Rest day

Options
abs1970
abs1970 Posts: 235 Member
Giving myself a well-deserved rest from training today..... I'm way too tired and I've eaten loads more carbs than I normally would. Just going with the flow and listening to my body :)

Replies

• strebor337
    strebor337 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Good call! Fitness is a cooperative effort between you and your bod.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Rest days are very important.
    Enjoy!
  • abs1970
    Options
    Enjoy!

Feels weird to be honest! I'm used to training every day unless I'm ill but today........ I just dgaf :D
  • abs1970
    Options
    strebor337 wrote: »
    Good call! Fitness is a cooperative effort between you and your bod.

Yep, I don't listen to my bod nearly often enough. But today I am!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Enjoy!

This. I prefer to pick my rest days than let my body make me take one or more because I got injured.
  • abs1970
    Options
    Enjoy!

This. I prefer to pick my rest days than let my body make me take one or more because I got injured.

Thankfully I'm not injured. Just had a crappy nights sleep and don't feel like I have the energy. Unusual for me to miss a day but going with it
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    abs1970 wrote: »
    Enjoy!

Thankfully I'm not injured. Just had a crappy nights sleep and don't feel like I have the energy. Unusual for me to miss a day but going with it

Good for you.
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Rest days are great especially after training hard. Let the body recover, do some light stretching or mobile work if you want to. Rest days are only a problem when they turn into rest weeks and rest months.
  • abs1970
    Options
    Rest days are great especially after training hard. Let the body recover, do some light stretching or mobile work if you want to. Rest days are only a problem when they turn into rest weeks and rest months.

Ha, I'm far too disciplined to let it last any longer than a day or two at the most :)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    For me, the value of rest days is the mental break more-so than the physical break.
  • abs1970
    Options

Ha, I'm far too disciplined to let it last any longer than a day or two at the most :)

Discipline can also be realising that rest days are just as important as training days, and that pushing yourself every day isn't necessarily the bets way to get results.

I know.... it's advice I've been given many times but chosen to ignore. Not any more. Training 4/5 days a week instead of every day plus eating more carbs. Giving it a month to see how my body reacts.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    That was me on Saturday. I had to take a second rest day of the week (already had one on Tuesday). I just felt beat up and exhausted so I listened to my body.
  • abs1970
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    That was me on Saturday. I had to take a second rest day of the week (already had one on Tuesday). I just felt beat up and exhausted so I listened to my body.

I feel your pain. I'm soooo tired today there's just no way I'm setting foot in the gym. Eating like a pig too but hey, its just one day right? :#
  • BaddS4
    BaddS4 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I look forward to my rest days but seldom seem to actually rest.. Especially now that the warm weather is here I find myself out puttering in the backyard, garden and garage all day long..lol. Just no gym on rest day!!! :smile:
  • _Phill727
    _Phill727 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    same here @BaddS4 Rest days end up being yard work days for me- which I actually find beneficial, a bit of active recovery
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Enjoy!

Feels weird to be honest! I'm used to training every day unless I'm ill but today........ I just dgaf :D

I only train hard 4 days a week. The rest of the week are either cardio or rest.
    On rest days I do some light walking, but there's rest days I don't do anything. There is no way I could be effective if I train every day.
  • sardelsa
    Options

I feel your pain. I'm soooo tired today there's just no way I'm setting foot in the gym. Eating like a pig too but hey, its just one day right? :#

Well if you saw what I've been eating​ everyday for the past 8 months (I'm currently bulking on a super high amount of cals) let's just say it gets out of hand sometimes.. :D
  • abs1970
    edited April 2017
    Options

Well if you saw what I've been eating​ everyday for the past 8 months (I'm currently bulking on a super high amount of cals) let's just say it gets out of hand sometimes.. :D

Can't i just do the cut bit without the bulk??? You know how I struggle to eat my calories as it is!! :D
  • sardelsa
    Options

Can't i just do the cut bit without the bulk??? You know how I struggle to eat my calories as it is!! :D

Of course..you definitely don't have to bulk. I enjoy it though! I mean I am used to eating like a machine.. and I eat a lot of ice cream which helps too ;)