Could use some help with "the right calorie count for ME" to lose

Options
Ok, i/m starting Crossfit this week and want to really lose some weight, fat%, etc. But each calculator I use they all give me different calories to consume. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm 47, 5'6", 174lbs, 27.5% BMI. I want to make sure I am eating right and creating a deficit, but not sure what the right amount is.

Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    ckana21 wrote: »
    Ok, i/m starting Crossfit this week and want to really lose some weight, fat%, etc. But each calculator I use they all give me different calories to consume. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm 47, 5'6", 174lbs, 27.5% BMI. I want to make sure I am eating right and creating a deficit, but not sure what the right amount is.

They should be relatively close. They are, however, only estimates - MFP is as well.

The TDEE calculators are intended for you to give a fair estimate of your activity. Then, depending on your desired weight loss, will give you a calorie input (estimate). For a 1 pound per week loss, for example, you would eat your estimated TDEE, less 500 calories per day.

MFP works from the other direction - giving you caloric input (estimate), based on your stats, activity level, and then adds calories if you burn more than the estimate.

Either method works. I've used both. They only work, however, if you track your input accurately and you estimate/track your output accurately. (The TDEE calculators shouldn't be too far off in terms of output).
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Pick one, any one, it doesn't matter.

Then try it out for about a month. Log all your food and all your exercise and see whether the weight loss is in the range you want. If not, adjust (up or down) and try again.

Ultimately, all the calculations are just approximations. Everybody's a little bit different in terms of their general activity etc; even at 'sedentary' there's a difference between someone who just sits immobile all day, and someone who fidgets a lot or is constantly moving between meetings. So while calculators will give you an idea of the sort of calorie range you should be in, you'll have to fine-tune the details for yourself.
  • seximama2017
    seximama2017 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It's very much like a scale... they are all different but within a range... find one that you will stick with (user friendly) and you should still see change... if you really want the tediousness and challenge, take on 2 or 3 (set an average with the cals across them) and do the same in all (note foods, workouts, etc) and you will still see a change.