree to cook!! Everything I find I don't know how to make. I'm not the best at cooking either haha. I know pop has to be cut. But the tap water here was under a boil order & wasn't safe for a while. I refuse to drink bottled water also because I have tested their ph levels and found that most are overly acidic and dangerous for consumption. Water is fine now and pop is out haha so what can I eat to lose the weight not maintain it? I love rice but not plain. What can I have with rice too? Anything helps, thanks!!!

You can start by eating foods you like in quantities that fit your calorie goal. Experiment with cooking techniques, sauces, and spices if you wish to expand your palate (I don't get the impression that you are very food-adventurous though. Lentils and spinach are weird and fancy? They are both very basic and versatile foods!)

Is probably some of the best advice. Start with what you like and know, learn what portion sizes are appropriate for you and then slowly expand from there. Like steamed carrots? Try them roasted for a change. Enjoy baked potatoes? Try it with yams for a change. And so on and so forth.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options

You can start by eating foods you like in quantities that fit your calorie goal. Experiment with cooking techniques, sauces, and spices if you wish to expand your palate (I don't get the impression that you are very food-adventurous though. Lentils and spinach are weird and fancy? They are both very basic and versatile foods!)

I second this. You know what you like to eat and what you enjoy. Eat those things. Just eat them in quantities that fit into your calorie goals.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Try new things. I am a country girl. My boyfriend bought hummus and little rice cakes a couple of weeks ago. I needed a low calorie snack and tried them. I am the new hummus addict. So yummy. Be open to try things. I love salads. I make my own Cobb salads. We even hit up and Italian carry out last week and I got crispy bbq chicken on their house salad. So yummy. I get some flavor of chicken or bacon and do not even need salad dressing.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Start with the things you know you like, and portion them to fit your calories. Add a small amount weekly of the things you wish to experiment with so it doesn't take a toll on your budget. After a while you will have discovered a few new things you might like to add to your usual meal rotation.

Start with things that are on sale and experiment around them, entering the ingredient into a recipe search website (google and pinterest work too) and browse the recipes until you find one that sounds appealing and the rest of the ingredients are common to you.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You could by frozen meals like Lean Cuisine and Weight Watchers that fit your calorie goal. Maybe add some extra frozen veggies or salad parts that you like and go from there.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Healthy eating is about getting the nutrients your body needs not a specific list of foods.
    Weight loss requires a calorie deficit. You can create a calorie deficit by consuming fewer calories, increasing activity and burning more calories or both.

My advice is to eat the food you normally eat and start logging. Stick to the calorie goal MFP gives you. Try to get enough protein, fats and fiber. Eat smaller portions of higher calorie foods and bigger portions of lower calorie foods.

If money is tight foods like beans, lentils, rice, pasta, chicken thighs, oatmeal, potatoes, tuna, bread, peanut butter, carrots, cabbage tend to be inexpensive. Soup is very economical and can be easy to make.
    http://www.budgetbytes.com has cost conscious recipes that my family has enjoyed.
    There are a lot of ways to prepare foods. If you do not like something one way it does not mean you will never like it. If you do not have the resources sometimes you have to learn to like foods that are initially not to your taste but are cheap like beans and lentils.
    http://www.lentils.org/recipes-cooking/recipes/

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10518784/healthy-food-choice-on-a-budget/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10500423/costing-a-lot-more-money-to-eat-healthier/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10490067/most-healthy-food-options-are-very-expensive-and-im-on-a-very-poor-budget-what-to-do/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10540613/eating-out-vs-buying-groceries/p1
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    For fries, slice up a potato and cook it in the oven. Yeah, they are not as crisp as deep fried, but they are far fewer calories and still pretty good (and cheap). I still like hamburgers. Just not 2-3 a day is all. And I dislike most veggies, but will have a cup of baby carrots and a cup of snap peas almost daily (raw only). You can figure it out and just go for what it is you like, just at the calorie limit you can handle.
  • cherilee0831
    cherilee0831 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am with you on not liking a lot of beans and vegetables but I am forcing myself to get use to some of the veggies. I have learned to like spaghetti squash and put on a little butter and Parmesan cheese or greens beans sauteed in sesame oil with almonds. Not my favorite but the little bit of added fats helped. You will get used to it over time...maybe. :)
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I like food, but hate cooking. The easiest thing I have found for me is to roast a whole chicken. Throw a chicken in a roasting pan (with a sliced onion, garlic, carrots, rosemary, whatever you like), cook on 350-400 for about 1.5-2.

I eat the meat, then put the bones, skin, fat into a pot with water, simmer for a couple of hours. The broth can be used for soup by just adding veggies/noodles. It should make at least 3 days of meals for 1 person.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I like food, but hate cooking. The easiest thing I have found for me is to roast a whole chicken. Throw a chicken in a roasting pan (with a sliced onion, garlic, carrots, rosemary, whatever you like), cook on 350-400 for about 1.5-2.

I eat the meat, then put the bones, skin, fat into a pot with water, simmer for a couple of hours. The broth can be used for soup by just adding veggies/noodles. It should make at least 3 days of meals for 1 person.

Throw some quartered Brussels sprouts on that pan and you've got something really good going on! :yum:
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Throw some quartered Brussels sprouts on that pan and you've got something really good going on! :yum:

See, all that you've added is stuff my wife would do, and I would pick off.

I'd rather grab a chicken from the deli, throw some french fries in the oven and have a packet of Swiss Chalet dipping sauce ready. Then have a salad or some raw veggies on the side.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

See, all that you've added is stuff my wife would do, and I would pick off.

I'd rather grab a chicken from the deli, throw some french fries in the oven and have a packet of Swiss Chalet dipping sauce ready. Then have a salad or some raw veggies on the side.

That's because you are truly dedicated to your filthy eater club membership :wink: Some of us just dabble.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I have always thought of lentils as the ultimate poor family's food, together with beans: cheap and used to add bulk in meals. It is the first time I have heard lentils being labeled "fancy".
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I have always thought of lentils as the ultimate poor family's food, together with beans: cheap and used to add bulk in meals. It is the first time I have heard lentils being labeled "fancy".

Or any of it as "gross".
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Try replacing lettuce with spinach on sandwiches etc, it's way different than cooked. Or just eat the lettuce!

Have you tried refried beans? I wait until the canned go on sale (I buy the vegetarian). But a cheap pack of tostadas or taco shells (usually go on sale with the beans). Put beans on tostada or taco, bake for 10 minutes. I don't eat meat, but you could always add ground meat as well. Shred some lettuce or spinach and throw some salsa or fresh tomatoes on top. It's simple, cheap, filling, goes far and my BF with the palette of a 5 year old loves them.

I find Mexican and Italian are easy to lighten up, and pretty cheap/kid-palette friendly. Plus it's easy to hide beans and veggies in there. You can also purée veggies and add to tomato sauce for pasta. I buy huge bags of frozen cauliflower and purée in my blender. Add to jarred sauce with some garlic and Italian seasoning. As long as you don't over do it you can't tell. The 5 year old doesn't even know! Eating healthy does not have to be complicated or fancy. I find recipes for kids to be the most helpful for the BF
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Growing up, I'd have to say that the way most cooked veggie sides were prepared in my house was 'Boil em to mush and serve with a dollop of butter or margarine and salt'. Sometimes we had spinach patties or Swiss chard patties, but that was bordering on the exotic (and triggered my gag reflex). So I kind of grew up hating veggies.

Then I went vegetarian at 19, but subsisted mostly on dairy, tofu, grains, and potatoes. No meat, but not really many veggies either. Until I tried a butternut squash casserole out of a magazine. And it was like an epiphany. "Hang on. I don't have to turn my veggies into mush? I can fix them other ways? Whoa..." And suddenly, I discovered that I liked spinach and kale and collards. In the right casserole, I loved turnips, and cauliflower and broccoli. As for Brussels sprouts... nope. Still loathe 'em, sorry.

Before you write off ingredients as 'gross' experiment with cooking them in different ways. Check out sites like Epicurious or VegetarianTimes.com. Or just plug [ingredient] recipes into Google and click away. Pinterest is another good resource. You might just discover a love for certain foods you never knew you could have.